What's new

Top 3 best shaving adjustable razors you've ever shaved with?

Can you still buy the Gibbs blades, or do you have to notch your blades? - I'd love to own one, but having the notch the blades would get old quick, and I'd probably end up cutting my fingers in the process. (I'm assuming the notch is what aligns the blade, in place of the extra studs or center bar).
No I notch my blades but one of the members turned me onto a cheap handheld $9.00 8th inch hole punch and it's so easy compared to my air compressor hole punch. I keep it in my bathroom and I do 3 or 4 blades in like 2 minutes or less and then I'm good to go as the Gibb's is in my rotation but not used daily so a few blades goes a long way and it's a great smooth and efficient razor. It's a sleeper for sure and has passed up all my other adjustables at this point so don't let the blade thing stop you. It's easier than cutting your fingernails. Also I have seen a lot of Gibbs blades for sale lately and I've got about 15 of them cause they have been included with every Gibbs I've purchased but I haven't tried one yet to compare to a modern blade.

Merkur Progress
Merkur Progress converted to Mergress XL.
New Mergress XL.

Excellent razor, does everything I want it to, close, smooth, comfortable shave.

Just had to give this thread a quick bump. Hadn’t used this lovely beast in quite a while. I’ve had nothing but great shaves and not one single issue with this razor. High maintenance? Yeah, a little but worth every bit of it. Sexy, curvy and a complete Bad *** tto razor....

0AACB798-CAFB-4559-8C2E-146AD54F2BD9.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The two adjustable's I own are the Gillette slim and Ming Shi 2000 and they both are good shavers with positive and negative traits that make them unique. The slim is easy to use and under the nose is were it shines, the Ming shi is a little awkward under the nose for some but shaves very well and both will give you DFS>BBS every time.

Slim only. Only having non adjustable types for eons I discovered the wonders of it and now use it everyday except the weekends. The aforementioned Apollo is some beaut! Typical Deutscheland engineered, built like a tank and made to last. It shows in every pic I see of one. It must shave as nice as they appear.

Just had to give this thread a quick bump. Hadn’t used this lovely beast in quite a while. I’ve had nothing but great shaves and not one single issue with this razor. High maintenance? Yeah, a little but worth every bit of it. Sexy, curvy and a complete Bad *** tto razor....

View attachment 853663
A fantastic razor, and once you've learned how to clean it is no big deal.

Hi, I'm a vintage Gillette fan, however, in this case, I have to admit they were not the best Adjustable. In my honest opinion, the Rex Ambassador is number one for me. Next would be the Schick Adjustable Injector. And lastly, the Gillette short handle Super Adjustable.

Sorry to hijack this thread. Can you please post a picture and the model of your hole punch?

No I notch my blades but one of the members turned me onto a cheap handheld $9.00 8th inch hole punch and it's so easy compared to my air compressor hole punch. I keep it in my bathroom and I do 3 or 4 blades in like 2 minutes or less and then I'm good to go as the Gibb's is in my rotation but not used daily so a few blades goes a long way and it's a great smooth and efficient razor.

View attachment 853663

Beautiful razor! I had a chance to buy one and took a pass. I simply could not justify the cost. ou say it's high maintenance. This is another reason I passed. It was used and I'd prefer NOS to make sure that it works out of the box.

Well, for me, it's a coin toss. I have a Progress, Futur, and Gillette Slim. I love the Futur's shave, the weight, heft, handle length, chrome,etc. It's wonderful!:) But the Progress has that great classic DE look.:) And it also gives a fine shave.:) In the plus column also for the Futur is blade loading Love that you just snap the cap on and off to load a blade!:)

In a recent outing with my Gillette Slim, I pushed it to the limit. I gave myself an overly aggressive shave. Wow! I'm really still trying to find the correct levels on the Slim for my skin type.:)

Parenthetically, I do prefer razor heads that enclose the end tabs of the blade. The Futur does this, the Progress and Slim do not. I prefer the end tabs enclosed which is why I gravitate to razors that have the slightly longer razor head.:)

The one in the middle is my all time favorite for comfort. Noticeably better than its' brothers but not sure why.
3 favs.jpg

Last edited:
410C65A1-DFB4-45B5-99D0-9C5AF6BCCA92.jpeg
E7DC5767-E3D6-4BC5-A58B-420A0FFE4796.jpeg
DBB11358-34F5-4F2A-BD5F-31F11E2A72A7.jpeg
Sorry to hijack this thread. Can you please post a picture and the model of your hole punch?

Sorry it took so long forgot about this post.

This is a cheap EK $7 hole punch that can be found on Amazon and it works perfect to modify a blade to fit in a Gibbs #15 or #17 Adjustables. Still my favorite Shaving Adjustable of any in my den modern or vintage.

@Dragonsbeard,

Thank you. It's hard to believe that this thing can cut holes easily in the steel blade. This hole punch could make me want to buy forgotten vintage razors in the future. Can you post a pic of the blade output please if you don't mind? Too curious. :D

@Dragonsbeard,

Thank you. It's hard to believe that this thing can cut holes easily in the steel blade. This hole punch could make me want to buy forgotten vintage razors in the future. Can you post a pic of the blade output please if you don't mind? Too curious. :D
Believe it! The whole process takes about 20 seconds at best. I'm on the road now but if you look at the shave comparison I did last week with the Gibbs vs the Rex Ambassador ( probably on page 2 or 3 ) there is a photo of a modified blade.
An no problem I'm glad to help. :a17:

Ming Shi is at the top of my list and I bought it on a lark because it received some rave reviews here. Hey, at $10, I couldn't afford not to try it and see what the clamor was all about. I also have a Merkur Progress adjustable but long since relegated it to the "Drawer of seldom use." Even more interesting is that I have found, what for me seems to be the sweet spot with the Ming Shi, and I simply leave it at 3.5. This razor has also narrowed the perceived differences in different brands of razor blades. Most every brand I've tried (which so far includes Feather, Wilkinsons Super Sword, the Ming Shi which came with the razor, and my least favorite Vokshod) seems to work well.

Top Bottom