What's new

Tools for making a strop

I have some leather on the way but no tools as of now. Could someone tell me what tools I'll need for making a simple one piece hanging strop with a d ring on one end and a swivel on the other? And perhaps some pointers/tips or mistakes you made on your first go?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Sharp knife. Straight edge. Set of leather punches and a hammer. At a minimum, that's about it for tools.

I suggest a D ring on each end. That way if you hack up the right hand edge while stropping, you can just swap ends, hang it the other end up. All my strops are like that. No top or bottom end. It goes either way up.

Decent leather is a must have. A good piece of cowhide veg tanned, with no range marks or creases, about 8oz to 10oz leather, will do ya. 3" wide. Long enough for the body of the strop and also about 11" extra to make the bolsters. You will want some neatsfoot oil most likely, and a beer bottle for rubbing down the fresh leather. Some beeswax maybe. Chicago screws the correct length for three thicknesses of leather. Good, big D rings.

Lots of vigorous hand rubbing, lots and lots more, really helps the strop to get slick and supple. Don't over oil.

Have fun. Enjoy your new strop. I suggest you make 3 or 4. They make great gifts and you want a backup. You can always sell extras on fleabay.

Legion

Staff member
If you want to go the next step, I would advise the tool for bevelling the edge of the leather.

My daughter has been making leather goods as a hobby using only hand tools. She uses rivets, but she also does intricate sewing (by hand) for which she uses a tool that looks like a fork for puncturing holes in the leather - I have no idea what the tool is called. It is pretty remarkable how intricate and clean her stitching is. I would definitely look for some good videos on YouTube. And good luck!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Most strops are put together with Chicago screws these days but they can be sewn and in the past they were all sewn. I think that fork for punching holes technically is called a "fork for punching holes". At least that is what I call mine. There is a trick, though. You want to very slightly depress the edges when you sew, to preemptively counteract any tendency to cupping.

The best leather that I've ever found has come from an industrial supplier that makes leather drive belts for vintage equipment. Many old sawmills in the northeast still use them on old equipment, and the leather is absolutley incredible. It's not cheap, and there are skived joints here and there, but it's amazing stuff!

Full grain leather, carpet knife & cutting mat, straight edge, 2 needles & waxed thread, hammer & punch and a bevel tool. I don't use hardware attachments but if you do either punch or drill to make holes for the screws.

635FE2E9-9EE5-4C47-8C18-E11048266A80.jpeg

Last edited:
I have no idea what the tool is called.

Its called a Pricking iron and comes in different spacing for heavy or light stitching.
It actually makes a diamond shaped hole so the stiches get angled very slightly and keeps spacing VERY consistent. Almost does it for you :)
If you are going to stitch much I would recommend them as well as a beveler which comes in different sizes as well.

Top Bottom