What's new

Too much ink from Al-Star?

I have a Lamy Al-Star with an X-fine nib and I like that it lays down a smooth, thin line, but it throws out too much ink. I have tried Lamy ink and Private Reserve Invincible Black, but they both lay down too much ink and it takes a bit to dry. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there something I can do? I know I'm not pressing too hard.

I have a Lamy Al-Star with an X-fine nib and I like that it lays down a smooth, thin line, but it throws out too much ink. I have tried Lamy ink and Private Reserve Invincible Black, but they both lay down too much ink and it takes a bit to dry. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there something I can do? I know I'm not pressing too hard.

You've switched inks which is what I would first think to try. Have you tried diluting the inks? Private Reserve, I know, is highly pgmented and I dilute mine 50/50 with distilled water. It does dry quicker doing this and, of course, a bottle of ink goes a lot further.

I'm no pen expert, just a user, but you might take a look and ask around at http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/. I've learned quite a lot hanging around there!

Mine flows a little on the dry side with a fine nib and using Noodler's bulletproof black. I would imagine that the first bit of advice you'll get on FPN would be to give the pen a good flushing out with water and then trying again.

By the way, I've had zero issues with many different Noodler's inks in either my Safari or Al-star.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I guess a different ink may be in order. I know that my Pilot Knight loves my Lamy ink. Flows smoothly and dries quickly.

+1 on the Bullet Proof in your Lamy and the Parker.
Also, great choice on a cool pen!
My Lamy Safari Ex Fine (plastic version of your Al-Star) still runs faster than my Parker 51 Fine with Noodlers, but I never feel like the flow is running away from me

Is the Al-Star a new purchase?
It took me a few weeks to get used to my Lamy, but now I love it (maybe more than my Parker 51...maybe)

If you're using a converter, please check the seal. A leak there will make it flow too fast.

Each pen has it's own ink flow characteristics. Some are very wet while others are pretty dry. Mont Blancs are notorious wet writers. Many of the Japanese pens are drier although Sailor can be a bit wet. Depending on the pen some nib masters such as Michael Masuyama at Mike It Work, LLC. www.mikeitwork.com can change the ink flow on some pens to make them write drier. I have had several Mont Blancs which I have sold due to how wet they write but love my Waterman Le Man 100 with EF which is a bit on the dry side. You MIGHT be able to get the Al-Star to write drier but I sort of doubt it.

I'm about to go on vacation, so I'll mess with it when I get back. I like a pretty fine writer, which the Al-Star would be if it didn't flow so much ink. It feels good in the hand, but I have to have wet signatures on lots of documents at work every day so this pen is very inconvenient for me at work. I would like it to work, but it would be easy to sell it on the B/S/T if it doesn't work out.

But it's so pretty in coffee brown.

Top Bottom