What's new

Tootsie pop Indian shooting star...The BIG LIE!!!!

For seven years I took our Boy Scout troop to summer camp and had a tradition of having some fun with the new boys. The layout of our camp was such that the latrine was within eyesight of my tent, thirty feet away. The latrine had plywood sides for privacy but for Scout safety the plywood was raised up off the concrete by two feet. It was short enough you could see the boy's head over the top as well. So the new boy would come strolling out of the latrine never having used one in his life and clearly was a mite uncomfortable being within sight of the campground. I would be sitting in camp doing sign-offs for boys in their Scout books and here comes the new camper back into the campground. Without looking up I would address the new boy by name and tell him, "I didn't hear you flush the latrine. Go back and flush it or it is going to smell up the campsite." He would scurry away embarrassed at his oversight and the minute he turned his back the second year campers would be on the ground silently laughing. You see, it was them last year who the prank was pulled on.

In short order the boy had reentered the latrine and gingerly had approached the throne on which he had been seated. From our vantage point we can see his feet moving forward, backward, shuffling to one side and then another. All the while the boys are rolling on the ground laughing. Usually the boy in the latrine would address me by yelling he just can't find it - where is it? I would respond that it is on the BACK side of the stool. (Boys now are getting louder with their laughter.) "Reach on back there and you will find it. Then once you flush it get back to camp so we can work on your knots." Flustered, the boy would come out of the latrine only to realize what had been going on. Twelve months later each of those boys would be nagging me to be sure to remember to pull that prank on the new boys. Good clean fun. Not sure what this has to do with candy but in a general sense I guess all was not as it first appeared.

After learning that the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus were fake, I questioned every other tale I had been told as a child. I mean every one.

As adults we are lied to as much, or more, probably. Usually someone selling us something, or trying to. And they are good at it, too!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thanks for ruining my childhood, Tabor!!!!!

That's a total bummer. Lol

What am I gonna do with all these wrappers????[emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

After learning that the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus were fake, I questioned every other tale I had been told as a child. I mean every one.

I can't blame my cynicism on that. The only thing we had was Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy (out in the boonies, rabbits was what you had to keep out of the garden and occasionally cooked). Figured out about Santa Claus before I ever lost a tooth, and had to promise to keep it secret. Never believed in Tooth Fairy, but did believe in wrangling a bit of extra change.

It did make me wonder about the purpose of a deliberate lie. Let's just say in increased an already natural cynicism.

This made it problematic with ours. I never pushed it, and they knew that if they asked me point blank I'd tell them. One Christmas, when my wife went to the back of the house, they asked me "Where did this come from, Daddy?"

"Do you really want to know?" I said.

"No," was the answer.

Since there was already snooping for presents going on the previous year, I knew they already knew.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I always noticed the Indian, but I never heard the tale of the free Tootsie Pop! Well, there's one childhood trauma avoided.

However, I cannot tell you how devastated I was when I donned the X-Ray Specs but could not see the bones in my hand. I mean, man, I was crushed.

I've paid that pain forward more than once by personally proliferating the myth of cow tipping.

However, I cannot tell you how devastated I was when I donned the X-Ray Specs but could not see the bones in my hand. I mean, man, I was crushed.

I was so tempted to buy these when I saw the ad in the back of the comics.
proxy.php

I did have a friend who bought Sea Monkeys though.....

proxy.php

I was so tempted to buy these when I saw the ad in the back of the comics.
proxy.php

I did have a friend who bought Sea Monkeys though.....

proxy.php
I do have the X-ray specs and they give the illusion of looking at bones. I had a friend who bought Sea Monkeys and had quite the family going. He continued raising them and feeding them to fish. I do not believe he was ever able to train them. I bought a lot of stuff from the comic books, most of them never lived up to the ad. The life-size frankenstein poster looked nothing like the picture in the comics, the venus fly trap never grew, the ape mask was nothing like the photo, the slot machine bank was only a single roll of images, so there were limited combinations. I could go on and on!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Sea monkeys are just brine shrimp, which are a rather remarkable creature.

The South Park episode about them killed.

Comic ads: Tiny monkeys in a teaccup?

And those ads to learn judo or body builder transformations?! Oh, my! What scrawny 10 year old boy didn't want muscles of iron, or the ability to karate chop bricks in half?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I loved Sea Monkeys. I admit that I was a little disappointed at the very beginning, but that didn't last long.

Did anyone ever have an ant farm that didn't turn out to be a disaster?

The store down the road from where I lived when I was a kid gave us a free Tootsie Pop if we turned in an Indian wrapper.

Top Bottom