What's new

Top 3 Most Efficient and Smooth DE Razors ?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I shave every day and I do not care for aggressive razors as daily drivers.(once in a while a aggressive razor is nice.)
For nice DE daily drivers I use are:
Razorock Game changer .84 + KAI SS DE Blade- nice combination mid range
Razorock SLOC + Kai SS DE Blade- nice combination milder lower mid range
Gillette British Rocket 1950's + Gillette silver blue DE blade -milder lower mid range

Have some great shaves!

A Merkur open-comb (eg 15C et al) with a nacet is as smooth as butter.

Although it's not at all aggressive, open-combs are very efficient if you have to tackle long hair as well as short stubble. Provided you've fitted a sharp enough blade for your hair type, it will happily slice through anything you put in front of it - even a couple of week's growth.
I'm also a big fan of Merkur 15C, which is in my rotation of 7 razors. I like open combs and the 15C is a great, fairly mild one. Rarely nick myself. Not an expert, but the 15C looks a lot like my 1910 Gillette Old Style.

Best smoothness/efficiency ratio for me:

Wolfman WR2 1.15SB
Timeless Ti .95SB
RR GC84

I was tempted to list the Blackbird, but while it is extremely efficient, the significant blade feel keeps me from ranking it highly for smoothness (it also kept me from keeping it in the den).

Last edited:
You guys who have shaved with the Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB or 1.25 gap and above find them very efficient and smooth combinations ? More or less than others ?

You guys who have shaved with the Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB or 1.25 gap and above find them very efficient and smooth combinations ? More or less than others ?
Yes, very efficient while still smooth. I have the 1.45 gap with a solid handle. It's as easy to use as my charcoal goods copper lvl 2 or my brass Karve f plate. Fantastic razor. Lately I've been using a Ti by Carbon. Very smooth and still quite efficient. Beautiful razor.

At the moment:

FOCS
Mühle Rocca (V4)
Gillette Slim (on setting 5)

Honarable mention:
RR SLOC
GILLETTE NEW LC

Disclaimer: I regularly shave 4-5 times per week and tend to use rather mid-sharp/sharp blades.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Wolfman WR2 1.15 solid bar. Smoothest efficient razor by far. Going to try the 1.25 next.
Charcoal Goods Level 2. More efficient than the 1.15 WR2, but not as smooth.
Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor. Super smooth, but not as efficient as either of the other two. But a sweet ride nonetheless.

Honorable mention is the Game Changer 84 solid bar. Super smooth and decent efficiency. Amazing price point.

Please list your top 3 favorites IN ORDER of most being most EFFICIENT and at the same time most SMOOTH shavers. Please list detail blade gap, type of cap, Safety Bar or Open Comb variant, etc..

I personally am a 2 a day shaver and not a daily shaver at all. I would like to get a comprehensive list of everybody's "GO TO" DE Razors that you have used or personally own. List most likely is subjective based off your skin type and hair growth cycle, but the best of the best razors should stand out for all. Please share your picks and thoughts guys. Thank you
Smooth and Efficient do not necessarily mean excellent Comfort. I’ve used a few of the razors mentioned in your thread with the exception of the high end stainless and Ti offerings. I had settled on a Fatip Gold Grande to achieve my ultimate DE shave. Lo Storto or FOCS as some prefer to call it is a little more efficient than the Grande. Its shave is a tad less comfortable. It is not as quick or maneuverable as the Grande. The trade off being slightly more efficiency with a tad less comfort. I’m a comfort dude so my choice is the Grande. If I needed to have that tight skinned supper shiny BBS Lo Storto. Both excellent razors. Price wise unbeatable.

1560106E-63CD-4AF8-946C-D14DEE50EA92.jpeg

Smooth and Efficient do not necessarily mean excellent Comfort. I’ve used a few of the razors mentioned in your thread with the exception of the high end stainless and Ti offerings. I had settled on a Fatip Gold Grande to achieve my ultimate DE shave. Lo Storto or FOCS as some prefer to call it is a little more efficient than the Grande. Its shave is a tad less comfortable. It is not as quick or maneuverable as the Grande. The trade off being slightly more efficiency with a tad less comfort. I’m a comfort dude so my choice is the Grande. If I needed to have that tight skinned supper shiny BBS Lo Storto. Both excellent razors. Price wise unbeatable.

View attachment 1184797

I beg to differ. For me, the FOCS provides a tad more comfort than the Grande OC. I have to shave way more carefully with the Grande. In terms of efficiency it's a tie in my eyes - they are both top tier razors. And yeah their retail price is increadibly low.

I simply love those golden goodies...
20201120_205203-01.jpeg

Top Bottom