What's new

Top 5 Se razors.

D

dangerousrazor

There are countless numbers of Top DE razors thread but I've never found any Top SE razors thread. What are your Top 5 Se razors regardless of their blade types?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
This is difficult for me....but here it goes (in no particular order):

1) Gem Lather Catchers (From the Zinn Automatic to the Gem Junior Bar)

2) Early Schicks (Type A, C1)

3) Gem/Ever-Ready/Star 1912 Models (with Gem Open Comb Damaskeene leading the pack and the British Made ER's closely behind)

4) Autostrop (A1, B1, B2, VB1....any model that takes a modified Gem blade)

5) TNNSER3-D

Top tier razors that I couldn't figure out how to shoe-horn into my "cheating" list above:
Gem Feather Weight | Gem Micromatics (in this order MMOC, MMBT and then MMCP) | Eversharps (H1, M3) |Burham OC and SB versions....

Okay, I think I understand why these Top 5 lists are so rare for SE shavers. I'm posting this, but I'll give it so more thought and see if I can't actually get it down to 5 razors, right now it just seems impossible. :wacko:

1) Gem Lather Catchers (From the Zinn Automatic to the Gem Junior Bar)
3) Gem/Ever-Ready/Star 1912 Models (with Gem Open Comb Damaskeene leading the pack and the British Made ER's closely behind)
Is Gem Lather Catchers so much better than 1912 Models or is it random?

Flintstone65

Is Gem Lather Catchers so much better than 1912 Models or is it random?
My list is random. I think the variance between them (for me) is really small; but in addition to quality of the shaves, I also take into account history and design of the razor. The workmanship on the ornateness and simplicity of design of the Lather Catchers really speak to me -- and I get VERY nice shaves from them. But if I had to shave every day and pick a razor that also has some history and panache, then the Schicks (Type A and C1 models) would be #1 -- closely followed by the Gem 1912s. The TNNSER3D would also be an easy daily-driver for me (more so than the Autostrops), so it would be #3.

1. GEM '19 Damaskeene

2. GEM Jr.bar '07 Lather Catcher

3. Star '19 No.4 Lather Catcher

4. GEM 1912 frames

5. GEM G Bar

I like the Micromatics too. this order could change at any time too.

the only thing I know for certain is that the Damaskeene provides one helluva smooth, close, efficient, effortless shave. the ever readys I have are right there up with that too.

I love them all!!!!!

camo

Last edited:
My list is random. I think the variance between them (for me) is really small; but in addition to quality of the shaves, I also take into account history and design of the razor. The workmanship on the ornateness and simplicity of design of the Lather Catchers really speak to me -- and I get VERY nice shaves from them. But if I had to shave every day and pick a razor that also has some history and panache, then the Schicks (Type A and C1 models) would be #1 -- closely followed by the Gem 1912s. The TNNSER3D would also be an easy daily-driver for me (more so than the Autostrops), so it would be #3.
If I may ask, what is it that you don't like about the Autostrops? I enjoy mine greatly!

Flintstone65

If I may ask, what is it that you don't like about the Autostrops? I enjoy mine greatly!
I am with you....I love my Autostrops -- it's why they made my top 5 (out of 50+ SE razors in my den). As to the lower ranking, it's really only for the minor inconvenience of de-spining the GEM blade. My preference is my B1, B2, VB1 or VC1 -- my A1's look cool (one is British and the other American), but the mechanisms that hold the blade (has a push button lever) has some play in it and the blade isn't as tightly held as the later models.

Last edited:
I am with you....I love my Autostrops -- it's why they made my top 5 (out of 50+ SE razors in my den). As to the lower ranking, it's really only for the minor inconvenience of de-spining the GEM blade. My preference is my B1, B2, VB1 or VC1 -- my A1's look cool (one is British and the other American), but the mechanisms that hold the blade (has a push button lever) has some play in it and the blade isn't as tightly held as the later models.
I use Feathers in mine-mostly for clean up After a SR shave. My strop says that it is a "Model C". It has the swinging door and seems to be gold plated (!) brass. I do strop mine but I can't tell if it does any good. I do like the feel of the open comb though. I wonder why so many DE razors went away from that design?

Is that this one?
20200326_131243.jpg

I just got it and I have Feather blades on the way. Do you have to modify the blades?

I'll make a list. Don't pay too much attention to the order because on any given day or week any of them could be in the top spot:

1. Ever Ready 1914 Little Lather Catcher
2. Autostrop VB2 (and pretty much any AS other than the safety bar model)
3. Schick Type I Hydro-Magic
4. Henckels Wotan - the handle is just a tad shorter and more stout than the Rapide model, which is also a top performer
5. Gem Pushbutton

Honorable mentions/tied for 6th would go to MMOC, MMCP, GEM/ER Shovel Head, GEM/ER Featherweight, GEM/ER Heavy Flat Top/Natural Angle (the G and E bars, respectively), C. V. Heljestrand wedge razor (the one marketed by Kindal in France), any of the pre-1912 GEM/ER lather catchers, Schick Types E and G, Schick Adjustable, Louis wedge razor, Durham Dorset*.

*A special dispensation is granted to the Durham Dorset because I only use one edge per shave, alternating the blade edge by turning it around for alternate shaves. If I could manage the Durham Shuffle I would, but I can't, so I don't.

Conspicuously absent from my list are the razors that just don't quite get my trouble spots, even with a fresh blade. When I use one of these, I invariably have to come behind it with another razor for the final clean-up. That's why the various 1912 models, including the GEM Jewel, are not on my list, and neither is the Flying Wing. The Jewel is in the rotation though, it's just too gorgeous not to see some use.

The original Scharff Rapide is the only SE I would ever need if restricted to just one. It's the razor I get out if I absolutely don't want a weeper due to time constraints.

The Weck Prep is also a top tier razor,

The iKon El Jefe v1 is also a favorite of mine. (no photo)

I'm less excited by my other SE razors so can't come up with a list of 5. Reminds me I need to buy some other modern SE razors, there are some gems manufactured today, pun intended.

Flintstone65

Is that this one?
View attachment 1080210
I just got it and I have Feather blades on the way. Do you have to modify the blades?
I should stay out of this since I exclusively use Autostrops (not Valet Autostrops). My VB1 and VC1 have the word Valet, but there is no "proprietary" holes in the door latch that require a special blade.....so I use a modified (i.e., de-spined Gem blade). Your Feather blades, as I understand it, will work fine. The only downside I've heard on those is that they tend to be pricey and last only a couple of shaves. That is all hearsay, as I've never tried the Valet/Feather blades. @Tedolph will be able to weigh in as I think the model he is referring to is a Valet.

Top Bottom