What's new

Too Many Scents?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
This is not going where you think, your collections are fine.

I just read an article in Esquire Magazine that I will paraphrase.

You get ready to go out on the town/date: you shower, shave, apply aftershave and reach for your signature scent. And you smell like - everything! Scented shampoo, body wash, AS, etc.

They were making a pitch for using more unscented products before going for that nice cologne.

What think you?

I understand their point but it is a little more complex than that! The strength of scent from product to product can vary quite a bit and should! Body Wash, Shampoo and Conditioner should leave a pleasant scent behind but they are not going to be anywhere near as strong as your Cologne nor should they be! Also, you apply these scents to different areas in usage than you would apply your cologne. Most often your cologne is applied to areas of your body that are exposed like your wrists and neck and the others mentioned before and your armpits, chest, back, your junk and your butt and legs are almost always clothed so they are not really going to give off that much scent! The easiest thing would be to coordinate your bath and body products with your cologne so they are complimentary to each other!

The Esquire proposal is certainly one alternative. However, I go the other route.

I like a scented shampoo and soap when I shower because the scents make my shower a more pleasurable experience. I shave with a scented shave cream or soap because it enhances my shaving experience. I often use lightly scented witch hazel as my aftershave and only use a scented aftershave or cologne on special occasions. I am a senior citizen who is long past trying to impress others with my "signature scent".

Interesting idea. I find that the strongest scent is usually my EdT. That being said if I use a strong aftershave I will generally try to match my EdT to that.

I like how some scents blend together ...
Ie I am lying in bed and can't sleep due to a bit if discomfort from a prostate biopsy and I am enjoying the residue fragrance mix of Spicebomb and Pinaud Musk....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
They will *all* fade- the soap, the aftershave and even most colognes.

Except Grey Flannel. That won't fade. Oh no it won't. :a50:

AA

Most of my soaps and aftershaves have scents that fade fairly quickly. I tend to use the really strong aftershaves on occasions where I know it will be a few hours at least before I apply cologne.

I use neutral aftershaves and deodorants, but not neutral bath soaps or, necessarily, shaving soaps. Not sure it makes sense.

Top Bottom