What's new

Took A Little Side Trip in NY

Wow. You must have a lot of restraint to only walk out with that. My wallet can only handle a trip to Pasteur's once a year!

True, but all I had to do was think of the fountain pen purchases I recently made and I came out fairly unscathed. I blame "The Nib" for yet another hobby of extreme pleasure and cost!

Not to hijack, but is there a wiki or something of all these kind of places for NYC? I would walk right by that place and not think a thing of it.
I learned about thee places from right here at the B&B and then looked the places up on my own. For instance you hear from members talking about this pharmacy all of the time. Another gem is in Chicago and it is called Merz Apothecary. There original is up north in the city while the second store is downtown in the loop. I haven't looked brick and mortar stores in the wiki. Maybe we should add that and have members contribute sources.

Where On Lexington? I'll be in NYC for a few days in a week.
Yes, the pic is the one on Lexington.

I believe it's on Lexington between 61st and 62nd. I would highly suggest going to the one on 34th street btw park and madison. Much greater selection of pretty much everything, especially blades, razors, and brushes. However, if you're planning on going on a Sunday, the one on 34th is closed while the one on Lexington is open.

I like to watch Joe from Queens/Long Island on Youtube, briarwood138. I lived in NJ my freshman and soph years of high school, so I get that whole NY thing....anyway, he turned me on to this place, and wanting to go there.
This is privately owned pharmacy that has found it very profitable to cater to this little brotherhood of ours.
There's a term in retail, being a "destination" store...a place that people go out of their way to visit. Pasteur's exemplefies this.
Follow me here, but retailers have trade rags and online sites that advise members of trends and potential profit streams by selling certain products...customers influence this. Ask your hometown Indian grocer or pharmacy to devote a bit of space for shaving related products and who knows what could happen? Online buzz that a certain place caters to shavers could cause more retailers to devote shelf space for us...we could have weirdos like us taking pictures in front of places like this all over the country Thoughts?

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I like to watch Joe from Queens/Long Island on Youtube, briarwood138. I lived in NJ my freshman and soph years of high school, so I get that whole NY thing....anyway, he turned me on to this place, and wanting to go there.
This is privately owned pharmacy that has found it very profitable to cater to this little brotherhood of ours.
There's a term in retail, being a "destination" store...a place that people go out of their way to visit. Pasteur's exemplefies this.
Follow me here, but retailers have trade rags and online sites that advise members of trends and potential profit streams by selling certain products...customers influence this. Ask your hometown Indian grocer or pharmacy to devote a bit of space for shaving related products and who knows what could happen? Online buzz that a certain place caters to shavers could cause more retailers to devote shelf space for us...we could have weirdos like us taking pictures in front of places like this all over the country Thoughts?
Thread revival alert! But I had to point out that this is a great idea.

I've been in New York for the past couple of days with a group of students. We were over on the south side of Central Park and I was able to make a little side trip over to Pasteur Pharmacy. I have seen many references to this place here at the B&B so I though I would check it out.

A friend was also with me and we've been talking about wet shaving for a couple of weeks so he decided to take the plunge. A trip to Pasteur's and a new convert all at the same time!! good day eh?

Here is a pic of me in front of the store.
View attachment 560949
That looks familiar! :)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Whoa thread revival!
I’ll echo what a great place. Almost overwhelming to be there with a shopping basket. 😅
Now they also have a great online shop too. Quick shipping and they tossed in some samples.

Top Bottom