What's new

Top tier shaving soaps and creams (the quest goes on)

Well, so far I have used VDH puck and shave butter, Wickham 1912 Magnum, Captain's Choice Bay Rum, and Dr. Jon's 8th Dimethion.
THe VDH is meh. no scent, and it is just a basic shave soap.
The Captain's Choice is obviously a good soap.
The Wickham is an artisan 'croap' and it's very slick, and the scent last a long time.
The one I'm on the fence about is the DR. Jon's. It felt a little irratiting when I used on Wed, but it' might have been because my face was very dry from my shower soap (Duke Cannon). I will give it another try. The scent is kind of odd, but it is pretty good. It's a hard soap, but I'm not sure if it was made that way. When I got it, the lid was loose. SO I won't say it's a 'bad' soap, but I need to reach out to them and see if it's supposed to be that way.

If you haven't tried the Wickham line, try it. They have several scents and matching balms.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My #1 soap is Wickham 1912. Closely followed by PdP which is closely followed by Phoenix & Beau.

My top creams are CRS, Captain's Choice and Nivea. Nivea is hard to beat at any price. CRS scents are spectacular, as are Captain's Choice.

As far as performance goes, Wickham is my #1 with PdP being its equal. All of the rest are so close in performance that the difference is mostly moot and once I learned how to lather each one properly, I dont notice any difference in performance between them.

I have SV 4.3 on order along with Cella Extra Extra Bio and Vitos Extra Super Coco and expect them to at least match my best in performance if not better them.

Declaration Grooming....Barrister and Mann.....Wholly Kaw.......Grooming Dept....CBL Soaps........and the one I am formulating to make at home!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
A couple of fairly priced options from artisans:

Sudsy Soapery - I love this stuff.

Los Angeles Shaving Soap Company: Bespoke #1 - This soap is based on Martin de Candre with a scent come up with by the owner and a fellow member here who won a raffle some years ago.

For soaps without concern for the price:

Martin de Candre

Saponificio Varesino

Antica Barbieria Colla

All of these should be good for oily skin types in my opinion.

Top Bottom