What's new

Took the Atra out for a second shave

I went out to a birthday dinner tonight and figured I'd pull out the Atra Plus just to see how it compares to the HD after a year of using the DE razor. I really had very little stubble to begin with, as I get much less of a 5 o'clock shadow with DE shaving than with my Atra Plus shaves. I really had my answer already, but proceded to prep with some hot water splashes. Whipped up some CE Sandalwood lather and snapped a new Atra Plus cartridge on the razor. The razor felt super light, especially the head/cart. It feels as though I use way less pressure with this razor. I could feel a little tugging from the start. As I made a pass, I would feel for stubble left behind. Yeesh! This razor had a headstart, and I thought I might be left with something close to a DFS, but there was a lot of stubble left! This is why I switched! I finished up the second pass and I saw little stubble in the sink.

Glad I'm here!

Welcome back FL, we're the good guys. Its a nice feeling when you realise your newly acquired, hard-won skills provide you with a consistently better shave than the other stuff. Feel good? Now don't do that again :thumbup:

I experiment with cartridges every-so-often when I'm testing new product. Although some give a decent shave, it never compares to the DE shaves in both satisfaction and quality of shave.

After learning this skill again and getting what I've wanted all these years, there's no way I'd ever give up the SE and DE blades. I'd be nuts to!

I'm holding onto the cartridges but I'll only use them for air travel.

Learning this and getting the results is like going back to grilling and BBQ after a gasser... it's what we always wanted all along and the gasser never could deliver the flavor or product. Never go back.

So many years wasted on both, years that can't be retrieved.

I did it again. :blushing: I don't know why. I thought maybe it couldn't have been that bad. After working out tonight, I pulled out the AOS Lemon and the Atra Plus. Went two passes, including ATG in the tough spots. Pretty good shave, but it just can't match 2 passes from the HD and an Astra SP. And I am on my toes as the blade stops here and there. The 2 blade cart just can't get through my stubble. Eh. It is relegated to cleanup duty for the back of my neck.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm at the age where I get a few hairs growing on my ears (OK, more than a few). My Atra is now delegated to trimming those!

I experiment with cartridges every-so-often when I'm testing new product. Although some give a decent shave, it never compares to the DE shaves in both satisfaction and quality of shave.

That's what I used to think too, that is until I recently got ahold of an Atra handle and some carts. Using the pre-shave, and some of the during-shave techniques learned with DE shaving, a very satisfying shave (as good or even better than DEs) can be had. As a matter of fact, I've been so satisfied with my Atra shaves that I haven't used my DEs at all since I picked up my Atra handle and carts about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I'm sure I'll go back the DEs at some point, but to simply state that shaves, or shaving experiences using carts can't compete with those using DEs just isn't true.

Same here, ATRA doesnt give me as good a shave as the Trac2.

I've seen similar statements before and they are puzzling to me. I can't for the life of me figure out why the Atra wouldn't provide at least as good, if not better of a shave than a Trac II. The only difference between the two razors is the Atra allows the cart to swivel, keeping the blade to face angle perfect at all times. The fixed head of the Trac II requires the shaver to determine blade angle, meaning there is opportunity for operator error. Therefore, I don't see how one can achieve a better shave with a Trac II than an Atra.

Last edited:
Top Bottom