What's new

Top-notch bevel-setting stone and one almost as good

The King series, 800-1200 will do fine and is cheap.

I like the Shapton Glass stones as do others here, but they are pricey compared to other stones. The reason that I like them is that they’re fast (saves time) and the grit is narrowly distributed. They don’t leave coarse scratches for the next stone to remove.

One thing that I don’t like about the King and similar stones is that they absorb a lot of water. I hone in my kitchen, and if you hone a lot in your kitchen, you have to have counter space for them, they usually won’t dry out enough between honing sessions to put them in a drawer, or you risk mold, mildew, and rust on co-located steel items. Don’t ask me how I know. If you hone in your garage or shop, this is not likely to be a concern.

Just a reminder to the folks that love the Shapton Glass 500, they make a double thick 10mm model that’s only about 50% more money than the 5mm thick one. I wish that they made 10mm thick stones in all the grits.

You choose your grit according to the condition of the edge.

FWIW - I've found this level of King (i.e. the 'Deluxe' 800, 1k, 1.2k) to be improved quite a lot by permasoaking. I know that's not necessarily practicable for some people, but one fairly space efficient way of doing it is to keep stones in a toilet cistern. Don't even need to bother cleaning them as the water is constantly refreshed.

FWIW - I've found this level of King (i.e. the 'Deluxe' 800, 1k, 1.2k) to be improved quite a lot by permasoaking. I know that's not necessarily practicable for some people, but one fairly space efficient way of doing it is to keep stones in a toilet cistern. Don't even need to bother cleaning them as the water is constantly refreshed.
I bet you got stones stashed around you house in all kinds of weird places, the way I stash pistols around ! 🤣

I’m rereading my answers here a couple weeks later and realize I was stupid and cocky. I’m sure I need to set my bevels better than I have been.

Top Bottom