What's new

too used to wet shaving?

I usually don't post here in General, but I have to relate a funny story from a trip I took a couple months ago.

I had to go to California for business for a couple days, and I didn't check any bags, so my usual shaving kit got to stay home. I brought my old brush (Van Der Hagen boar), a small tube of Bigelow, and a disposable Mach3 type razor. I bought the razors the day before I left for that specific purpose. I'd shaved with the good stuff the evening before I left, so I knew I'd only need a quick touchup on day 2 of the trip. I can go 2 days with barely noticeable stubble. Anyway, on day 2, I took my shower in the morning, then face lathered the Bigelow. 36hrs is about the minimum I want to go between shaves, otherwise I look like I shaved with a steak knife. So I get all ready to go, pop the cover off the razor and start in. A few swipes in, and I was thinking, man, this is gonna be one easy shave, this is going really smoothly. I got my right cheek done, and went to start on the left when I realized that it didn't seem like I was getting anywhere. Still had stubble on the right cheek.

I thought to myself, "hmm, I know that last shave was really close, but I can't believe it's close enough that this razor isn't picking up anything." So, I flipped it over and made one stroke against the grain on my neck, usually a sure fire way to tell how well the shave is going. Nothing. Now I'm confused, so I start putzing around with the razor. Turns out, the head had been installed upside down when the razor was made. The blades hadn't even been touching my face. Needless to say, I felt like an idiot for a second. Then, I remembered that I've probably only shaved with a cart razor 3-4 times in the last 2 years and change since I picked up my first DE.

Remember folks, using a razor with the blade backwards or upside down only works with DE blades.

Good tip and funny story. I tell my Boy Scouts - "Be sure to keep your brain engaged at all times!" That can be a real challenge for boys age 11-18, believe me.

I installed a razor backwards on the headblade. I was so shocked that the shave was so smooth. I went the whole first pass and then I felt my head it was like before I started. After a brief investigation , I discovered I was dumb, flipped the blades around then went on with my shave. I'm glad I switched to DEs for all my shaving needs. You know if in there right away.

Top Bottom