What's new

Top AS?

Recently delved into this, seeing a lot of old school names crop up. What's your top AS..

1. When money is no object?
2. Which do you find yourself reaching for most often?
3. Guilty pleasure?
4. You want to love/think you should love, but just don't really like??

1. When money is no object? Creed Aventus.
2. Which do you find yourself reaching for most often? Tie between Nivea Sensitive Post Shave and Stirling Executive Man. Avon Leather a close third.
3. Guilty pleasure? I'm too old to feel guilty...
4. You want to love/think you should love, but just don't really like?? Every bay rum I've tried.

1,2,3 combined.
Balm or splash?

balm -Antica Barbieria Colla Apricot Hull Aftershave Balm
splash - chatallion lux and maol grooming

The ABC is very expensive

Last edited:
Great questions!! For me:

1. When money is no object? YSL Rive Gauche
2. Which do you find yourself reaching for most often? Depends on the season
3. Guilty pleasure? None
4. You want to love/think you should love, but just don't really like?? Tabac

Great questions!! For me:

1. When money is no object? YSL Rive Gauche
2. Which do you find yourself reaching for most often? Depends on the season
3. Guilty pleasure? None
4. You want to love/think you should love, but just don't really like?? Tabac
Good answers Big J! I've not smelt Rice Gauche, must do! I'm seeing the old school ones crop up for question 4 - Pinaud Clubman too...
1. When money is no object? Creed Aventus.
2. Which do you find yourself reaching for most often? Tie between Nivea Sensitive Post Shave and Stirling Executive Man. Avon Leather a close third.
3. Guilty pleasure? I'm too old to feel guilty...
4. You want to love/think you should love, but just don't really like?? Every bay rum I've tried.
Think I'm with you on the bay rum! Just not a fan of clove...must check out Creed aventus..

1,2,3 combined.
Balm or splash?

balm -Antica Barbieria Colla Apricot Hull Aftershave Balm
splash - chatallion lux and maol grooming

The ABC is very expensive
I'm circling a triple threat purchase of ABC pre, shave cream and aftershave milk...will just bin the CC bill when it arrives lol...have you tried other ABC aftershave balms? Hear the green tobacco is nice even though the name isn't!! Haven't heard of those splashes **typey type**

I'm circling a triple threat purchase of ABC pre, shave cream and aftershave milk...will just bin the CC bill when it arrives lol...have you tried other ABC aftershave balms? Hear the green tobacco is nice even though the name isn't!! Haven't heard of those splashes **typey type**

I did try green tobacco and prefer apricot hull but don't let that stop you. Green tobacco is thinner and I would think that it is more of a summer AS.

This place had the best pricing last time I shopped:

The grooming department had excellent pre-shave. I haven't tried ABC pre-shave.

3. Guilty pleasure?
1. Prada Luna Rossa
2. B&M Behold the Whatsis!, Chatillon Lux Admiral Toner, SV Tundra Artica.
3. B&M Roam
4. Bay Rums in general

I did try green tobacco and prefer apricot hull but don't let that stop you. Green tobacco is thinner and I would think that it is more of a summer AS.

This place had the best pricing last time I shopped:

The grooming department had excellent pre-shave. I haven't tried ABC pre-shave.
Very good..I'm always a little concerned that pre or shave creams will clash with the different scented AS, but hopefully when they're all the one brand they're complimentary??
ABC's website were the cheapest I found- dollar is very strong against euro at the moment, and pound has come back up, so I'd recommend their site for their own stuff, which is rare, usually the parent website is more expensive!

Very good..I'm always a little concerned that pre or shave creams will clash with the different scented AS, but hopefully when they're all the one brand they're complimentary??
ABC's website were the cheapest I found- dollar is very strong against euro at the moment, and pound has come back up, so I'd recommend their site for their own stuff, which is rare, usually the parent website is more expensive!

Please consider your need for a splash or balm. Splashes and balms are 2 different animals. The splashes I mention, especially Maol Grooming are great face healers after a shave. I personally use a splash followed by a balm. Tallow and Steel also make great splashes. The balms are more moisturizing and protecting.

Please consider your need for a splash or balm. Splashes and balms are 2 different animals. The splashes I mention, especially Maol Grooming are great face healers after a shave. I personally use a splash followed by a balm. Tallow and Steel also make great splashes. The balms are more moisturizing and protecting.
Indeed, I think I would be favouring splash over balm, my neck has a tendency to get very irritated post shave. Doubling up sounds like a good idea too though! Thayer's supposed to be good too?

Indeed, I think I would be favouring splash over balm, my neck has a tendency to get very irritated post shave. Doubling up sounds like a good idea too though! Thayer's supposed to be good too?

I find thayers drying if used daily and don't use it anymore. It also doesn't have the ingredient list behind it like the three companies I mentioned above. I am in my 50s so depending on your age/skin type thayers might be Okay to use.

Last edited:
I find thayers drying if used daily and don't use it anymore. It also doesn't have the ingredient list behind it like the three companies I mentioned above. I am in my 50s so depending on your age/skin type thayers might be Okay to use.
I'm not too far behind you!! And as I said my neck is a bit of a disaster...looked up the two you mentioned but unfoet they don't ship to Ireland! ABC might be the one for me then..

1. When money is no object? I've never tried a super expensive A.S.
2. Which do you find yourself reaching for most often? Nivea Sensitive balm
3. Guilty pleasure? none
4. You want to love/think you should love, but just don't really like?? Clubman

1 - Not concerned with aftershave costs. I have BDC sitting next to AV, I'll grab either/or, depending on mood, not price.
2 - Hard to gauge choice frequency, week to week it's different; see above.
3 - Really only concerned about what I like, not what others think about it.
4 - I've been disappointed in stuff, but not sad about being disappointed. I've never felt that I 'should' like something I don't.

1. When money is no object? Saponificio Varesino Cosmo
2. Which do you find yourself reaching for most often? Saponificio Varesino Cosmo
3. Guilty pleasure? None
4. You want to love/think you should love, but just don't really like?? T&S Himalaya

3. Guilty pleasure?

1. I'm not really interested in expensive fragrances. My two most expensive aftershaves are Pre de Provence balm and Speick splash ($15). Very nice, and I have spares.
2. Proraso White balm. It does a good job and the scent fades quickly. I got two bottles on sale for $5.00 each. I also like LEA Sensitive balm and Nivea.
3. Not really guilty, but Tuscan Oud smells like TF Tuscan Leather. It's sex on wheels, basically a very worldly fragrance; I prefer natural, herbal type things that don't try to make statements.
4. Most Pinaud stuff. Too heavy and hangs around too long for me.

Top Bottom