What's new

Top 10 US-CAN Shave soaps? (scent specific)

Hi Guys,

A friend is coming to Athens from the US and I would like to select the 10 best shave soaps from US-CAN brands.
Please specify the scent as well not only the brand!

Please give me your top 10 US-CAN Shave soaps (scent specific) !

Thank you in advance.
Petros

Step away from the CAN. Run Fast Run Far.
The can stuff not really good here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’tbelieve in scents as a qualifying factor but rather only distant from glide cushion and post shave moisturizing and as a disqualifier if too hideous to bear

Grooming dept mallard unique duck fat gives incred shave qualities

Grooming dept tallow say ambrosia again unique qualities

Grooming dept magnolia vegan base again unique qualities

Whooley kaw donkey milk rose concerto. Nearly as good as grooming dept

Tallow and steel boreal great soaps in general but this scent only one tolerable

Rest of soaps i use are eu boutique but many state b&m and sudsy soapery have good qualites. Soaps i have specified are generally regarded as best in entire mkt for qualities that matter beyond scent

Hi Guys,

A friend is coming to Athens from the US and I would like to select the 10 best shave soaps from US-CAN brands.

Thank you in advance.
Petros
Top US and Canadian

- Wholly Kaw: Fougere Bouquet, Fern Concerto, Chypre Rose Concerto, Jamestown Gentleman, Washington's Blend, Man From Mayfair, I love em all. Donkey milk versions are next level stuff

- Tallow & Steel: Himalaya, West Indies

- Barrister & Mann: Seville, Reserve Cool

- Sudsy Soapery: Sandalwood & Myrrh

- Declaration Grooming formerly L&L Grooming: Trismegistus, After the Rain

- WSP: (I only have Formula T versions, tallow) Mahogany, Black Amber Vanille, Tobacco

- Storybook Soapworks: newcomer but I really like this soap, Visions and Revisions, La Foret de Liguest

- Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations: Black Velvet

- Stirling: Nag Champa, Executive Man

- Long Rifle: Hawkeye

Many will say Grooming Department but I don't know. My 1st go round was supposedly with an 'old soap base' and was not overly impressed. I do have higher hopes for the new ones I ordered whenever they arrive

I own them all, all are excellent, excellent soaps worth owning, granted these are MY scent prefrences.

Last edited:
My friend suggested...

Barrister&Mann Chesire, Seville
Tallow&Steel West Indies, Himalaya
Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Wholly Kaw all except the Fougere Bouquet, Monaco
Shannon's soaps all excellent
L&L Grooming all except the darkfall
Mickey Lee all scent wise

Scent is a personal thing, nothing of Shannon's wows me and the post shave doesn't seperate itself from all the other soaps. Chiseled Face GTB scent is superb but the soap is the same as Shannons. I actually just use the after shave with WK Bare Naked donkey milk soap. I prefer Storybook SW Visions and Revisions over Cheshire, same scent vein. Pick the artisan and shop the scent you think you will like

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Two soaps that no longer ship overseas (I believe) are.....
- Saint Charles Shave (Fairways is always a hit!)
- Mama Bears (Lemon Rose is fantastic)

Top US and Canadian

- Wholly Kaw: Fougere Bouquet, Fern Concerto, Chypre Rose Concerto, Jamestown Gentleman, Washington's Blend, Man From Mayfair, I love em all. Donkey milk versions are next level stuff

- Tallow & Steel: Himalaya, West Indies

- Barrister & Mann: Seville, Reserve Cool

- Sudsy Soapery: Sandalwood & Myrrh

- Declaration Grooming formerly L&L Grooming: Trismegistus, After the Rain

- WSP: (I only have Formula T versions, tallow) Mahogany, Black Amber Vanille, Tobacco

- Storybook Soapworks: newcomer but I really like this soap, Visions and Revisions, La Foret de Liguest

- Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations: Black Velvet

- Stirling: Nag Champa, Executive Man

- Long Rifle: Hawkeye

Many will say Grooming Department but I don't know. My 1st go round was supposedly with an 'old soap base' and was not overly impressed. I do have higher hopes for the new ones I ordered whenever they arrive

I own them all, all are excellent, excellent soaps worth owning, granted these are MY scent prefrences.

Top US and Canadian

Can you compare these donkey milk version with donkey milk versions Le Pere Lucien and/ or du Bon Berger? Thank you.

Petronius

I was unaware LPL had a donkey milk soap. That being said, I don't find LPL all that spectacular honestly. I've used the vegan base and I own the tallow LE and its just meh performance wise. I've never used the other one you mentioned. The only European soaps I will use are PannaCrema, Saponificio Varesino and Musgo hard puck which I get surprisingly good performance from.

But back to the question asked, Wholky Kaw donkey soaps are one of the finest soap bases available today and few would argue. It's very slick and to me, the post shave feel cannot be beat. Few are close, but Wholly Kaw reigns supreme in my den.

I was unaware LPL had a donkey milk soap. That being said, I don't find LPL all that spectacular honestly. I've used the vegan base and I own the tallow LE and its just meh performance wise. I've never used the other one you mentioned. The only European soaps I will use are PannaCrema, Saponificio Varesino and Musgo hard puck which I get surprisingly good performance from.

But back to the question asked, Wholky Kaw donkey soaps are one of the finest soap bases available today and few would argue. It's very slick and to me, the post shave feel cannot be beat. Few are close, but Wholly Kaw reigns supreme in my den.
We can easy replaced LPL by SdM... I just bought Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet and Chypre Rose Concerto with donkey milk. Just wanted to know, if I need/ work better some of mentioned above by me.. :) I know you like Wholly Kaw :)

Petronius

We can easy replaced LPL by SdM... I just bought Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet and Chypre Rose Concerto with donkey milk. Just wanted to know, if I need/ work better some of mentioned above by me.. :) I know you like Wholly Kaw :)

Petronius
Pretty much every soap on my original list I consider better than LPL, ymmv

First Canadian Barbershop Taper Fade
Tallow + Steel Boreal
Midnight & Two The Coast
Henri et Victoria Absinthe
Soapy Bathman Black Magic
Dr. Jon’s Flowers In The Dark
Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Barrister & Mann Reserve Lavender
Grooming Dept After The Fire
L&L Grooming Trismegistus

Cheers.

I'll bet most of the suggestions will be for tallow based soaps which are thicker and more protective, which is fine and perfectly understandable.

Since you appear to be looking to try different things, you might want to try a glycerine soap. They were very popular a while back on this forum, but have fallen a bit out of favor with the newer crowd. I recently, and reluctantly tried an Ogallala Bay Rum soap and ended up really enjoying it. It isn't as protective as a tallow soap but you end up with a cleaner-face-feel. Well worth the try.

Hi Guys,

Thank you in advance.
Petros
What city is your friend coming from? If it's in a city with a good place to shop, he can find all types of soaps.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Stirling
Tallow & Steel
Sudsy Soapery
Midnight & Two
CRSW

Love Stirling, their price is just flat out great but it’s my favorite performing soap as well.

Save some time, effort and money. There are now only two options. Wholly Kaw and Grooming Department. Just choose whatever scents appeals to you with either. You can’t go wrong. Right now any other brand is now minor league until and if they can catch up.

Last edited:
Scent wise, many of the Stirling soaps, the ones I've tried are fantastic......Stirling Spice is a favorite, if he likes the Old Spice type scent. For a lighter scent Tuscany, and I should know what One smells like soon. (I ordered a few pucks over the weekend).

If you can track them down, Bearded Jack's is very underrated, and they all smell fantastic. I'm trying to find them to buy more, but haven't had any luck, and I'm down to my last puck of his soap.

Top Bottom