What's new

Tootsie pop Indian shooting star...The BIG LIE!!!!

Today after 50 years on this earth I just discovered I was lied to.
As most children I grew up loving Tootsie Pops. The hard candy shell hiding the treasure of chewy goodness inside. I even tried several time to find out the all important question of "How many licks goes it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?" I never made it without biting...I guess the world will never know.

But I thing that excited me more than eating a Tootsie Pop was searching for the Indian shooting a star. It had to be complete, it must have the whole Indian and the Star.
proxy.php

As a Child this was the closest thing to Charlie finding the Golden Ticket, except this was real!!!
See I was told that if I sent one into the company and you would be rewarded with a free Tootsie Pop. A free Tootsie Pop...What a prize......what a Major Award!!

proxy.php

But my world came crashing down as I found out today that this is just a myth, not real, fake news and a total lie!!!!
You can read all the sad and tragic truth here if you want to see the sad reality yourself. Just be aware there will be no turning back.
proxy.php

Has anyone else heard about the Indian shooting the star before? Also It got me thinking what other things I believed might not be true. How about you? (this is meant to be light so no political or religious comments please)

Last edited:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
When I was a little kid, it was my belief that if I went into the field near a cow, that cow would chase me.

But now as an adult I have seen that cows are very peaceful, but stay away from the bull.

Salting a bird's tail keeps it from flying. I chased birds all over the yard with a salt shaker, always thought I wasn't putting enough salt on them.

I can't believe I'm the only one who heard about the Tootsie Pop wrapper. As a kid we would try to make out the image in the store when we picked them out. It was huge bragging rights among my siblings and friends. Of course I never sent the wrapper in.

@bberg100 , I never heard of the salt thing but I'm impressed that you got close enough to get salt on a bird.

@Black Adder Visine taken internally is new to me as well but my mom wanted to give us a small spoon of Vicks if we had a cold.

@Billski it wasn't the cows we were afraid of it was what we would step in that kept us away.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Nope. Never heard of that one. Glad the Wise Old Owl straightened it out for me.

Here's the one I NEVER believed, but some people I know still think it's true:

FACT CHECK: Will a Few Drops of Visine Taken Internally Cause Diarrhea?

This site is great for busting all the urban legends you've heard. Amazing what we as a species believe without any factual evidence to back it up.

Don

If Visine's that dangerous, makes you wonder if you should even put it in your eye ...

AA

^^^

Well, it's just a vascular constrictor. No harm in it being applied in the manner intended. I remember once a very popular radio show host in my area TELLING PEOPLE over the air that the Visine thing worked. This prompted me to actually say, directly to the radio, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?"

The only candy promotion I remember chasing after, but I wouldn't call it an obsession, was the point cards in Mallow Cups. Remember those? Most of my other goals were very personal. Like seeing whether I could jam a whole rope of Bubs Daddy bubble gum in my mouth.... I couldo_O.

Don

Probably half of everything I was told as an urchin was a lie. "Stick your head under the desk; that will protect you...." Sure. Absolutely.

"This is going to hurt me more than you." Right. Ouch.

But sometimes two boxtops and a quarter could make magic.

I had heard that same TOOTSIE WRAPPER myth as a youngster and my brother and I eventually asked the grocery store owner about it - I think he felt sorry for us and gave us a free Tootsie Pop! It probably helped that we grew up in a small town.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
proxy.php

I was also disappointed when I bought this kit and couldn't shrink the head of the girl who sat in front of me in fourth smaller than a grapefruit.

To be honest, I never took a detailed look at the wrappers before and never knew there was a Indian shooting a star.
Well, now I know and I'm still pretty darn close to knowing next to nothing considering how much is out there to learn.

Another myth I heard was when I was a teen and started smoking, the hard pack Marlboro's had a numbered tab on tab on the bottom. You collect so many and can turn them in for a free pack/carton, something or other. Everybody talked about it, nobody ever did it, so I'm assuming it's a lie.

I remember hearing this as a kid, and was told you could just bring it to the store. I tried, but the store owner just chuckled and told me I'd been tricked, much like the time I was sent to the mess hall at scout camp to get a smoke bender. But I caught on by the time my shop teacher told me I needed to take my board over to the wood stretcher.

I remember hearing this as a kid, and was told you could just bring it to the store. I tried, but the store owner just chuckled and told me I'd been tricked, much like the time I was sent to the mess hall at scout camp to get a smoke bender. But I caught on by the time my shop teacher told me I needed to take my board over to the wood stretcher.

Used to send young Airmen out for a piece of flightline to tie up a bundle, or to get a bucket of prop wash from engine shop to strip the floors. Once, the engine shop chief told the troop they were out, but he knew the Security Police kennel had some, but he had to ask for it by part number, K9-P.

Used to send young Airmen out for a piece of flightline to tie up a bundle, or to get a bucket of prop wash from engine shop to strip the floors. Once, the engine shop chief told the troop they were out, but he knew the Security Police kennel had some, but he had to ask for it by part number, K9-P.
K9-P! :lol:

I had a buddy who owned a gas station and ever new hire he'd hand a Styrofoam cup and tell them, "it's time to do our gas testing, go get me sample of regular." Most people would try to put gas in the cup.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Probably half of everything I was told as an urchin was a lie. "Stick your head under the desk; that will protect you...." Sure. Absolutely.

"This is going to hurt me more than you." Right. Ouch.

But sometimes two boxtops and a quarter could make magic.
After learning that the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus were fake, I questioned every other tale I had been told as a child. I mean every one.

Top Bottom