What's new

Toothpick trousers, dress shoes without socks

I know I'm old, I see things with a different eye than young guys, but seeing skin tight, wrinkled all to hell skinny suits/pants ,dress shoes with no socks , and guys walking down the street flashing their nude ankles at the public just seems non classy to me...I'll take the men's styles of the 30's - 40's any day....
skinn5.jpg
skinny.jpg
skinny1.jpg
skin7.jpg
skin4.jpg

There is/was a gentleman who work(s)(ed) in the Pentagon, often seen surprisingly close to the SecDef hallway, who rocks the sock-less, skinny pant suit far too often for my taste. His pants are hemmed so short they almost (read: do) look like capris. He stands out a bit in that environment, but then again, so do a lot of other people.

I work in an office and we have a couple of those. I kinda get the no-break look, but hemmed way above your ankle and no socks? That I can't get on board with.

The last time I was in Manhattan I saw some men dressed like that. My wife and I had a good laugh at how they looked.

The slim look is fine if the guy can pull it off, but the calf high hems are just silly. I guess it's just a way of showing off your shoes, but it's over the top. Just comes across as very effeminate. But if that's what you're going for, hey...lol.

The worst is seeing a chubby guy try to do it, yikes!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Above are a few examples of "timeless classic style" whether influenced by the 60's "slim" look or not.

A lot of suits nowadays are cut on the "slim" look, some very aggressively so. Avoid the extremes if you want your suit to still look "fashionable-ish" in a few years, and/or if you want your suit to actually be stylish.

Almost nobody wears the freakish "look at my naked shins" suit ...

proxy.php

... and those who do are almost always in large urban centres in the "avant guarde" areas. There are probably more of those suits worn in Manhattan on a given day than in the rest of New York State combined, for example.

I prefer looser cut clothes for movement. Shrug. That's just style choice.

Sans socks? No. Absolutely no. I've gone without socks on occasion, usually because I didn't have time to put them on before I had to tend to things that wouldn't wait. The result of wearing shoes without socks, if done long enough, is skin irritation and blisters. Plus, for any kind of closed-in shoe, it's not comfortable.

Now, I've also been in situations where I had to wear the same clothes for days without a change, much less a bath, and the end results to my feet were .... I won't go into details. Usually I had to peel off the socks. If I hadn't been wearing any, it's very likely my feet would be adhered to the insoles. So no; absolutely no. If going without socks is the style now, style be hanged.

A lot of suits nowadays are cut on the "slim" look, some very aggressively so.

I think they're modeled more on Pee Wee Herman than any suit from the 60's. When I wear a suit, I want to be able to move while not doing an impression of Bruce Banner becoming the Hulk.

At first I expected to find @Toothpick showing off his new pants and shoes. :lol:

I don't care for the high water pants + no show sock look. I wonder if these guys spray their ankles with deet before venturing outside. Maybe these "redshins" will become a new subculture group/demographic, posting their tan lines on instagram.

For those who don’t know, you can get ‘no show’ socks for styles like this.

I dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
@Doc4 has got it with the jfk look
My suit wardrobe was a victim of the 80s. What ill call big! Shoulder pads big balloon pants pleats cuffs yuck what was i doing?
Over the years ive got new suits and reluctantly got rid of about 8 suits. A local tailor tried to modify 2 suits she was able to cut the pant legs down.
when i started to make this change i would get complemented that i lost weight!
oh sorry i forgot to say i always wear socks unless its my basement shoes. Its uncomfortable and is a bad look. It also ruins shoes. Ive tried the no show socks for gym and golf but just don't like them or the feeling of the low sock feeling like i need to pull up my socks bugs me.

I'm 29 and I didn't know that was a thing! Got to have sock with shoes. I wear low cut socks with athletic shoes, but they are still visible.
I do like the tapered or fitted (NOT tight or skinny fit) pants over the big baggy fit though. I'm a big guy so I don't need anything making me look bigger.

@Rhody
I used to not even consider low cut socks for the same reason. Now they are all I wear with casual clothing. I like the ones that come just high enough to keep the shoes from rubbing blisters on your feet and are still visible.

Top Bottom