What's new

Top irritation-free soaps

Forgive me if someone already has posted a thread on this (I didn’t see one), but what are the top soaps for those that have some skin irritation/sensitivity issues? I have eczema that I have pinpointed to be exacerbated by Lanolin and not fragrance oils. My top performing soaps which also avoid any flare in my eczema are:

1) Pannacrema Nuavia (all 4 scents);
2) SV (any 4.3);
3) B&M Reserve line;
4) Tallow and Steel (scents can be tricky); and
5) Boellis Panama and ABC

The Spieck Shave Stick & the Palmolive Shave Stick have cured the Irritation on my lower neck area. The other soaps I have are nowhere close at preventing irritation in my lower neck area. It took me a long time to discover this though.

I tried a few labeled for sensitive skin (Proraso White, Proraso Blue, Speick Active, Speick, MWF) to no avail, but discovered Stirling Soap Co. Unscented w/ Beeswax. Great soap, great price, and no irritation.

Klar - Sport, Classic, Lemongrass
DR Harris - Arlington, Lavender
Valobra / Czech & Speake
Saponificio Varesino - 70th, Stella Alpina, Colonia.
Martin de Candre
Le père Lucien - Fougere, Traditional
Truefitt & Hill Luxury
TOBS Jermyn Street
Speick

Through a lot of trial and error this is what works for me. Cedar wood notes are usually the cause of my irritation, and i think lanolin also, but i need to buy an unscented lanolin soap to be sure. For some reason anything from Razorock or TFS irritates my skin.

I tried a few labeled for sensitive skin (Proraso White, Proraso Blue, Speick Active, Speick, MWF) to no avail, but discovered Stirling Soap Co. Unscented w/ Beeswax. Great soap, great price, and no irritation.

I’ve heard good things about the Stirling Beeswax. After you posted, I ordered a puck.

Of many soaps I tried, only a few did NOT cause irritation:

1) Tallow and Steel (Boreal) (Thank you @Mullen88 )
2) Mystic Waters unscented for sensitive skin (Thank you @Mceuph75 )
3) Barrister and Mann Latha unscented (if you dial it right)

Also the verdict will be out on Valobra unscented puck when it arrives in the next few days!

I've got mild Rosacea, so a lot of soaps cause redness and flareups around my temples and nose. My best performers that don't seem to irritate my Rosacea are Harris Almond, Captain's Choice North & Bay Rum and SRD Opus X and Bay Rum. Stirling Orange Chill and MITA haven't caused a problem yet, but I don't want to overdue the menthol, so I've only been using them a couple times a month. As the weather gets hotter, I'll be using them more. That'll be the test.

Some of my worst offenders are sandalwood, lavender, citrus and Tabac. I like Tabac and Harris Lavender and still use them a couple times a year. Harris Arlington, Windsor, Marlborough and SRD Sandalwood and Patchouli leave too much redness, splotchiness or irritation to bother with.

EXCELLENT THREAD! (Bound to help many here).

Fortunately, my skin is fairly tolerant, but I can post another vote for Speick.

Mike's Natural Soaps
Barrister & Mann (Glissant and White Label, Reserve leaves me with horrible Irritation and dry)
Cold River Soap Works Select
The Club (Peter Charkalis) Tallow, Lanolin and Goats Milk Formula

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Let me throw in a plug for Long Rifle. No lanolin and a great selection of EO-based scents makes a winner for sensitive skin. Probably the best post-shave feel of a non-lanolin soap I've tried.

Top Bottom