What's new

Tools needed for making scales

Hi all,

I am getting into restoring razors. I have questions on what some reasonable tools would be for getting started. I would primarily be only using these for razor work so I don’t want to spend unnecessary funds on tools that will sit idle most of the time.

For cutting scales: I have been wondering if a coping saw is sufficient, or if buying a small band saw is in order. What do you guys use? I have a garage but limited space so it would need to be something small.

For drilling pin holes: I could get a cheap, small table top press for fairly cheap. But I also have a Dremel and wonder if the little press pictured below would be a good buy? Do any of you use it?

proxy.php

Thx for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re looking at just making a few sets of scales, a coping saw would work fine so long as you start with blanks of the right thickness. That Dremel drill press would work also. It wouldn’t be the best, but could be made to work. A lot of people automatically think hand tools = extremely slow. That’s not always the case. The one power tool that you may need that doesn’t have a quick hand tool option is belt/disc/drum sanders. Sure you can use the dremel but the wheels are too small for even shaping. Shaping hardwood by hand sanding is very high on my “not favorite thing to do“ list.

If you’re looking at just making a few sets of scales, a coping saw would work fine so long as you start with blanks of the right thickness. That Dremel drill press would work also. It wouldn’t be the best, but could be made to work. A lot of people automatically think hand tools = extremely slow. That’s not always the case. The one power tool that you may need that doesn’t have a quick hand tool option is belt/disc/drum sanders. Sure you can use the dremel but the wheels are too small for even shaping. Shaping hardwood by hand sanding is very high on my “not favorite thing to do“ list.

Ok thx that’s good to know. Guess I’ll need to invest in a small belt sander at least.

A combo disc/belt sander will make your work So much easier....You can get a cheap one at harbor freight if you are on a budget.

Yeah was just looking at the one below. It’s under $200. Seems to have good reviews. What grits would you suggest I keep on hand?

proxy.php

A combo disc/belt sander will make your work So much easier....You can get a cheap one at harbor freight if you are on a budget.

I didn’t come out and say it but that’s what I was getting at. That would be my first power tool purchase in the OPs case. Everything else can be done quick enough with hand tools

80 is great for shaping. If you’re starting with blanks close in thickness, meaning you don’t have much rough material removal, a finer grit would be slower but more forgiving. Oh and practice a bit on scrap. And wear safety glasses. I’ve been shaping on a B/D sander for years and have drawn blood a few times. Had a piece kick back and split my eyebrow good once. An inch lower and I would probably have a glass eye right now. You don’t have to fear it, but respect it.

80 is great for shaping. If you’re starting with blanks close in thickness, meaning you don’t have much rough material removal, a finer grit would be slower but more forgiving. Oh and practice a bit on scrap. And wear safety glasses. I’ve been shaping on a B/D sander for years and have drawn blood a few times. Had a piece kick back and split my eyebrow good once. An inch lower and I would probably have a glass eye right now. You don’t have to fear it, but respect it.
What he said!....And if you don't know the respiratory issues with certain woods,you will learn them the hard way.

Top Bottom