What's new

Too rich for my wallet

I think there is a lot of "ignorant" involved at all levels. I enjoy the hunt and frequent antique malls and plain old junk stores. How many times have we seen a old white chipped coffee mug with a beat up old boar brush in it labeled as " Shave Mug and Brush, Just like your Grandfathers, $30". They don't know what they are selling, they are just hoping for that impulse buyer who thinks it was someone's shave mug like what their Grandpa used.

When you say " I'll give you $4 for the brush and you can keep the coffee mug" they just look confused. Maybe try posting a request on the WTB sub-forum.

I have noticed that the prices for old brushes are starting to climb up in some of the antique stores I frequent. I went to one yesterday and found 3 or 4 decent handles, but they were all priced a little higher than I like to pay. Or maybe I have gotten too spoiled by some of the good deals I have found in the past.

I'm not sure if sellers are unscrupulous most of the time but maybe just "ignorant". I think there are a ton of people out there who think that just because something is old, it must be worth hundreds of dollars. I don't think they get that demand dictates price.

Since no claims were made, or evidence presented, that this brush belonged to and was used by a US President or a Hollywood celebrity, I vote for unscrupulous. At the very least the seller is extremely lazy.

Yeah, the shipping charge pissed me off almost as mush as the ridiculous BIN. A couple days ago someone listed a really beat up Ever Ready brush at $99.99. I thought that it had to be a mistake and that she meant $9.99 so I PM'd her. No, she expected $100 because she saw an old brush go for $177. My guess is that she had that brush lying around, saw a good NOS brush go for a high price and figured she had hit the jackpot.

eBay can be a frustrating place. Makes me want to buy that shock therapy device. :)

what she didn't know was the $177 brush was probably a vintage simspson's brush.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shaving-Bru...149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519c0e7515

I look for the "buy it nows" you might pay a few bucks more but you don't have to play the waiting game :whistling: or deal with the last second bidders :cursing:

She already turned down my $10 bid (including shipping). She countered with $415.

I may contact her and see if she would be interested in purchasing my 1992 Ford Tempo for $100,000. I think that is a good price, I have seen Italian sport cars go for way more than that.

I may contact her and see if she would be interested in purchasing my 1992 Ford Tempo for $100,000. I think that is a good price, I have seen Italian sport cars go for way more than that.

ohhh.... tempo.... thats almost the spanish word for time.... that adds ~99,000$ to the value right?? the exoticness of the name.....:lol:

Ebay told me there were 3 competing offers. Maybe I should have upped my offer to $5.50.
I hope you get it...
I have the same handle and use it 3-4x/week but even I wouldn't ask more than $350 for it (plus shipping of course...ha!) :w00t:

...Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you get it...
I have the same handle and use it 3-4x/week but even I wouldn't ask more than $350 for it (plus shipping of course...ha!) :w00t:

...Ray

Yours is in much better shape. Worth at least $500.

Last edited by a moderator:
*LAUGHS* I offered poor Geraldine $10 + $10 shipping to Australia for her ridiculously over-priced $425 vintage brush on Ebay last night, making the comment that this was the absolute most it as worth and that asking $425 was "either the sign of extreme ignorance or an attempt at fraud." A quick look this morning reveals that since thent she's dropped the price to $50.... :lol::lol::lol:

The sad thing is that, even at THAT amount, it's still ridiculously overpriced. But at least she seemed to get a bit of a clue from us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom