What's new

Top 5 Essential Blades.

That's a good list. I want to see you shave with one of the first four!

lol, didn't think anyone would catch that one.

proxy.php

here is the Espada XL, good luck

^
7AM Platinum Hi-Stainless Blades
Crystal/Israeli Personna Platinum Chrome
Dorco ST 300 Platinum ST Blades
Feather Hi-Stainless Blades
Merkur Platinum Stainless

:w00t:

Six (or more?) months into DE shaving, I'm still evaluating blades (and razors ... and various shaving products), but for my sensitive skin, so far I'm favoring:

1. Crystal Personna Blue (Israel)
2. Personna Lab Blues (US)
3. Personna Reds (Israel)
Wilkinson Sword (Germany)

I've also tried and was okay with Feathers, Astra Superior Platinum, Gillette Silver Blues, Gillette Blacks (Russia), and
PolSiver Super Iridium. The rest are so far all falling into the middle ground of okay blades. The only blades that I've tried and distinctly disliked are Derbys.

1. Schick Plus Platinum
2. Permasharp Super
3. Gillette 7O'clock Black
4. Spoiler
5. Super Iridium (Wizamet marked)

The Schick is my clear favourite. If only I had a few more!

Spoiler almost doesn't make the list as I find the first two shaves a bit rough but it smooths out wonderfully with excellent longevity.

PSS is my favourite modern blade and I'm quite sorry I never bothered with the black o'clock until recent months due to not liking yellow or green. Super iridium...Is it possible this is permasharp under a different brand? Very similar for me, great blade.

Having just recently (90 days now) returned to DE shaving I am excitedly exploring my options. For me, so far, the best have been:
1] Gillette 7 O'clock (Yellow Pack)
2] Blue Bird
3] Gillette Silver Blue
4] Personna Red Pack
5] Personna Med Preps

I've tried several others but found myself allergic to blood and pain - especially my own.

The top three blades so far;
1.Feather
2. Gillette Black and Persona Med tied
3.Astra Sp.
Next week I will post the complete list with the vote totals.

I'm currently doing a blind test of 22 blades. Before I started, I thought there would be clear winners and losers. In fact, I figured I wouldn't get very far with most of the blades. Now I am only on the 4th blade, but I have to say that I have liked all the contestants so far. I am starting to think that when you take away the graphics and the reputation, that there is a lot to like about all of them. I don't bring any preconceptions, and I find myself liking all of them so for. But for different reasons. One was very sharp. One was very forgiving. Etc.
I'll post the top 5 here when I am done in a few months...

(there is a PIF involved in the blind test, so if you want in just search the forums for "iBOB" without the quotes.)

I'm currently doing a blind test of 22 blades. Before I started, I thought there would be clear winners and losers. In fact, I figured I wouldn't get very far with most of the blades. Now I am only on the 4th blade, but I have to say that I have liked all the contestants so far. I am starting to think that when you take away the graphics and the reputation, that there is a lot to like about all of them. I don't bring any preconceptions, and I find myself liking all of them so for. But for different reasons. One was very sharp. One was

Could the razor have something to do with it? I notice you're using the Flair for the test. I have never used one, so don't know what it is like. I can say my pre-war Fat Handle Tech makes just about any blade seem pretty darn good. Is the Flair that kind of razor, too?

1 - silver blue
2 - feather
3- gillette black
4- personna red
5- personna lab
6- perma sharp super
7- gillette yellow
9875414585955- astra

I have tried a few different blades over time, but really only actively use the following:

Feather
Shark Super Chrome
Personna Red

All I use is Feather.
If I couldn't use them, I'd use Voskhod, Gillette Platinum, Bics, Gillette 7 oclock Yellows or Silver Blues.

I don't know Dean. I'm pretty inexperienced. I chose the Flair because it is available anywhere, to anyone who looks for it, and it is easier for my wife to load a TTO (and I don't want my lab assistant getting cut..)
It may also be that I have had 4 great blades to start. Hopefully this will all become more apparent with time.

Could the razor have something to do with it? I notice you're using the Flair for the test. I have never used one, so don't know what it is like. I can say my pre-war Fat Handle Tech makes just about any blade seem pretty darn good. Is the Flair that kind of razor, too?

My top 5 (after trying over 100);

1- (red) Captains; carbonsteel blade made by Lord
2- Lord Super Stainless Super
3- Lord Super Stainless Extra
4- Gillette 7 O'Clock (Indian blacks)
5- Souplex

Top Bottom