What's new

Took blade out of razor, put it back in and it was HORRIBLE

Let me explain. I wen't on 3 day trip and took my razor along, but that razor had Polsilver with 1 shave in. I took the blade out, place it in medicine cabinet and went on my trip, and didn't even shave while beeing there.

After I got home I put that blade back and had a crappy shave. For me shave #2 on Polsilver is the best shave on that blade. But this one was rough, tuggy and all around just bad.

Not really frustrated, I just tossed the blade and life goes on, but curiosity is still there. What happened to make the shave sooo bad. Could it be that blade got flipped upside down and that somehow translated into weird feeling on face? I don't believe it was a dud, since I never encountered one in Polsilvers and shave #1 was exactly the same as others

Many folks who pride themselves in getting dozens of shaves from a single blade take the blades out and flip them. Either the blade did not align properly when you put it back in or something damaged the blade.

Was it completely dry when you put it away before the trip? Maybe it got some microscopic rust spots on the edge while you were away.

Impossible to explain a single event when there are many factors to be considered. Unless the blade was stored in humid conditions it is hard to see how the edges were degraded.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I think you did the right thing. Toss and move on! Better shaves ahead!

Reminds me of a Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey...if you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let em go, because, man, they're gone!

I find that if I leave a blade for more then 2 days it turns to crap but my house is very humid.

Do you have a heavy, coarse beard that is hard to shave? They are very hard on blades. Although razor steel is not the most corrosion-resistant steel, high humidity should not affect it in two days.

Have you checked the pH of your water? If your water is low in pH or slightly salty, it could be corrosive to your plumbing as well as your blades. If your water is alkaline and very hard, you could be getting a buildup of calcium soap on your blade that is dulling the edge.

Do you have a heavy, coarse beard that is hard to shave? They are very hard on blades. Although razor steel is not the most corrosion-resistant steel, high humidity should not affect it in two days.

Have you checked the pH of your water? If your water is low in pH or slightly salty, it could be corrosive to your plumbing as well as your blades. If your water is alkaline and very hard, you could be getting a buildup of calcium soap on your blade that is dulling the edge.
No I have med to light beard we do have a little harder water where I live it has a miniral taste to it a very light salt flavour it could be that but i find with shark blades it happens faster when I use feathers I get 3 good shaves before I get tugging with sharks it’s normaly one shave and then in the used blade jar

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I store blades between shaves in an Anchor Hocking shot glass. Works great, and small dixie cups are good too.

20200203_162849.jpg

Top Bottom