What's new

Top 3 Most Efficient and Smooth DE Razors ?

1. Henson AL 13
2. RR BBS stainless
3. Fatip Testina Gentile

These three are all great "mild" ( I prefer "comfortable") yet efficient razors. The Henson, I have to say, is in a class by itself in this regard. It's a great design, unlike anything else on the market, IMO.

1. Henson AL 13
2. RR BBS stainless
3. Fatip Testina Gentile

These three are all great "mild" ( I prefer "comfortable") yet efficient razors. The Henson, I have to say, is in a class by itself in this regard. It's a great design, unlike anything else on the market, IMO.

Sir I would be interested in hearing more about the Henson vs. the Fatip Gentile. Why did you rank one above the other? What makes the Henson a better razor?

To me, the Henson is foolproof. In 3 easy and comfortable passes, I get a surprisingly close shave. In titanium, it’s even better.

Check out the clubs forum as any Henson threads keep getting moved there. The design is so innovative, I think that others probably feel threatened.

Sir I would be interested in hearing more about the Henson vs. the Fatip Gentile. Why did you rank one above the other? What makes the Henson a better razor?
The thing that sets the Henson apart for me is the unique geometry. The Henson design concept incorporates a very limited blade exposure coupled with a fairly large gap. I think most importantly, the blade reveal is tiny, meaning that only a very small amount of blade extends beyond cap. This design results in the blade being clamped very near to the edge which yields the most rigidly clamped blade I have seen in a DE razor. The Henson also has a uniquely faceted cap that establishes the correct angle virtually automatically. This combination of design elements provides a feel on the face that is very mild and smooth, but the substantial gap still delivers a very efficient shave. It also doesn't hurt that the machining and tolerances of the Henson are phenomenally good, so blade alignment consistency is perfect.

For razors with a more conventional geometry, I very much like the Testina Gentile. I'm not necessarily saying the Henson is an inherently "better" razor, but is is definitely different, in a good way for me.

For me:
Wolfman WR1 0.86 OC is the perfect balance of smooth and efficient for my coarse hair.
Charcoal Lvl 3 is quite smooth given how much blade-feel and efficiency it has.
Paradigm Ti1 is less efficient than my 0.86 OC but probably has the best efficiency to smoothness ratio.

The thing that sets the Henson apart for me is the unique geometry. The Henson design concept incorporates a very limited blade exposure coupled with a fairly large gap. I think most importantly, the blade reveal is tiny, meaning that only a very small amount of blade extends beyond cap. This design results in the blade being clamped very near to the edge which yields the most rigidly clamped blade I have seen in a DE razor. The Henson also has a uniquely faceted cap that establishes the correct angle virtually automatically. This combination of design elements provides a feel on the face that is very mild and smooth, but the substantial gap still delivers a very efficient shave. It also doesn't hurt that the machining and tolerances of the Henson are phenomenally good, so blade alignment consistency is perfect.

For razors with a more conventional geometry, I very much like the Testina Gentile. I'm not necessarily saying the Henson is an inherently "better" razor, but is is definitely different, in a good way for me.
Your list is very similar to mine.

I have Henson al "mild",
It has a small blade feel, but you can still feel it.
It needs smooth blades, like GSB.
So Henson al is not on my list.

Last edited:
For DE razors:

Muhle Rocca
Edwin Jagger 3ONE6
Fatip Open Comb

But my single edge Artist Club style Classic Shaving Enoch beats all three of them as does my single edge Gem MicroMatic Open Comb (MMOC).
I would also add that the Yaqi double open comb slant is clearly the most efficient double edge razor I have used. It's not on my list above, because it cannot be described as "smooth". I have no problems using it daily, but it has much more blade feel than the razors above, to the point that is just on the acceptable side of comfort/discomfort. I also would not be using it for my morning shave if I hadn't retired recently. It is not the razor for a "quick shave".

I would also add that the Yaqi double open comb slant is clearly the most efficient double edge razor I have used. It's not on my list above, because it cannot be described as "smooth". I have no problems using it daily, but it has much more blade feel than the razors above, to the point that is just on the acceptable side of comfort/discomfort. I also would not be using it for my morning shave if I hadn't retired recently. It is not the razor for a "quick shave".
I've got a Rocca under the tree that will be my Christmas Day shave. Really looking forward to it.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Executive Shaving Outlaw
Mühle Rocca
Razorock Game Changer .84

The upcoming stainless steel Lupo and the Timeless Slim I have my eye on might shake up that list soon. Honorable runner up Rockwell 6C/S.

Combined with easy of use for efficiency and smoothness from nicks or poor technique which razors stand out more than the others to achieve more BBS shaves for you guys over your shaving journey ? Is Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB still the king of this? It seems like Wolfman WR2 and the Rockwell 6s are getting the most love on the topic so far.

Top Bottom