What's new

Too young for a DE ?

My 13 year old thinks it's time to do something about the peach fuzz on his upper lip. I'd welcome any suggestions for an easy, safe way to teach him to shave. I think i'll postone the wet shaving lessons until he really needs them.

If he's interested, give him some pointers. It could save him a lot of trouble. I wish someone had done that for me; instead, I wound up with lousy shaves for thirty years.

really though, theirs kids hunting at 8. wish my pops would've considered teaching me to shave. personally, i say hand him the DE. i took wood shop class at 12 and 13

I think if you start him out now learning to DE shave now the learning curve will be easier to climb. As his facial hair grows more and more course his technique will also improve. More likely he will develop good technique long before his facial hair is course.
At some time I am sure he will try shaving the "normal" way, and hopefully by then he will immediately decide that using a DE with good soap is a much more enjoyable experience and keep with the habit for many years!:001_smile

Do like my grandpa used to do. Let him start out with a bladeless razor and help him with his angle of attack. Once he's swiping off lather in even, clean passes, then load him up with something mild in a Gillette Tech.

really though, theirs kids hunting at 8. wish my pops would've considered teaching me to shave. personally, i say hand him the DE. i took wood shop class at 12 and 13

We really have to remember that the idea of a 12 or 13 year old being considered a child is really a very modern day idea. My Grandmother got married in the 1930's at age 14. It wasn't uncommon back then for people age 13-14 to be getting married, and starting families.

The whole idea that you are not an adult until age 18/21 (and thus expected to be immature, and irresponsible) is 100% totally a creation of our culture within the last 50 or so years.

My father who is 61 this year grew up on a farm. He was driving a tractor at age 6, and had a whole list of daily chores he had to complete on the farm at that age. Farm children were expected to be responsible at a very young age.

at 12-13 i didn't shave but was certainly hairy. he's a teenager, he has more than common-sense, and certainly beyond crying over a little cut :tongue_sm

edit: i'm 20

assuming he's started ti wear deodorant, break him in. buy him a brush and you guys can share creams/soaps

Last edited:
started shaving at 13, learned at hunting camp. used a disposable razor as i recall, with 4-5 of my fathers friends giving pointers on technique and joking about using one of the guys razor sharp knives instead of the disposable (kinda wish they had would have saved me 12 years of poor quality shave blades). father let me use razor less disposables to pretend i was shaving before that point, helped to develop that technique needed.

i think jumping right into DE would be good just don't load a blade for a bit till he gets his technique down (can see a simple slide slide of the blade being a bit bigger of a deal).

Genetics were unkind to me as my beard pretty much goes from my big toe to my scalp. I had to start shaving at the tender age of 11 years old and did so with Dollar Store Gel Goop and disposable twin blade razors. Severe acne and ingrowns ensued. Not until I was 19 years old did I see the light. Save him the trouble and grief and start him with a DE but only when you feel he's ready.

My 13 year and I had our first DE shave together 1 1/2 weeks ago. He reckons the "stubble" needs it again, so Sunday night is shave night.....

Slim Adjustable, set to 1, with a 4 shave old blade. First shave was a 6 pass, first 5 was lather only I think :tongue_sm

Quick wipe with the Nivea Afterbalm. All done !!!!

Just watch out as the 15 year old DEed a couple of times and has gone back to the 'lectric :001_huh:

Might try and get him DEing again on Sunday. Might need a bigger bathroom though :001_smile

( 11 Year old might even get a shave ( no blade ) :tongue_sm )

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I don't think it's too young. Before there were any DE and everyone had to use a straight, all the fathers had to probably start their kids with the only available tool... As Shane mentionned, if you think he's ready, go for it!

I like the idea of a blade with a few shaves on it. No need to scare him off with a brand new feather. I'll pop it into a superspeed, that should be tame enough.

My 13 year and I had our first DE shave together 1 1/2 weeks ago. He reckons the "stubble" needs it again, so Sunday night is shave night.....

Slim Adjustable, set to 1, with a 4 shave old blade. First shave was a 6 pass, first 5 was lather only I think :tongue_sm

Quick wipe with the Nivea Afterbalm. All done !!!!

Just watch out as the 15 year old DEed a couple of times and has gone back to the 'lectric :001_huh:

Might try and get him DEing again on Sunday. Might need a bigger bathroom though :001_smile

( 11 Year old might even get a shave ( no blade ) :tongue_sm )

Oh and enjoy the lather fights !!!!!! :lol:

When my girlfriend comes in when I am shaving(with a straight) I grab my brush and give her a nosefull.

She likes the smell, and the feel of the brush.
Going to have to find something else to scare her away when I have a blade to my throat. Maybe Pinaud Clubman. :lol:

Start with the DE. I started shaving when I was 14 with a disposables and eventually started using the Gillette Fusion. I'm 18 now and wish I would have started with a DE.

DO NOT SHARE BLADES. If you've got to have a "broken-in" blade, cork a new one. At the very least, if you absolutely must let him use a used blade, soak the blade in rubbing alcohol for at leat 10 minutes before letting your son use it (kinda how IV drug users are supposed to treat used needles).

Personal experience here. I had a patient a few years back who shaved her bikini area with her husband's razor. She developed tunneling necrotizing fasciitis in her groin. It was not pleasant packing that wound every day.

DO NOT SHARE BLADES. If you've got to have a "broken-in" blade, cork a new one. At the very least, if you absolutely must let him use a used blade, soak the blade in rubbing alcohol for at leat 10 minutes before letting your son use it (kinda how IV drug users are supposed to treat used needles).

Personal experience here. I had a patient a few years back who shaved her bikini area with her husband's razor. She developed tunneling necrotizing fasciitis in her groin. It was not pleasant packing that wound every day.

+1

I did not read the other posts, but seriously, why share a blade? I wouldn't want my father's blood to mingle with my own.

You’re never too old to start DE shaving. How badly do you think he’s going to hurt himself? And how much is he going to care if he gets a little nick? Most kids get worse on a nearly daily basis.

You can cut yourself with a cartridge razor too.

Do him a favor and teach him now.

I would let him start with a DE right away too. It cannot come much more natural than that; remember that he has to learn his beard and shave with any tool you provide him with.
And besides, I bleeded more with disposables in one week than with the DE in a year ! Maybe you shouldn't start with a slant but a nice mild razor ?

Legion

Staff member
You have to remember, it wasn't that long ago that a boys 1'st shave HAD to be with a DE because there wasn't anything else. (Except a straight, and lets not go down that path just yet.)

My 1,st shave was with a hand-me-down tech, a boar brush and some soap. I didn't have anyone around to show me how but I just worked it out. I probably got a few nicks but, when your 12 or 13 it's not like it's hard to get a BBS shave. He'll live and you'll have started him on the right path.

Once I started earning money I bought a Gillette sensor! Took me years to overcome that setback! :biggrin:

Top Bottom