What's new

Too Soft for TSA

Just a friendly warning from Gate C24: I went through security this morning but was stopped as my carry-on was pulled for further inspection. The agent opened my bag and pulled out my tub of soap. She took a look at it and said that I couldn't take it through because it was more than 3.4 oz. I asked about why it mattered since it was solid. She asked if she could touch it (while gloved) and I said that she could. She poked her finger into it and said that it had to be rock solid in order to be considered to be solid.

Now I'm bummed because I had to abandon my tub of B&M Softheart Figarose.... (There was no way I was going to try to deal with mailing it or finding some other solution on one of the busiest travel days of the year.) I'll have to see if I can find another tub since I really loved that soap.

So I wanted to let folks know that TSA may check your soap! Make sure you grab a hard puck or at least choose something you don't mind losing. :closedeye

The opposite of this would be the time I flew from Calgary to Las Vegas and back with a forgotten safety razor (blade in) tucked into a side pocket of my carry on.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The TSA is woefully inadequate at performing to any given published standard.
It's hard to know what some schmo at one airport will do differently than another schmo at another airport, or even two of them at the same airport in different lines.
The advice is good - don't take ANYTHING you are not willing to leave behind.
You never know if Bob got chewed out by his wife at breakfast before coming to work.

I switched from cream tubes to the little Proraso travel tub (75ml/2.5oz).
Big enough to load your brush and small enough for the liquids bag.

BTW I would define a liquid as something that you can pour out of a container...

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The TSA is a prime example of egos and power trips interpreting and enforcing the rules as they feel like it. With impunity. Someone having a good day…probably would let it slide. Someone having a bad day….you might as well not even fly.

There is no consistency with TSA personnel. I have had the same nail clipper in my shave kit for years and until one trip had no problems with it. On one trip, however, the TSA personnel at the Atlanta Airport found a problem with the file that was part of the clipper. It was not sharp and was quite small. I told the individual that I had flown to Atlanta two days ago without a problem and that the same clipper has been in my bag for hundreds of trips. That didn't make a difference. He said to break off the nail file or discard the clipper. I sent an email to TSA headquarters that was never answered.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just a friendly warning from Gate C24: I went through security this morning but was stopped as my carry-on was pulled for further inspection. The agent opened my bag and pulled out my tub of soap. She took a look at it and said that I couldn't take it through because it was more than 3.4 oz. I asked about why it mattered since it was solid. She asked if she could touch it (while gloved) and I said that she could. She poked her finger into it and said that it had to be rock solid in order to be considered to be solid.

Now I'm bummed because I had to abandon my tub of B&M Softheart Figarose.... (There was no way I was going to try to deal with mailing it or finding some other solution on one of the busiest travel days of the year.) I'll have to see if I can find another tub since I really loved that soap.

So I wanted to let folks know that TSA may check your soap! Make sure you grab a hard puck or at least choose something you don't mind losing. :closedeye
Insane. No further comment!

One day the TSA agent took me ONE single blade. Just one single blade.

I was flattered because he thought that I could take over the plane with a single DE blade. Since that day I fell like I’m some kind of Tom Cruise ;)

Sorry for your loss. These things coincidentally happen in holidays :/

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Every time I fly I check all bags. I don’t bother with a carry on just cause I don’t want to deal with the hassle. I don’t wear a belt either, or a watch. All I have is my wallet and phone. I make it as easy as I can on myself. Of course…that might make me look even more suspicious but so far it’s worked out fine. Security has been a breeze.

Should note - last time I boarded a plane was 2009. So yeah….ideal for me, but not for others.

This is probably a good case for getting a travel tube and loading some soap into it. I haven't looked how much they hold, but it can't be very much.

To be fair, croaps really are quite soft. They don't allow make-up products, thick creams or even vaseline that are similar in consistency. Its not completely unreasonable imo, especially when its over the carry on limit anyway. They don't even let you take on bottles which are over the limit that are half empty.

Thanks for letting those that are unaware know this.

From reading posts on this forum about travel and wet shaving.

I always take a shave stick with me for shave soap. Have never had any issues with TSA either.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
To be fair, croaps really are quite soft. They don't allow make-up products, thick creams or even vaseline that are similar in consistency. Its not completely unreasonable imo, especially when its over the carry on limit anyway. They don't even let you take on bottles which are over the limit that are half empty.

+1 Yeah, this, I love getting in line behind a "gent" who thinks his soap should be considered hard enough .. gives me time to take off the belt and wonder how to mold the c-4 into something that passes

+1 Yeah, this, I love getting in line behind a "gent" who thinks his soap should be considered hard enough .. gives me time to take off the belt and wonder how to mold the c-4 into something that passes
Exactly what I was thinking haha. They measure soaps in fluid ounces and millilitres. Just buy a small stick or compliant tube of gel or something if you’re carrying on.

Top Bottom