What's new

Too rich for my wallet

I'm keeping my eyes open for a pretty handle to try my first restore, but the folks on the 'Bay are just insane in their asking prices. There's a fairly beat up Lucite and black brush over there with an asking price of $425. And, no, I didn't forget the decimal point.

Where do y'all find your handles? I've been scouring the antique and thrift stores around here with no luck. No shaving gear at all. :nonod:

i get mine from ebay.you have to scour the place and wait forever somtimes but sooner or later the one im looking for will apear at the right price.good hunting

You can get good deals on the bay, you just have to be patient. There are some clowns who try to take advantage of ignorant buyers, but if you just look around you can get some deals. I got a Dubl Duck recently for all of 7 bucks.

BTW, while perusing the listings over there, I found what might be the ultimate cure for Ever Ready BAD. An Ever Ready Electric Shock Therapy Machine! Only $1.54 right now.

Last edited:
Those red and white Dubl Ducks are great looking handles, but I ended up breaking two of them before I got one restored successfully. They use a combination of really, really strong glue, a metal collar and then fairly weak plastic on the exterior. Just be careful when you go to drill out the knot!

They make great restored brushes, however, so good luck!

Here's mine. I'm just lucky, I guess. The antique stores around here are full of vintage brushes. I bring back one or two every trip. I choose based on color, style and condition, leaving many behind. Rudy Vey did this restore for me, the brush itself was never used as far as I could tell, it's in mint condition, with vibrant colors. The original knot was boar and turning to dust.

Attachments

• $Dubl Duck brush, reknotted 006.jpg
    $Dubl Duck brush, reknotted 006.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 456
Old shave items seem to be among the hottest auctions on EBay these days. I often wonder of the seller does not bid against themselves in these cases.

I have gotten most of mine for under $4 each in antique stores. here is the listing he is talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mad...469?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43abe3178d

Yea, but that seller is out of his flipping mind!! No cruddy lucite brush like that has ever gone for even 1/10 of the asking price, so he can "offer" it at $425 but it does not mean that it is the going rate for these brushes. Honestly, for any brush that is NOT too popular on eBay, you can expect to pay between 4 and 10. For anything that is even a little bit popular, I'd expect to pay somewhere between 12 and 20. For really popular ones, like the black and Bakelite EverReady's, they will routinely go for around $25 to 35. And that's all that anyone should or does end up paying. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

Yea, but that seller is out of his flipping mind!! No cruddy lucite brush like that has ever gone for even 1/10 of the asking price, so he can "offer" it at $425 but it does not mean that it is the going rate for these brushes. Honestly, for any brush that is NOT too popular on eBay, you can expect to pay between 4 and 10. For anything that is even a little bit popular, I'd expect to pay somewhere between 12 and 20. For really popular ones, like the black and Bakelite EverReady's, they will routinely go for around $25 to 35. And that's all that anyone should or does end up paying. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

I agree with you, I posted about this listing in the regular brush forum earlier today, the seller is insane!!

I'm keeping my eyes open for a pretty handle to try my first restore, but the folks on the 'Bay are just insane in their asking prices. There's a fairly beat up Lucite and black brush over there with an asking price of $425. And, no, I didn't forget the decimal point.

Where do y'all find your handles? I've been scouring the antique and thrift stores around here with no luck. No shaving gear at all. :nonod:
Whippeddog.
$22 for a silvertip and handle... Larry will even glue them together for you.

i got one just about as crappy with bristles falling out.... i will get it go got $400 even.... and i'll throw in free shipping...

this guy wants to charge 6$

i got one just about as crappy with bristles falling out.... i will get it go got $400 even.... and i'll throw in free shipping...

this guy wants to charge 6$

Yeah, the shipping charge pissed me off almost as mush as the ridiculous BIN. A couple days ago someone listed a really beat up Ever Ready brush at $99.99. I thought that it had to be a mistake and that she meant $9.99 so I PM'd her. No, she expected $100 because she saw an old brush go for $177. My guess is that she had that brush lying around, saw a good NOS brush go for a high price and figured she had hit the jackpot.

eBay can be a frustrating place. Makes me want to buy that shock therapy device. :)

walking thru a flea market is like a kid at an easter egg hunt. same goes for antique malls. brushes will be laying back in the corners out of the way so keep your eyes open and enjoy the hunt

Keep scouring the internet, but don't be afraid to do a little leg work, too. Antique and thrift stores can be good, but you often need to cover a wider area than your immediate vicinity. I recommend making a day of it on a Saturday and hitting every place within thirty miles of your house. Big flea markets can also be really good, although of course they're more occasional than regular stores. If you don't want to get ripped off, you need a good dose of patience. The good deals will come along eventually.

And yeah, eBay enables insanity. Some sellers seem to enjoy leaching money out of their own wallets by having to list and relist items at jacked-up prices with no one buying. (Seriously, at $425, wouldn't the seller take a noticeable hit every time it's listed?) I've seen items relisted an absurd number of times by sellers who refuse to lower their initial bid price.

And yeah, eBay enables insanity. Some sellers seem to enjoy leaching money out of their own wallets by having to list and relist items at jacked-up prices with no one buying. (Seriously, at $425, wouldn't the seller take a noticeable hit every time it's listed?) I've seen items relisted an absurd number of times by sellers who refuse to lower their initial bid price.

Periodically, they will run "free to list" specials, where the seller does not pay a listing fee, only a final value fee, so there is nothing to hinder a less than scrupulous seller from listing his $10 item for $400. If nobody is foolish enough to buy it, he isn't out a dime.

I'm not sure if sellers are unscrupulous most of the time but maybe just "ignorant". I think there are a ton of people out there who think that just because something is old, it must be worth hundreds of dollars. I don't think they get that demand dictates price.

Top Bottom