What's new

TOP 5 GEM shavers

I'm trying to quilt together from various threads everyone's favorite gem razors. What are your top 5,6.... gems from a shave quality perspective. If it's been done, please direct me there.

Kind regards,

Well from the models that I have it would be.. Ever-Ready 1912 (ornate handle), Gem MM Clog Pruf, Featherweight (nickel head), and G-Bar. I can get good shaves from each of them. :thumbup:

There are several that I could like if I had never tried a 1912 or a 1900/1901. I kind of like the G-bar among the more recent models, but if you spend enough time with them to learn their idiosyncrasies, even the MM's can give a good shave. Generally speaking though, I could almost give you my preferences by doing a chronology with the 1900/1901 Gem Jr. Bar Razor at the head of the list, then the 1912 and so on down the line.

It seems to me that the early razors were designed to fulfill a basic purpose and they did it well. The further down the progression we go, I suspect that many of the design perameters were dictated by marketing perception as to what they felt would sell because the new model would be "different". This even extended to the TTO concept with Micromatics. Can't you just hear an ASR marketing manager saying "Look at how many of those TTO's Gillette sells! . . . We need to do that!"

Regards,
Tom

There are several that I could like if I had never tried a 1912 or a 1900/1901. I kind of like the G-bar among the more recent models, but if you spend enough time with them to learn their idiosyncrasies, even the MM's can give a good shave. Generally speaking though, I could almost give you my preferences by doing a chronology with the 1900/1901 Gem Jr. Bar Razor at the head of the list, then the 1912 and so on down the line.

It seems to me that the early razors were designed to fulfill a basic purpose and they did it well. The further down the progression we go, I suspect that many of the design perameters were dictated by marketing perception as to what they felt would sell because the new model would be "different". This even extended to the TTO concept with Micromatics. Can't you just hear an ASR marketing manager saying "Look at how many of those TTO's Gillette sells! . . . We need to do that!"

Regards,
Tom

Better check in on a post over yonder.

It's a tie between the 1912 and the G-Bar for quality of the shave. The 1912 has the old look and the G-Bar has the spiffy 50's shiny futuristic chrome look.

I just recently tried a 1912 for the first time....my first time with A SE...I was surprisingly impressed! I have a handful of Gems I've collected over the years and just never used them....I will give the Micromatic a go next...I have what appears to be at least two different iterations of the micromatic. After reading this, and other SE threads, I will have to locate my pushbutton Gem....I know it's here somewhere! I am using the Gem Walgreens blades. The only thing I noticed is I only get 2 really good shaves from a blade....I guess that makes sense as there is just a single edge as opposed to the DE's I have used for so long. I may have to invest in some better quality blades if I'm going to include the SE's in my rotation! I appreciate all the great info in this and the other SE threads! If it wasn't for B&B the Gems would still be hiding away in a box out in the garage! Thanks to all!:thumbup1:

i'm still experimenting and evaluating but right now the micrmatic open comb gives me the best shaves.

I'll give my top three. But I'm not certain of the actual order (all great shavers).

1900/1901 Gem Jr. Bar, Gem 1912, Gem Featherweight. Multiple examples of each used, and I've gotten fantastic shaves with each.

What hasn't worked as well for me (but still good), is the Push button, the G Bar (one example each), and the Micromatics (one solid guard bar bullet, two open combs). Haven't tried my just received Clog Pruf yet.

Better check in on a post over yonder.

Yes, he's undoubtedly correct in his chronology. The MM obviously did pre-date the SS by a couple of years at least. I still feel, however, that the TTO was just a marketing feature more than any attempt to really make a better shaving razor. Consider also that the Gems were already one piece razors. In my opinion, the "progression" to the TTO concept was of less real value to Gem than it was to Gillette.

Regards,
Tom

I will be in the minority as it does not seem to get much love, but with admittedly limited experience with these things I will vote the 1924 Ever Ready flip top as my No. 1. They are not as purty as the 1912's and not as cool as the Micromatics but the forlorn little flip top does a better job on my face than what few other SE's I have tried.

1912 for the quality of the shave.
G-Bar for the looks.

If you added Ever Ready to this list it would be the Streamline.

The SE razors especially the open combs from experience give better shaves than DEs but Injectors have given the best shaves of all. The 1912 and open comb Micromatic from experience give the best shaves of the SEs but I have yet to use earlier models. Dave and Tom Myers are very knowledgeable SE shavers and I value their opinions.

Major post RAD backlog here. I've tried all the DE razors I've bought, but haven't yet gotten through all the injectors or SEs. Of the SEs that I've tried:

1912 has been the best so far, in several different forms.
G-Bar second best and still good.
Featherweight didn't work so well for some reason, but the head looks identical to the G-bar. Has to be me.
OC micromatic was a near disaster, but yes, certainly a matter of me doing it wrong. I'll try it again, but as I said, there's a backlog.

1912 gem damaskeene

I just got one the other day. Was expecting something else but oh well. It's definitely nicer looking, with nicer lines, than some of that vintage; appears to have been a somewhat higher end model (no idea if it actually was though).

Wow, thanks for the input. Past the 1912 and variations on the pre 1912 there is some variety in favorites. That helped out a lot.

Kind regards,

Top Bottom