What's new

Top 6 most Efficient SE + Top 6 smoothest SE razors?

So I’m curious to hear what are members top 6 most Efficient SE’s which can include AC, Gem or Injector razors.

Also curious to hear what are your top 6 smoothest SE razors.

Are some on both your lists?

Here is mine so far:

Efficiency:
1. Asylum RX
2. ATT SE 2 OC
3. Gem MMOC
4. Blackland Sabre L 2
5.GEM 1914
6. Cobra Classic, ATT SE 1 and Schick Adjustable M type on Max setting with Twin blade. tied.

Smoothness:
1. Schick Adjustable type M and ebarbershop clone tied ( Twin blade)
2. Cobra Classic
3. ATT SE 1 and Brass General. Tied
4. Blackland Sabre L 1
5. GEM MMCP, OneBlade Genesis with Gem PTFE blade tied.
6. Gem MMBP, Gem G Bar. Tied

Also adding another list of the top 6 razors that offer the best combo of both smoothness & Efficiency:
1. Cobra Classic
2. ATT SE 1
3. Sabre L 2
4 . Asylum RX
5. Brass General
6. Schick type M Adjustable ( twin Blade)

These lists might change with the new releases coming from Paradigm, Blackland and General.

Curious to see your lists!

Great Shaves all!

Where is the Schick E Type (1935-1945), my friend? This razor is both efficient and smooth. I would put them in the third category.
Thank you for this thread. I look forward to hearing what others think. :a14:

My favorites, all things considered, and in chronological order:

Ever-Ready 1914
Ever-Ready 1924
Gem Micromatic Open Comb
Schick Injector Type I (with a twin blade)
Pal Adjustable
Schick Type L tennis racquet handle (with a twin blade)

Good questions, Frank!

Most efficient:

Ikon Shavecraft Tech
Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb
Muhle R41 2011
PAA DOC Evolution in stainless
Le Coq cage comb
Asylum RX

Smoothest (that are efficient enough to actually use):

Paradigm 17-4
Karve with F plate
Asylum Evolution Model T
ATT H2
Blackbird open comb
Blackland Dart

Best efficiency/smoothness combo:

17-4 (by far)
Then, the rest of my smoothest choices

There are many great razors in my den I haven’t mentioned (e.g., Schick E2, ATT SE2, MMOC, 1912, 1914, 1924, Blackland Sabre Level 2, stainless General, etc.), but I like to follow instructions...

I have a somewhat limited selection of SE's remaining outside of injectors. I had several GEMs but only got along with the GEM Jr. I'll include the MMCP in my list, as I couldn't use it due to the harshness, but some of the GEMs sure were effective lol.

Most effective:
Stainless Steel General with a Proline
GEM MMCP
Personna Floating Head with a Twin blade
Schick Type M with a Twin blade set wide open (6 is highest I've gone)
Schick Type F
RazoRock Hawk V2

Smoothest:
Schick Type I-1/J-1
Schick Type O clone with a Twin/Schick Type M turned down (2-3) with a Twin (tied)
Schick Type F
RazoRock Hawk V2
Personna Floating Head with a Twin blade

Balanced:
Schick Type F
Schick Type M/Type O clone with a Twin
RazoRock Hawk V2 with a Proline
Schick I-2
Personna Floating Head with a Twin

The balanced list is pretty close to my razor preference in order. The Type M and O clone feel very similar, I know I have 7 razors in balanced and 8 in smoothest. The I and J schick types have the same head design, and the shave is very similar between the M turned down and the O clone. My General is by far my most efficient razor. At 24 hours I barely have enough stubble to shave, while my other razors will let me shave at 24 hours fairly consistently. My Type F has become my favorite razor, very smooth while also retaining or exceeding the efficiency of the Type E.

This reminds me to use my RR Hawk V2 soon. I forgot how it stacked up. Really great exercise, thank you sir!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have the Schick Canadian E2 & E5 black handle, just great razors but look cheap to some. They are very smooth and efficient and will always be in my razor rotation. The E5 is the most aggressive of the two.
Now this thread has really surprised me, no one has even mentioned the Supply provision razor V1 or V2. That razor is a new addition to SE family and is reasonable priced and made of Stainless steel, adjustable by 3 levels of aggression & efficiency and is easy to clean and maintain. I was thinking of buying one and now I will wait until some others mention it here because it should be a clear winner IMO.

Last edited:
I have the Schick Canadian E2 & E5 black handle, just great razors but look cheap to some. They are very smooth and efficient and will always be in my razor rotation. The E5 is the most aggressive of the two.
Now this thread has really surprised me, no one has even mentioned the Supply provision razor V1 or V2. That razor is a new addition to SE family and is reasonable priced and made of Stainless steel, adjustable by 3 levels of aggression & efficiency and is easy to clean and maintain. I was thinking of buying one and now I will wait until some others mention it here because it should be a clear winner IMO.
Is that the one that’s just called the Single Edge and comes in matte silver, polished silver, matte black or polished black for $79-$99? I do like the look of that.

I left it off my list, mainly because it is about the same as the Stainless Steel General (or maybe slightly better) for first pass efficiency for me, but then is not nearly as efficient for subsequent passes. I cannot explain why the efficiency seemingly drops off after the first pass, just that it did for me. It also felt much more aggressive to my skin than my other razors. It ended up getting sold. Part of me wants to order another, but I don't think it would add anything to my current lineup.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I left it off my list, mainly because it is about the same as the Stainless Steel General (or maybe slightly better) for first pass efficiency for me, but then is not nearly as efficient for subsequent passes. I cannot explain why the efficiency seemingly drops off after the first pass, just that it did for me. It also felt much more aggressive to my skin than my other razors. It ended up getting sold. Part of me wants to order another, but I don't think it would add anything to my current lineup.
Thanks Johnnynroy(Joel), nice looking razor and was hoping it would be a winner. The engineers of this razor did some serious homework on this injector IMO.

I only have experience with SE in the Artist Club (AC) format. Well, I did try a GEM 1912 Demaskeene a few times. Of the AC types, I would rate as follows:

Most efficient-
1. Cobra Classic. I had this razor for about 3 years and sold it to a fellow forum member. Very efficient at a steep angle. It can be harsh if your technique is off. It was best for 2-3 beard growth. It was a love/hate relationship.

2. Asylum Rx SE - I really tried to love this razor. The build quality is top notch. The shave was very rough for me almost everytime. I tried a very shallow angle shave with usually 2 passes only (WTG/XTG). The shave was usually very close but tons of weepers and irritation.

3. Colonial General SS - the efficiency is nowhere near the Cobra or Asylum. However, I always got a nice 3-pass DFS with the Colonial.

4. Occam / OREN razor- this is the only current SE razor I own at the moment. The Occam was the first version razor. I had it for awhile and sold it due to its shortcomings. The OREN is the latest edition and it pretty similar to o the original. The results are very similar to the Colonial General for me. I have yet to get a BBS with it. Results are a good 3-pass DFS.

5. Razorock Hawk V2 - the results were very poor for me IMO. I had to do 4 passes on the Hawk to just get a decent CCS with stubble remaining. The razor lacked efficiency greatly.

Smoothness:

1. Occam/ OREN razor- very smooth razor. I find it difficult to cut myself. In fact, I generally apply added pressure that I never do on any other razors to get a close shave.

2. Razorock Hawk V2- the razor felt very mild and smooth. It could be a great daily razor for someone with light stubble. My coarse whiskers hinder this razor too much.

3. Colonial General SS - this razor has a good balance of smoothness and efficiency. I really liked it. I just would have preferred a bit more efficiency.

4. Cobra Classic- the shave was usually fine if I had 2-3 day beard growth. The razor can bite too much if used daily. The problem is I like to shave daily.

5. Asylum Rx - I did not find anything smooth about this razor. I shaved exclusively with the Asylum for almost a month to find its potential. It did not love me back regardless of technique or attentiveness. I really wanted to master this razor and have it as my heirloom.

Top Bottom