What's new

Top 3 Stanley Kubrick films.....ranked.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
2001 ... I give Kubrick a pass on how faithful the adaptation is. That book has so many abstract concepts and non-visual elements, I don't know how anyone could adapt it. Best of luck to anyone who tries.

Funny how that works. When I like the book first, when I see the movie made from it I am very skeptical of any divergences in the movie from the book.

But when I come first to the movie rather than the book, or when I've read the book but am not a real fan (eg: Great Gatsby), I'm fine with the movie taking inspiration from the book rather than being a line-for-line, page-for-page reproduction.

There is a certain dream like quality, a disjointed dream, one you can’t wake out of that keeps getting you in deeper.
Yeah, when I think about it, fairly classically surrealistic. Intended to present dream-like, irrational material that will evoke the subconscious.

It is certainly presented from the Tom Cruise character's perspective and that character is certainly is in somewhat of a fantasyland caused by desire and does not know/cannot figure out what is really going on. To me, unlike Lynch's stuff, Eyes Wide Shut seems to hint that it is exploring some deep theme and may be intended to reveal something about the human condition, neither of which is apparent to me. Maybe that: "all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves." :) Or not.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There may not be a lot of substance to Eyes Wide Shut but its my #1 pick because of the nuances. How he managed to make some scenes so menacing with the feelings of fear, dread and knowing was fantastic. The music during those scenes is impeccable.

headerewsnarrow.jpg

2: The Shining.
3: Full Metal Jacket.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You just liked the nudity, Mike. :lol:

Well, I cant post those screenshots haha.

Seriously though, Eyes Wide Shut made me feel more than any other Kubrick film. The only other movie that comes close is The Thin Red Line, but thats Malek. Another master.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Funny how that works. When I like the book first, when I see the movie made from it I am very skeptical of any divergences in the movie from the book.

But when I come first to the movie rather than the book, or when I've read the book but am not a real fan (eg: Great Gatsby), I'm fine with the movie taking inspiration from the book rather than being a line-for-line, page-for-page reproduction.

Sci-fi is about the toughest to adapt because the books go into so much that is not seen or spoken but is critical to the universe. Compare 2001 to Dune. 2001 is a great film because it didn't try to be the book. Dune is a pretty lousy film because it did try to be the book--an impossible task.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I am surprised that Spartacus isn't getting more love.

It's a great film, but there's only so much room in a "top 3" list. Plus, even though it is a great piece of directing, it doesn't really bear Kubrick's stamp. He just got hired on to make the script happen with little leeway for any vision he might have with regard to the screenplay.

I love ews. :(
You are allowed! Tastes vary. Kubrick was a wonderful director. I am sure he was saying a lot that I was not getting, and the fault was not his that I was not getting it. I thought the acting was pretty good--Tom Cruise is just not a favorite of mine except in a couple of films--and production values were high.

I love Paths of Glory. As a SK fan in the 70s & 80s, I hated The Shining. To be honest, the book wasn't my favorite SK book either.
Kubrick's film wasn't SK's favorite adaptation either. At an SF convention in Knoxille in 1983, I was there when someone asked him what he thought of Kubrick's Shining. He said:

"I consider I handed Stanley Kubrick a live hand grenade . . . and he heroically threw his body on top of it."

Well, I cant post those screenshots haha.

Seriously though, Eyes Wide Shut made me feel more than any other Kubrick film. The only other movie that comes close is The Thin Red Line, but thats Malek. Another master.
Yeah, when I think about it, fairly classically surrealistic. Intended to present dream-like, irrational material that will evoke the subconscious.

It is certainly presented from the Tom Cruise character's perspective and that character is certainly is in somewhat of a fantasyland caused by desire and does not know/cannot figure out what is really going on. To me, unlike Lynch's stuff, Eyes Wide Shut seems to hint that it is exploring some deep theme and may be intended to reveal something about the human condition, neither of which is apparent to me. Maybe that: "all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves." :) Or not.
+100. I rented the movie because Nicole Kidman was in it, but found she's only in about half of the picture. And I didn't miss her (much) because of the sense of unease and surreal discovery -- the peculiar odyssey that Cruise's character embarks on.

After seeing 2001 and the Shining, I had no desire to see any more Kubrick movies. But then along came EWS, and I got to see The Killing on TCM, and I'd always liked Spartacus. I'd have to say I enjoyed those three.

Sometime I'll get to Full Metal Jacket and Paths of Glory.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
This is a great thread. I find myself liking EWS more. It sure was effective at providing a sense of unease and unexplainable dread.
Like trying to explain a disjointed dream, the pieces don’t quite fit, bad things are around the corner and you just know you want to wake from it.

I’m going to go with:
1. Dr. Strangelove
2. Clockwork Orange
3. Barry Lyndon

IMHO Barry Lyndon was the most beautiful movie ever photographed. It’s hard to know whether it was Stanley or John Alcott A.S.C. who was the most responsible. The plot is a little slow though.

Top Bottom