What's new

Toothpick’s Never-Ending Blade Reviews

Blade: Lord Super Stainless
Razor: Gillette Red Tip
Soap: Vintage Williams

Not a very sharp blade but it got the job done. May require 3-4 passes for a super smooth shave but that’s more passes than I want to do. I suppose the “not very sharp” aspect of this blade is good because I didn’t have to worry about nicking myself. I actually thought this blade would suck but it is an OK blade.

View attachment 931442

+1! Excellent review!! :a14::a14:

Especially as I agree with your assessment. This is ‘an OK blade’ definitely middle tier for me also!

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue Stainless
Razor: Gillette Wilkinson Sword

Not as sharp as I thought it would be coming from Gillette. But no where near as dull as some blades. I’d say this blade has found the perfect balance between super sharp and super dull. Very little feedback - couldn’t hear it cutting like some blades. Also couldn’t take long strokes without leaving hair still attached. But it worked great with many short strokes. On a 5 day beard. Wow! I just went back and seen the Lord review that was Thursday. Considering it had 5 days of whiskers to chop down I’d say it performed wonderfully.

View attachment 932838
Good review!! The GSB is one of my favorite blades; however, I do agree that it gives up some sharpness, but I find it much smoother than other blades!! For me, it's consistent over several shaves before performance drops off.

Good review!! The GSB is one of my favorite blades; however, I do agree that it gives up some sharpness, but I find it much smoother than other blades!! For me, it's consistent over several shaves before performance drops off.

+1
The consistency & smoothness, after the first couple of shaves, is one reason I like it so much.

Blade: Lord Super Stainless

Not a very sharp blade but it got the job done. May require 3-4 passes for a super smooth shave but that’s more passes than I want to do. I suppose the “not very sharp” aspect of this blade is good because I didn’t have to worry about nicking myself. I actually thought this blade would suck but it is an OK blade.

View attachment 931442

Perfect description. I use the Sharks Super Stainless, but i had read that they are the same, only different wrapper. They are low sharpness level, very difficult to nick yourself, very good for daily shaves where the stubble isn't very high, to avoid tugging, with 3 passes and touchups. With high stubble, it starts to tug, because it lacks the cutting power. Using fast strokes helps this blade to cut more.

Perfect description. I use the Sharks Super Stainless, but i had read that they are the same, only different wrapper. They are low sharpness level, very difficult to nick yourself, very good for daily shaves where the stubble isn't very high, to avoid tugging, with 3 passes and touchups. With high stubble, it starts to tug, because it lacks the cutting power. Using fast strokes helps this blade to cut more.
When I first converted to DE shaving, my supportive wife bought a sampler pack of blades with 3 each of a variety of blades - including Shark Super Stainless. My face liked them very much!

When I first converted to DE shaving, my supportive wife bought a sampler pack of blades with 3 each of a variety of blades - including Shark Super Stainless. My face liked them very much!

When i first used them, i found them, more or less sharp like Derby or Dorco. Low sharpness. And they had some trouble cutting 2 or more days hair. But, once i started shaving daily and adjusting stroke speed to the blade (faster strokes for duller blades), they became one of my favourite. I like their sharper siblings too, the Shark Super Chrome. But while the Super Stainless are duller on one side they have the benefit that they are much safer for quick shaves. The Super Chromes require more respect, sometimes can nick.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Blade: Personna Super

The first blade I picked today was the PAL Hallow Ground. I have used that blade a long time ago and it was the worst 5 seconds of my life. So I threw it out, not even going to waste another 5 seconds on it. So the second blade I picked was the Personna Super.

Hard to beleive it’s been 7 days since my last shave? Is that right? Lots of feedback on this blade but it was a pleasant shave. 1 weeper near my chin. I kinda like hearing the whiskers being taken off. This one preformed much like the GSB, except it was more audible. Short strokes on a 7 day growth worked best and it got me a great shave. Call me crazy but it felt thin. Thinner than the others I have used, almost flimsy. Overall a great blade though.

28CA3695-44CB-4F66-BC39-CE523E69FADC.jpeg

The first blade I picked today was the PAL Hallow Ground. I have used that blade a long time ago and it was the worst 5 seconds of my life. So I threw it out, not even going to waste another 5 seconds on it. So the second blade I picked was the Personna Super.

Hard to beleive it’s been 7 days since my last shave? Is that right? Lots of feedback on this blade but it was a pleasant shave. 1 weeper near my chin. I kinda like hearing the whiskers being taken off. This one preformed much like the GSB, except it was more audible. Short strokes on a 7 day growth worked best and it got me a great shave. Call me crazy but it felt thin. Thinner than the others I have used, almost flimsy. Overall a great blade though.

View attachment 934581
Nice review. This blade is also known as the Personna Lab Blue, right?

View attachment 934581
PAL Hallow Ground...hmmm...sounds like a contender for TBFH Club (Graham Field, Lan Fei, Flying Eagle, etc)!! Too bad these aren't modern blades, would be fun to get a bunch and see who's brave enough to give these a go!!

Good reviews!!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Two razor blades to report today.

This one was from December 27th:

DD6E8576-82ED-4AAF-8CAC-A90481437400.jpeg

It sucked. But, not bad enough to swap it out mid shave. I got through the shave with it but there was a bit of tugging, and irritation involved. Really not much else to say about it. I even trimmed my beard first with the clippers because it had been a while since the last shave. It didn’t help the blade any. Just a bad blade IMO

Blade: Crown

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Now for today’s shave -

First, does anyone know what blade this is?

669C9218-B070-4EAC-AD75-64D19F581624.jpeg

It’s a great one! Almost felt like a Feather. Almost no feedback when cutting and very smooth. No irritation. I’m trying to think of something negative about it but I can’t. I suppose I could say that on longer strokes it left some hair behind. But I did have 7 day beard. On the short strokes it took the hair right down to the skin. Just a great blade IMO.

Blade: Unknown (Russian?)

Post Script: Time to change my soap. I’m going to retire the Vintage Williams in favor of something else vintage. Maybe Gillette, or AOS. I’ll save this little bit though to add to a cup with other soap scraps.

B72C73FA-8314-4223-849B-5F811A9305BA.jpeg

Interesting thread! I am pretty certain that blade is a Rapira super stainless and it is indeed a great blade IME!

Interesting thread! I am pretty certain that blade is a Rapira super stainless and it is indeed a great blade IME!
+2. Rapira SS (older stock). There's a thread from 2011 with a pic that matches the blade. The prevailing comments was that it was a good blade then.

Top Bottom