What's new

Toothpick's Beard Oil/Balm Reviews

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
A fellow member sent me a sample of Magic Beard & Hair Elixir http://outlawsoaps.com/products/beard-oil-hair-elixir?variant=6935310849

I've been using it for a couple weeks now. "smokey campfire, woody, earthy". I pick up on those scents more than the cedar. I feel like it helps to keep my beard soft and comb-able throughout the day. But really, I can't tell a difference between the other oils I've been using. Besides the scent. I like it though and will continue to use it until the sample is done.

I CAN tell a difference when I don't use beard oil though. My beard is more surly without any oil or balm added.

Thanks Toothpick for this Thread ! I'm only a stache wearer , now , but it was getting really course , so I tried extra virgin olive oil , then added Ogallala Bay Rum , Limes & Peppercorns ... it worked and smelled nicer . Thought of trying to concoct my own , but opted to order some off Etsy , good stuff , but the scent just wasn't there . But the whiskers still feel softer . I would really like a nice scent to the oil , coconut oil might be an easy option , but I like Cedar , and Limes , ... Ogallala Buy Rum , Sage & Cedar being one . The search continues , but the lady on Etsy said she'd let me customize , if I preferred , so I may just get a thing of EO to add to what I bought , then next time ask her to add whatever , but more EO for a stronger fragrance .
Thanks again
:thumbup1:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

Used Lockhart's Beard Oil today. I'll stick with this for a week or so. I really like they eyedropper. Makes it easy to get the oil out. The other bottles with those.....stoppers that only allow a drop at a time....what ever they are called, I basically have to shake the bottle to get any oil out. Not a big deal but the eyedropper is much better.

The following is taken from West Coast Shaving, where I bought it from:
Beard oil to tame, moisturize, and smooth your beard
Infused with 8 vitamin rich oils and real lanolin
Scented with woodsy bergamot, cedarwood, and lavender essential oils
Ingredients: Almond oil, Jojoba oil, Avocado oil, Coconut oil, Castor oil, Lanolin, Bergamot essential oil, Cedarwood essential oil, Lavender essential oil

I'm noticing most of these beard oils are scented with Cedar, Lavender, and/or Bergamot. They all tout a "manly scent". I'd rather have something that smells good than smells like a "man".

Not that these don't smell ok. But just cause I've got a beard doesn't mean I want to smell like a lumberjack all the time. Personally I like citrus scents - orange, lemon/lime, etc.

I'll report back on how this preforms after a few applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Question , The Beard Oil I bought said Woodsy , has cedar and juniper , almond oil , sandal wood oil , and some other stuff I think , but the scent isn't there . Works as far as making the whiskers soft and conditioned , but to me smells more like dead fish . Does woodsy , cedar wood , sandalwood , and Juniper , sweet almond oil smell woodsy if the % is correct ? I thought of buying some EO and adding , but I know too much can be bad .

I'm not a sandalwood fan , scent is subjective , what's good to me , might not be to you , but just wondering .

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
All I typically pick up is cedar. They all smell somewhat alike to me.

I've got a Question , The Beard Oil I bought said Woodsy , has cedar and juniper , almond oil , sandal wood oil , and some other stuff I think , but the scent isn't there . Works as far as making the whiskers soft and conditioned , but to me smells more like dead fish . Does woodsy , cedar wood , sandalwood , and Juniper , sweet almond oil smell woodsy if the % is correct ? I thought of buying some EO and adding , but I know too much can be bad .

I'm not a sandalwood fan , scent is subjective , what's good to me , might not be to you , but just wondering .
If you're smelling "dead fish", it is possible that one or more of the carrier oils has gone rancid...

If you're smelling "dead fish", it is possible that one or more of the carrier oils has gone rancid...
Thanks BD (Good Dad , I don't think your Bad) ! I thought of that , but hoped it wasn't it ! BUMMER ! Thanks . So normally it does smell Good ? Spicy , Cedar , Piney , Citrus , or whatever ?

Yea, beard oil should definitely smell good. The oils I use literally make me smile as I apply them. They just smell so darn good.

Get a sample pack from The Bearded Bastard or Black Rebel Beard Company. Both are very high quality oil makers. TBB is a bit more costly. BRBC is less expensive, but their carrier blend is much more shelf stable because it doesnt contain any oils that go rancid quickly. Grapeseed oil is a big culprit of this, and is an ingredient in TBB oils, so I tend to not "stock up" as much on them...but the scents are truly heavenly...

Yea, beard oil should definitely smell good. The oils I use literally make me smile as I apply them. They just smell so darn good.

Get a sample pack from The Bearded Bastard or Black Rebel Beard Company. Both are very high quality oil makers. TBB is a bit more costly. BRBC is less expensive, but their carrier blend is much more shelf stable because it doesnt contain any oils that go rancid quickly. Grapeseed oil is a big culprit of this, and is an ingredient in TBB oils, so I tend to not "stock up" as much on them...but the scents are truly heavenly...

Thanks Man ! I sent a message to who I bought this from , asked them to check . I knew they wouldn't want to sell a bad batch , loose customers because I kept my mouth shut . That wouldn't be good . I had thought of The Beard Fellows , or Beardbrand , though I've read you digging TBB brand , and loving it . Thanks , I just have a Stache , but it's H.B.O.M.B. size now , I can't bring myself to trimming it , yet , anyway . I had a beard years ago , had to shave for a job , then cancer and radiation took that off the table , but I can still grow a goatee , and have . I'll check those out ! Thanks again !
:thumbup1:

Last edited:
I know you're right BD , she messaged me back that batch was the last of those carrier oils (grapeseed was in there) , she has all brand new oils now . TBB got Great Reviews !

All this talk of grapeseed going rancid is kind of worrying me. I have a fairly large bottle that I use in my homemade beard oil. It does have a expiration date on it though. Curious if this is accurate because some expirations are give and take. I use more of this in my recipe than any other of the oils I have, mostly because it was cheaper than the other oils I have purchased. Perhaps I should rethink using grapeseed oil all together?

All this talk of grapeseed going rancid is kind of worrying me. I have a fairly large bottle that I use in my homemade beard oil. It does have a expiration date on it though. Curious if this is accurate because some expirations are give and take. I use more of this in my recipe than any other of the oils I have, mostly because it was cheaper than the other oils I have purchased. Perhaps I should rethink using grapeseed oil all together?
The Bearded Bastard successfully uses grapeseed oil in his carrier mix, and I think his oils are simply fantastic. The only stipulations I make is to not have oils hanging around for more than a couple months. 2 months on my shelf is max I will hang on to them, so I only buy 1 or 2 bottles at a time.

If I were still making my own oils, I would substitute grapeseed oil for hemp oil. The primary reason being that hemp oil does not go rancid. It has an indefinite shelf-life, and still has very similar qualities to grapeseed that make it a good carrier oil for hair and skin to begin with.

Hemp oil is a great skin conditioner.

Jason, reading the ingredients for the Proraso Balm, it looks like the only active ingredient is Glycerin. If you liked how it worked, maybe try working a slight mixture of glycerin and water and see if you get the same effect?

As an aside, I've only ever used beard oils. Never found that they did much for me, but I keep my neck clean shaven.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hemp oil is a great skin conditioner.

Jason, reading the ingredients for the Proraso Balm, it looks like the only active ingredient is Glycerin. If you liked how it worked, maybe try working a slight mixture of glycerin and water and see if you get the same effect?

As an aside, I've only ever used beard oils. Never found that they did much for me, but I keep my neck clean shaven.

Thanks for the knowledge. I really haven't bothered to look at the ingredient lists for this stuff.
But now you got me thinking that since I'm sampling all these different oils I could take what I like from each one and make my own exactly how I want it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Today I tried the Mr. Natty. YIKES!

The scent on this is terrible. Not sure if it is spoiled or not but I won't be using it again. I can't even describe it.
It's made with grape seed oil, peach kernel oil, vetiver root oil, black pepper seed oil, and citrus peel oil.

I think it's the pepper that I smell the most. In any case I won't be using it again.

If anyone here would like to give it a try just claim it here and I'll pass it along.

Today I tried the Mr. Natty. YIKES!

The scent on this is terrible. Not sure if it is spoiled or not but I won't be using it again. I can't even describe it.
It's made with grape seed oil, peach kernel oil, vetiver root oil, black pepper seed oil, and citrus peel oil.

I think it's the pepper that I smell the most. In any case I won't be using it again.

If anyone here would like to give it a try just claim it here and I'll pass it along.

Toothpick , I PMed you . It can't be worse than the dead fish , I'll give it a shot , and I'm not far , West of you , close to the Mississippi River 75 miles North of Memphis . Thanks , and thanks for the cool and informative Threads ! What's the difference in a Mod and a Stewart ? Mod is the man ?
Thanks !

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Toothpick , I PMed you . It can't be worse than the dead fish , I'll give it a shot , and I'm not far , West of you , close to the Mississippi River 75 miles North of Memphis . Thanks , and thanks for the cool and informative Threads ! What's the difference in a Mod and a Stewart ? Mod is the man ?
Thanks !

It's all yours.

Stewards are young and jovial that have all the fun around here. Moderators are cross eyed old men that wave canes yelling "get off my lawn!".

Hello Gentlemen and thank you Toothpick for sharing.

I've had beards of various lengths over the years. Managing with daily shampoo/conditioner/brushing/etc always yielded good results (other than the gray-whitening...) I'm nursing a fuller mustache with hopes of handlebars soon and am experiencing more stray/uncontrolled hairs. I am working with some wax (Capt. Fawcetts) but will look into some oil/balms also.

Tom

Top Bottom