What's new

Too many brush choices!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
With so many brushes out there is there really a big performance difference from $20 to 30$ brushes and $30 to $100 brushes? Synthetic vs best badger vs silvertip? The choices are confusing!

Very confusing all these brush choices.

Jade.MightyMidget.640.4-18.JPG

This Omega Premium Jade (from Connaught) is in my opinion the best boar on the market, but certainly not the most expensive. The little Omega Mighty Midget is very inexpensive, like around $7 when I bought mine, but it's an excellent little brush.

There are many very good boars - Omegas and Zeniths and Mondial - for not more than about $30.

It's hard to beat a good boar once it's broken in.

Zenith.Copper.Manchurian.3-6-19.jpeg

This copper handled Zenith Manchurian costs about $95. It's worth every penny. It's my very favorite brush.

GD-Mallard-Fougere.5-14-19.Kit.350.Yaqi.640JPG.JPG

As much as I like the Zenith Manchurian, this far more inexpensive Yaqi two band is surprisingly close in the performance qualities I value.

I'm a big fan of brushes which have a good bit of backbone and scrub. I like lather monsters for my face lathering. I think you're saying you'd like the brushes I like.

I wouldn't trade my copper handled Zenith Manchurian or my Connaught Jade for any other brushes. Both are great brushes but they're also not leagues better than brushes which cost a fraction of what they go for.

Many many good brushes are available for not much money. I'm not a fan of synthetics but they are generally inexpensive and have many fans.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Happy shaves,

Jim

There is no ‘one size fits all’ answer when it comes to brushes!

You need to try things yourself to decide what makes you happy. That said, the price point for a very fine synthetic or boar is far lower than for a good badger brush.

The maggard synthetic looks decent for a 10 dollar brush. Any downside with synthetic other than not being as soft? Are they much more prickly feeling than a best badger?

It feels the other way around to me, with the synth feeling softer and floppier than any badger below a silvertip.
While I greatly prefer boars, I typically recommend Synths for new shavers. They don't need a break-in period or a pre-shave soak, and they dry quicker.

Pricewise, you're spoiled for choice in the $10-15 range with either synths or boars, while a badger in that price range will give you brushburn. Decent badger brushes start about double that with the Maggard & Stirling Finest. The differences above that price point tend to be based on personal tastes, and aesthetics.

Almost ready to pull the trigger on a Muhle 39k257 synthetic silvertip to go with a captains choice lather bowl. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom