What's new

Toothpick’s Never-Ending Blade Reviews

So...this is all going into a spreadsheet? Gonna quantify this, maybe 1 to 100? (I'm thinking of Dick Clark's Bandstand: "Oh, I give it an 85; it has a good beat and it is easy to dance to.")

LOL

Good of you to do this, sir!

So...this is all going into a spreadsheet? Gonna quantify this, maybe 1 to 100? (I'm thinking of Dick Clark's Bandstand: "Oh, I give it an 85; it has a good beat and it is easy to dance to.")

LOL

I suspect some of those blades could definitely get you dancing...:scared:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

LOL

No way. I’m not that serious. It’s just shaving.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you don't mind me asking... why did you use the Gillette Guard instead of moving on to the next blade?
That’s a good question and I don’t have an answer. Other than it’s a quick and easy shave with the Guard and I’m lazy and didn’t feel like grabbing another blade and swapping it out. The Guard was there within reach.

No worries.

If I may make a suggestion.. With the Berkley blade giving you such a bad shave but also being vintage and a bit rusty, why not try a modern Treet carbon blade? I think there is one in your picture. If my memory serves correctly, it's the Treet blade with the text in white with the background being red and orange.

Might change your mind on the whole carbon blade issue. The edges can be very smooth and comfortable but age poorly.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
No worries.

If I may make a suggestion.. With the Berkley blade giving you such a bad shave but also being vintage and a bit rusty, why not try a modern Treet carbon blade? I think there is one in your picture. If my memory serves correctly, it's the Treet blade with the text in white with the background being red and orange.

Might change your mind on the whole carbon blade issue. The edges can be very smooth and comfortable but age poorly.
If it’s in the picture I will get to it eventually. I’ve been selecting the blades randomly.

Tonight’s Shave:

Blade: Berkeley
Razor: Gillette Red Tip
Soap: Vintage Williams

View attachment 928684

Ouch! Randomly picked the vintage carbon steel blade tonight. Not good. Could not even get a single stroke. A few very short scrapes that felt like shards of glass scraping my face. I put it down and shaved with the Gillette Guard. I had a feeling this would be the case. I’ve never had much luck with the vintage carbon steel blades. Makes me wonder how folks shaved with these back in the day.....

Took some extra photos of the blade. Thought you all might enjoy the marketing. Snake oil!

View attachment 928685

View attachment 928686

View attachment 928687

View attachment 928688
I’ve got some of that brand too Toothpick, and tried one a few years back. Same results as yours... a horrible feeling quite early in the shave. I tossed it rather quickly!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Blade: Treet Stainless
Soap: Williams Vintage

A very good blade! I was surprised by this one. I don’t beleive I ever used it before so I was really unsure what to expect. It delivered a great 2 pass shave. And it knocked out a 4 day growth too! I think it was 4 days, could have been 5. Definitely not less than 4 though. It did dull rather quickly though. The first few strokes were very smooth, equivalent to a Feather IMO. But after that I noticed it got dull. It was never uncomfortable though. Overall a solid blade.

F59FDC4D-016A-4E41-ABFA-66C4229F9AE9.jpeg

Posting a photo of the blade wrapper is a big help. For example, Treet has a number of different blades and a pic of the wrapper is a big help.

I am currently using
proxy.php
So far I have gotten five superior shaves with it.

Blade: Treet Stainless
Soap: Williams Vintage

A very good blade! I was surprised by this one. I don’t beleive I ever used it before so I was really unsure what to expect. It delivered a great 2 pass shave. And it knocked out a 4 day growth too! I think it was 4 days, could have been 5. Definitely not less than 4 though. It did dull rather quickly though. The first few strokes were very smooth, equivalent to a Feather IMO. But after that I noticed it got dull. It was never uncomfortable though. Overall a solid blade.

View attachment 930414

Congrats!! Lovely hardware!! :a14::a14:

It was time for a new blade today and I was debating which one to use, when I saw that I still have not tried the sample of Treets that I have in my drawer, plus seeing your recent trial, I figured I'd give it a try. (Though in my case it was the platinum super stainless, the one that @ackvil posted.)

I found that it also gave me a perfectly good shave in my rockwell 6c. Felt quite sharp, but maybe not as smooth as some of my favorite blades like the GSB (in my 6c).

When I'm done with this balde, I'll try another fresh one in my 34c to see if that can dethrone my current fav in that razor, which is the 7 o'clock black.

Following this with interest. Thank you Toothpick, with shaving every 4 - 5 days, this may be going on a few years!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Blade: Lord Super Stainless

Not a very sharp blade but it got the job done. May require 3-4 passes for a super smooth shave but that’s more passes than I want to do. I suppose the “not very sharp” aspect of this blade is good because I didn’t have to worry about nicking myself. I actually thought this blade would suck but it is an OK blade.

59B27D68-4E0D-4189-BD83-486A659A506E.jpeg

Not a very sharp blade but it got the job done. May require 3-4 passes for a super smooth shave but that’s more passes than I want to do. I suppose the “not very sharp” aspect of this blade is good because I didn’t have to worry about nicking myself. I actually thought this blade would suck but it is an OK blade.

View attachment 931442
That's my judgment, too. I get two or three shaves with that blade before I have to toss.

View attachment 931442
Hmmm, I've had good experiences with one of the other Super Stainless blades (Shark) from the Lord Factory. Surprising that the Lord brand didn't measure up.

View attachment 931442

+2! I had very similar experience with this Lord option.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue Stainless
Razor: Gillette Wilkinson Sword

Not as sharp as I thought it would be coming from Gillette. But no where near as dull as some blades. I’d say this blade has found the perfect balance between super sharp and super dull. Very little feedback - couldn’t hear it cutting like some blades. Also couldn’t take long strokes without leaving hair still attached. But it worked great with many short strokes. On a 5 day beard. Wow! I just went back and seen the Lord review that was Thursday. Considering it had 5 days of whiskers to chop down I’d say it performed wonderfully.

8F6A8AE2-8DB1-4A1C-86FB-0EAA906A4FB4.jpeg

Top Bottom