What's new

Toothpick's Never-Ending Aftershave Reviews

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Hawkins & Brimble After Shave Balm

I’m not sure what distinguishes a balm from a lotion but this is more like a lotion IMO. I suppose when I think of balm I think of more on the liquid side, maybe milky almost. This is more of a lotion but I digress.

A little goes a long way! So I‘m sure I used to much as I tend to do. Because of that it took a while to dry. Probably 10+ minutes before my face was fully dry. After I applied it and even now while dry it almost has a powdery feel on the skin. Very soft and smooth. So no leftover residue or greasy slimy feeling. Absolutely no sting at all. I suppose it has a very light pleasant scent. Hard to describe and I suck at that anyway but it‘s pleasant scent. You can probably wear a cologne over it and only smell the cologne.

It reminds me of the Neutrogena Face Lotion I reviewed above. But with a better scent and softer face feel. It’s pretty darn good so I’d recommend it for sure.

View attachment 1405773View attachment 1405774
Just words of gratitude and encouragement. I am following with great anticipation. Balms have a tremendous impact on my post-shave skin, and your reviews are helping me narrow the field. Many thanks!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Just words of gratitude and encouragement. I am following with great anticipation. Balms have a tremendous impact on my post-shave skin, and your reviews are helping me narrow the field. Many thanks!
Doug, I love your refined manners and gentlemanly attitude. Yours is the Gold Standard of how a B&B member should always behave. Thank you dear friend. My hat is off in your honour.

Duke Cannon After-Shave Balm Ice Cold

Quite impressive! The initial blast of menthol is quite nice. Even after a cold water rinse that I do. And it sticks around for roughly 10-15 minutes. I really like the scent as well. Can definitely smell the menthol but it is not overpowering, like say Vicks Vapor Rub is. The scent also sticks around for roughly the same amount of time as the ”cool” feeling. I probably used a bit more than necessary but that’s just what I do with AS, I don’t skimp. On the hands and while applying to the face there is a bit of a greasy feeling. But guess what - it goes away completely once dry. My face feels smoooooooth and great. No sting or burn (no alcohol). Really impressed with the first application. We’ll see how this performs a 2nd time, and 3rd.

View attachment 1398215View attachment 1398216
DA09268F-73CF-4067-9D03-703A130CD7C9.jpeg

Well you convinced me to try the duke cannon. Saw it on the shelf at the supermarket and grabbed it! What an enabler!

DA09268F-73CF-4067-9D03-703A130CD7C9.jpeg

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Truefitt & Hill 1805

I really like this stuff. Let me start by saying I can’t really smell it. I think I’m coming down with something that’s got my nose acting weird. But I can slightly smell it and I do like the scent. It’s got that old timey refined gentleman scent from what I can smell. I thought it would be thick but it’s kind of thin. Not so much to be runny though. Very easy to spread around and rub in. It does leave a slight greasy feeling on the hands when washing it off but that doesn’t carry over to the face. Just about 5 or so minutes to dry and the face feels really smooth. And actually quite cool, as if it has menthol on it but I don’t think it does. A really good aftershave balm by my standards.

15F0D0A9-0E05-4AAE-9BFE-B311ED229462.jpeg 1A9D2A2F-96A6-4F4A-8167-B3AC8AED5785.jpeg

Truefitt & Hill 1805

I really like this stuff. Let me start by saying I can’t really smell it. I think I’m coming down with something that’s got my nose acting weird. But I can slightly smell it and I do like the scent. It’s got that old timey refined gentleman scent from what I can smell. I thought it would be thick but it’s kind of thin. Not so much to be runny though. Very easy to spread around and rub in. It does leave a slight greasy feeling on the hands when washing it off but that doesn’t carry over to the face. Just about 5 or so minutes to dry and the face feels really smooth. And actually quite cool, as if it has menthol on it but I don’t think it does. A really good aftershave balm by my standards.

View attachment 1407854 View attachment 1407855
1805 balm doesn't have much scent, but it is there. 1805 has an aquatic feel to it, citrus, florals, and soft spices and woods, pleasantly aromatic. 1805 has been around for a long time, surely it pre-dates the Nauticas and Aqua di Gios of the world. Truefitt & Hill makes good stuff, their fragrances are in the English elite barbershop tradition centered in old London Town, along with Trumper and Taylor of Bond Street. You actually have a luxury balm on hand, enjoy it.

Excellent thread, thank you! Interesting, I haven’t used anything besides unscented which hazel for 18 years (my wife is mostly scent adverse) and I recently tried the same Nivea balm. It soaks in to my dry skin very quickly although my delicate nose picks up a medium strength scent for several hours after use. I love it and my wife hasn’t said anything so big score for me…..so far.

I tried Nivea in the past and it was too greasy for me and felt like it left a residue on my face. I had bad experiences with balms before so it will be interesting to see the results!
Interesting. To me the Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm leaves no residue. In fact its one of the things I love about it, and its great performance.

I've since moved on to Speick after shave (superb in every way) and homemade witch hazel + essential oil + menthol mix.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
LaToja Aftershave Balm

Excellent! My nose can’t smell still but I do detect a spicy scent. This more along the lines of a balm that I’m used to. Goes on thin. Dries fairly quickly, less than 5 minutes. And leaves the skin feeling silky smooth. Overall just plain ole great. Highly recommend.

94228AC8-05FF-4C83-B2CE-C4732841C6A8.jpeg 53B9398B-C851-44D3-959F-F8D86439CED6.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Speick Aftershave Balm

Not a fan. If it had a better scent I would like it. But the scent is a real turn off for me. Almost smells spoiled. Of course - my smeller hasn’t been the greatest lately. But I can smell this, and I don’t like it. It kinds stings the nose. Other than that it preforms alright. Somewhat on the thin side but that’s alright by me. Does take a few extra minutes to dry compared to other balms. But once dry no issues at all - other than scent. But because I can’t get past that - it’s a no go for me.

522EF6B8-64EC-48D3-9CEE-415666F6CC92.jpeg4C4AE4A9-9D73-4967-9895-E1F421FF5B81.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Myrsol Emulsion Aftershave Balm

I’m not sure how to feel about this one. Overall it reminds me of a 1950’s hospital. Like this is what they issued to hospital patients in the 50’s. The glass jar, the thick creamy balm, the weird name, the scent. Everything about it. BUT, I like how it preforms. Feels really good after it’s dry. Goes on very slick even though it’s rather thick. I’m just gonna have to say I’d recommend this with caution. It‘s not a very good scent and it might be difficult to get out of the jar - just think of those ketchup jars you gotta pound to get anything out of.

D1A86062-2A77-4FA1-9D7B-61F34CD89A95.jpeg 4FA52F8D-7E7C-4961-9DED-13DF686320D7.jpeg

Speick Aftershave Balm

Not a fan. If it had a better scent I would like it. But the scent is a real turn off for me. Almost smells spoiled. Of course - my smeller hasn’t been the greatest lately. But I can smell this, and I don’t like it. It kinds stings the nose. Other than that it preforms alright. Somewhat on the thin side but that’s alright by me. Does take a few extra minutes to dry compared to other balms. But once dry no issues at all - other than scent. But because I can’t get past that - it’s a no go for me.
interesting. I like the scent. Overall, this is one of my favourites. Classic ymmv.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Geo F Trumper Coral Skin Food

Gotta say - I thought this would be A LOT better. I was really surprised at how SLICK it is. When you apply it to your face your hands just glide like they are greased up. The touch of alcohol in it gives you that familiar sting, but it’s not a big sting. Just enough to let you know it’s there. Drys super quick. I’d say the quickest drying aftershave I’ve used. Not crazy about the scent. It’s not bad though. I don’t find it to be WOW though. Or even that great. After it’s dried on the face my face just feels….normal. Like I didn’t shave at all or something. I guess for some that’s a good thing. But the best aftershave I’ve used leave my face feeling buttery soft and smooth. This just leaves my face feeling meh.

It’s not bad, but I expected more.

81894E1A-B14A-45A4-9863-09607B67315F.jpegC0AEC71B-9CAD-4F53-A254-281306AB10C1.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Art of Shaving After Shave Balm

Gotta say I thought this would be better considering the cost. It’s good at best. Not great. I’m not a fan of the scent but they do make a few other scents so I won’t hold that against them. Lavender is what I picked so that’s my fault. The balm is kinda yellowish and about what you’d expect consistency wise. My issue with this is it’s $45 for 3.3oz and it’s not overwhelmingly great. Goes on fine, dries in an acceptable amount of time. But there is no WOW feeling after it’s dry and no WOW feeling after the initial application. It’s just an alright balm with a luxury price tag.

4573D79F-2BFD-4D1B-9422-89364C1280B2.jpeg605049CF-F50A-43FE-A468-3F2255971CDD.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
L’Occitane Cade

This stuff is pretty darn good! More of a lotion than a balm. It’s thick. Which is fine with me. Goes on like a lotion. Soaks up in the skin pretty well and dries completely under 10 minutes. So a little longer dry time. But because it leaves my face feeling great, has a very mild pleasant scent, and causes no sting I’d say this stuff is pretty darn good!

8BE9D58A-A20A-45E2-A492-4FAADCE63416.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Proraso Aftershave Balm

Not much to say about this one either. Starting to see a trend. Maybe I’m getting burnt out on all these aftershaves. It’s good though. And I enjoy the scent. It dries really quick, within minutes. All around a good aftershave. Soaks right in and feels pretty darn good.

E7D058B6-BFC8-43AC-8CBE-0A291AAF56E6.jpeg39FC3845-E62B-4096-979F-E54CD3F3056F.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Pre de Provence No. 63

Smells fantastic! So good I went straight to Amazon and ordered the cologne. Also it’s not bad just in general. Leaves my face feeling soft and dries really quick. More like a lotion than a balm. Kind of a cooling effect too but I don’t know what could be the cause of that. Overall - I like it!

854AE37E-C0C0-4867-9845-8204DDAC897C.jpeg

I really appreciate your reviews. They opened my eyes to a few I hadn't heard of and others I've wanted to try.
I don't use many balms throughout the year, but I always like to have a few at my disposal just in case.
Two, I'll try based on your reviews, Duke Cannon (because I love menthol), and Pre de Provence 63 (the cooling effect & scent profile intrigues me).
Any new reviews in the works?

Top Bottom