What's new

top 3 DE blades

Without Feather Blades. I already see that LOTS of users rate Feather blades as Best or near Best.

So, other than Feather, What would you name as the very best, Top 3 DE Blades that are current production, making them easily available through online ordering?

Aside from Top 3 Best, if you'd like to name the worst few blades that would be interesting as well.

I have been researching this on the forum and I would guess Iridium
super, Astra Superior Platinum, and 7 o'clock Yellow. I have not tried these blades yet but that my guess. What say you?

My favorites are the Feathers, as well.

Aside from them, I like the Iridiums and 7 O'Clock Yellows. The Red IPs are good, too, but I prefer the others to them.

Astra SP's and Iridiums are neck in neck for me. Can't figure out which I like better.

Is it possible that Iridium, Astra Super Platinum, and 7 o'clock yellow are all the exact same thing only in different packages?

Is it possible that Iridium, Astra Super Platinum, and 7 o'clock yellow are all the exact same thing only in different packages?
No, all three shave differently, though the IS and Gillette Yellow are pretty close.

Which 3 are the best? What are the criteria? I'd guess perhaps for the average user, in terms of sharpness and smoothness, the Iridium, Gillette Yellow, and some other blade. Personally, I get the best shave from the Bic Platinum.

Last edited:
Maybe I'll have to retry the Gillette yellow's again, the first time I tried them they were my most uncomfortable DE shave to date. Maybe a bad blade, maybe a bad day, who knows.

1. Vidyut SuperMax Super Stainless
2. Israeli Personna
3. Derby Extra

They are my top 3. I'd say that based on performance they are all equal. In other factors like price, packaging, manufacture and availability they differ.

Hmmm...if we were to limit my top 3 blades to current production blades, I would say...

- Feathers
- Super Iridiums
- Blue Birds

Other runner ups include 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow), Treet Platinums, and Shark Super Stainless. The NOS stock of Gillette Bleue Extra are excellent and rank in the top 3 but I didn't include them because they are NOS.

Last edited:
Feathers are super-sharp, but they definitely don't make my top three. I haven't really settled on a few go-to blades, but right now my faves are

1. Astra SP
2. Red IP
3. Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow

I've recently been wowed by Super Iridiums thanks to improved technique and use in razors other than my Merkur 38c. I'm also not including NOS blades, but I've got to give a nod to Bleue Extras and Spoilers.

Have only tried less than about 10 different blades. Can't get the most popular ones listed here as not located in the US. But top blades I've obtained in SE Asia are 1. Lord super stainless 2. Gillette Rubie 3. Gillette super thin. Got a pack of Merkur Supers some while back and tore my face up in comparison to these.

What about if you were to also eliminate Gillette made blades. Then, what would the top 3 blades be. No Feather and no Gillette made.

Are there any other blades that are at the same level of quality or are these Gillette made blades (7 o'clock, Iridium, Astra) just far superior to any others?

What about if you were to also eliminate Gillette made blades. Then, what would the top 3 blades be. No Feather and no Gillette made.

Are there any other blades that are at the same level of quality or are these Gillette made blades (7 o'clock, Iridium, Astra) just far superior to any others?

Could be, as I would have said:

Astra
Wilkinson (India, so Gillette)
SuperMax Sunrise

So the only non-Gillette is SuperMax

As a newbie I am still working through my sample pack. I have tried the Merkur and the Derbys. Of the those two, I like the Derbys. I look forward to trying more. I am a little surprised that other than Feathers the top 3 seem to be all over the place. As you guys say YMMV. :laugh:

I'm relatively new to DE but my top 3 so far looks like this:

Astra Super Platinum
Iridium
7 o'clock yellow

Could very well be that I change my mind along the road by experience and trying more blades.

Top Bottom