What's new

Toothpick's Never-Ending Aftershave Reviews

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Are you sure that you have nothing coming this week Jason? ;)

Funny you say that because I just got a package from Down Under.

Thanks Andrew! Totally unexpected.

I’ve never seen or heard of shave cream in a pump bottle.

83020429-3C0E-4D20-A194-3253AFD4A269.jpeg

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The L'Oréal hydra sensitive Birch sap is good with a nice scent but a little watery, but I have gone off scented balms and now only use one, Nivea and then only on the rare occasions when I get irritation

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Funny you say that because I just got a package from Down Under.

Thanks Andrew! Totally unexpected.

I’ve never seen or heard of shave cream in a pump bottle.

View attachment 1438172
I am glad that it all got there safe and sound. I think the shaving cream in the pump pack is brushless, I have another one here but I haven’t tried it yet. Enjoy them.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
L’Oreal Hydra Sensitive

Tonight’s review brought to you by @ajkel64 . Thanks!!

Kind of feels like a gel, but looks like a lotion. I’m not a fan of the scent. To me it smells chemically. But I am a fan of the feel. Fast drying which is a plus. Leaves my skin feeling very smooth as if I never applied anything. No burn but almost a cooling effect. A slight cooling effect. Overall pretty good stuff!

04FFE549-347C-4EDA-B076-85FADAEA9A49.jpeg062FB9B8-AC43-47D3-8B2C-2096111CE58A.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Another review brought to you by @ajkel64 !

Nivea Men Sensitive Skin & Stubble Balm with Shave cream

The Nivea preforms much like the other I reviewed here. I’m not sure if this is any different or not but it smells the same for sure. Leaves the face feeling soft and dries quickly. About all you can ask for in an aftershave balm. Nothing wrong with it. But if you want something with a better scent there are many other options of course. It definitely works as advertised.

The Shave cream on the other hand. Wow this stuff has a strong smell. Kinda right up there with Arko. Preforms OK. I rubbed it on my face then worked it in real good with a brush and got enough lather for 2 passes. Not exactly a thick cushiony lather but it was decent enough for a good shave. But that scent! Wow, very strong. I haven’t used a cream in a long time but it’s an ok performer.

B2618AA2-6A22-4995-ACDA-5AA399B95E97.jpegBA04819F-DF87-4671-8A45-CB8859B24600.jpeg383FABDF-5599-4864-A2EE-3A2896A48BFC.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I really like the Nivea Men Sensitive Skin and Stubble Balm Jason. The only problem is that my work is now deleting it from the Shaving Section. It is on Clearance for half price. We have 10 left and I am think of buying all 10 of them. I like it as I find that it works well for me as a balm and I can use a nice EDT afterwards and the scents are not fighting one another. The Sanofi Shaving Cream is the old Fauldings Shaving Cream. It is a good seller in my store and we have carried it for many, many years. I had an older Gentleman come through my register earlier this week and he had 3 of them in his grocery order.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m pretty sure it’s the same Nivea we sell over here, just different name. It’s not called Skin & Stubble here. That cream has the scent that an older gentleman would like lol

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Last of the goodies from @ajkel64

L’oreal Hydra Power. Kind of mixed emotions with this stuff. A little goes a long way. A reallll long way. So perhaps I used to much. I’m not a big fan of gels anyway. But it goes on slick and feels pretty decent. It takes about 15 min to fully dry (again, maybe I put on to much). Also leaves a sticky feeling behind. So I’ll have to use this again and use at least half of what I did this time. Face does feel really good though.

Next up is the To Mo, or not to Mo brushless shave cream. Comes out looking like condensed milk, goes on like it too. But after you work it around a little bit it builds up a tiny tiny bit of lather. Which i guess is the point of a brushless cream to begin with. I thought for sure it would suck. But damned if the razor didn’t glide over my face like butter. I was shocked. This stuff is SLICK. Very slick. The shave wasn’t bad at all. In fact…it was darn good. 2 pass was easy and effortless. First brushless cream I’ve used that is GOOD.

1DD48250-9BF6-4B24-BECB-09073B10F6D1.jpeg

Last of the goodies from @ajkel64

L’oreal Hydra Power. Kind of mixed emotions with this stuff. A little goes a long way. A reallll long way. So perhaps I used to much. I’m not a big fan of gels anyway. But it goes on slick and feels pretty decent. It takes about 15 min to fully dry (again, maybe I put on to much). Also leaves a sticky feeling behind. So I’ll have to use this again and use at least half of what I did this time. Face does feel really good though.

Next up is the To Mo, or not to Mo brushless shave cream. Comes out looking like condensed milk, goes on like it too. But after you work it around a little bit it builds up a tiny tiny bit of lather. Which i guess is the point of a brushless cream to begin with. I thought for sure it would suck. But damned if the razor didn’t glide over my face like butter. I was shocked. This stuff is SLICK. Very slick. The shave wasn’t bad at all. In fact…it was darn good. 2 pass was easy and effortless. First brushless cream I’ve used that is GOOD.

View attachment 1452980

‘Slick..real slick..’ Great review!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Duke Cannon After-Shave Balm Ice Cold

Quite impressive! The initial blast of menthol is quite nice. Even after a cold water rinse that I do. And it sticks around for roughly 10-15 minutes. I really like the scent as well. Can definitely smell the menthol but it is not overpowering, like say Vicks Vapor Rub is. The scent also sticks around for roughly the same amount of time as the ”cool” feeling. I probably used a bit more than necessary but that’s just what I do with AS, I don’t skimp. On the hands and while applying to the face there is a bit of a greasy feeling. But guess what - it goes away completely once dry. My face feels smoooooooth and great. No sting or burn (no alcohol). Really impressed with the first application. We’ll see how this performs a 2nd time, and 3rd.

View attachment 1398215View attachment 1398216

Toothpick, my awesome B&B friend, you caught my interest, when I stumbled upon your adventures, in aftershave balms! I discovered your thread in asking people for recommendations on aftershave balms, and then I found your link to this, your review thread. And then I discovered that you indeed got the Duke Cannon aftershave balm, and all I could think of after that was, oh how marvelous, I am so proud, I think I even got a tear in my eye.
proxy.php
proxy.php

That is the review I wrote for Duke Cannon on the forum, and it details my opinions, as well as, my experience with the product. But for a quick summary, I absolutely freaking love this stuff. I don't have as many aftershave as many of you all. But this is how much I do have...
proxy.php

And out of all those aftershaves that you see on the shelf, bother splashes and balms, the one that became my all time #1 favorite aftershave in the world goes to, Duke Cannon Mentholated Aftershave Balm. Why you might ask? Because I feel that its the highest performing aftershave, that I own right now. It literally brought my poor skin from chaos to order, after destroying my face with a razor.

Goes on super smooth, heals skin quickly, moisturizes, the menthol feels soothingly cool, and the scent profile lasts all day for me. As with all things however, YMMV. Love your thread @Toothpick :thumbup:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I didn't care for the Neutrogena Men Triple Protect Lotion. It left an odd, greasy feel to my face.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I didn't care for the Neutrogena Men Triple Protect Lotion. It left an odd, greasy feel to my face.
I can understand that. I think the secret with these heavy balms is to use less. With splashes I load up, like really load up. With the balms though, I tend to use less if it’s’ a thicker balm (more like a lotion).

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Jason, what are thoughts on the Aqua Velva Original Sport? I haven't tried it yet. I think you had this one at some point?

R.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Jason, what are thoughts on the Aqua Velva Original Sport? I haven't tried it yet. I think you had this one at some point?

View attachment 1564607

It’s possible I did. I had a few Aqua Velva. IMO the alcohol based splashes are all the same with one difference - their scent. There are some outliers like DR Harris Sandlewood - Which has added oils. But stuff like Aqua Velva is basically just water, alcohol, scent, and coloring.

Those like DR Harris with the added oils are much better IMO. They provide a bit of moisture and more comfort after they are dry. Whereas the Aqua Velva basically just stings and gives you smell goods and dries out your face in the process. Of course there is a price difference.

For this reason I don’t enjoy the basic aftershaves. It’s gotta be a balm or a high end aftershave like DR Harris.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
These days, almost exclusively, I use Imperial's Bergamot AS. 12 dollars for 9 ounces. I put it in a sprayer and use it each day. It does not leave me greasy which many do.

Ingredients

Water (Aqua), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Flower/Leaf (ORGANIC Chamomile) Extract, PEG-16 Macadamia Glycerides, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Ess Fruit Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Yellow 5 (CI#19140), Citric Acid, Blue 1 (CI#42090)

Imperial also has a nice shave soap in my favorite scent - Un.

Top Bottom