What's new

Toothpick’s Cigar Compendium

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Interesting. I think if i was going to recharge I’d just go with the heartfelt beads. To me it seems easier to simply add water. But IDK. I do know that I likely won’t be using the Boveda packs forever because eventually I’m going to get tired of buying more. So likely will try the recharge after all. Or the beads. Or both. See which I prefer.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Interesting. I think if i was going to recharge I’d just go with the heartfelt beads. To me it seems easier to simply add water. But IDK. I do know that I likely won’t be using the Boveda packs forever because eventually I’m going to get tired of buying more. So likely will try the recharge after all. Or the beads. Or both. See which I prefer.

Won’t know what works best for you till you try. These forums are great to draw on all of our experiences, but in the end you gotta try yourself. I started with beads, ended with Boveda’s.*shrug*

I am wondering if you can recharge a boveda by putting it in a Tupperware container with some water? Obviously keeping the pack elevated above the water level. Thoughts?

I wet a paper towel(filtered water) and wrap it in a moist paper towel and put it in a zip lock, let it sit , check it 24 hours, if it needs some more , repeat.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I saw a video where a guy had a Boveda pack in a 4 drawer humidor. In the top was one of the old school plastic with the green foam humidifiers. He said when the bottom drawer Boveda got dry he just rotated it to the top right next to the green foam and it hydrated itself.

I saw a video where a guy had a Boveda pack in a 4 drawer humidor. In the top was one of the old school plastic with the green foam humidifiers. He said when the bottom drawer Boveda got dry he just rotated it to the top right next to the green foam and it hydrated itself.
I yanked the foam out of mine and put in beads, but if you do that be careful as the beads swell up and only need a tsp or so, i shake it and fill it with water and let it sit for a cpl hours, then tilt and drain any excess and then put it back in, maybe once a month. when the humidity starts to drop is when i do it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Drove the hour to the nearest cigar shop. I’d say I made the trip worth the drive. I took some of the suggestions here and in the 3 Favorite Cigars thread.

This was the moment standing in line I thought to myself “I’m in trouble”

CE4E8672-EEBA-41C1-97B6-3AC4CC8308A3.jpeg

Some Kentucky Cheroot, and flavored sticks. I’ve had the Acid, but never the others.

22255091-33DE-46D2-8184-3C286990039A.jpeg

And all of these are new to me. Except the RP 1992, I’m pretty sure I’ve had that one. Should I take the Padron 1964 out of the box? It’s inside a cellophane wrapper in the box. I don’t think it matters right?

305C8DC0-8E4D-4151-9930-F66FF0430B32.jpeg

And while I was in town I stopped at the big liquor store to get some beer I’ve never had.

BE3EBD66-C3F1-42DF-9B7E-3418F59665AE.jpeg

Needless to say It was a good trip!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I had about 4 cigars in my hand and asked the guy if I could set them down while I continue shopping “yeah sure!, or do you want a tray?” A tray??...hell yeah!! Big mistake.

So the 320g Boveda packs come in a cardboard sleeve that says “do not open”. But they won’t fit in the slots made for them inside the humidor unless I open them. I don’t know why I couldn't’ take them out of the cardboard sleeve but can I?

So the 320g Boveda packs come in a cardboard sleeve that says “do not open”. But they won’t fit in the slots made for them inside the humidor unless I open them. I don’t know why I couldn't’ take them out of the cardboard sleeve but can I?

I think the warning on the sleeve is referring to the individual humi packs (don't open them) and not the sleeve.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think the warning on the sleeve is referring to the individual humi packs (don't open them) and not the sleeve.
It says “do not remove from container” and ”do not remove packet from housing”. I’m thinking they don’t want you to remove it from the sleeve. I don’t know why tho. Takes up a lot of room in the humi if I can’t put it in the lid holders

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Doing some research, no one really knows. One guy thinks it will leech out something onto whatever it contacts, but if that was the case the cardboard would get all wasted. Supposedly it is a different packet material vs the smaller packs. Can you tell any difference?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I opened them and they don’t feel any different than the smaller packs. I have a feeling it’s just because they are so large and the cardboard sleeve adds a bit of reinforcement. I’m going to email Boveda

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I opened them and they don’t feel any different than the smaller packs. I have a feeling it’s just because they are so large and the cardboard sleeve adds a bit of reinforcement. I’m going to email Boveda

Please let us know what you find out for posterity’s sake.

It says “do not remove from container” and ”do not remove packet from housing”. I’m thinking they don’t want you to remove it from the sleeve. I don’t know why tho. Takes up a lot of room in the humi if I can’t put it in the lid holders
The only reason I could think of, you can mount the cardboard box to the mounting plate inside a humidor lid.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Reply from Boveda:

“Thank you for reaching out to Boveda. The cardboard packaging around the 320-gram Boveda pack is to give the item structure. The 320-gram pack is heavy and the cardboard is there to provide stability.”

So I’m taking them out and putting them in the lid holder for sure.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Reply from Boveda:

“Thank you for reaching out to Boveda. The cardboard packaging around the 320-gram Boveda pack is to give the item structure. The 320-gram pack is heavy and the cardboard is there to provide stability.”

So I’m taking them out and putting them in the lid holder for sure.

Yep.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thinking I’m going to calibrate one of the Butlers again. One is reading spot on, 72% 66F. The other is reading 76% 66F.. It was at 80% when I removed the seasoning packs yesterday. Maybe just needs some time to regulate with the 72% in there. But i’m going to calibrate it again anyway

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Got a Boveda alert - The Flavored humidor is sitting at 73 degrees. My room temp reads 72.5 degrees. Outside temp is 64 degrees.

Yup, gonna need to get a window AC out here.

Funny though - The Savoy Executive humidor (more expensive one) Is reading freaking perfect. 72% 68 degrees.

Top Bottom