What's new

Too lazy to type out three pipe tobacco questions...

Hey All,

Enjoying a smoke this afternoon and pondering pipe stuff...

I guess I have always preferred a drier tobacco. When I first went from Lane's blends to C&D (back when you still had to send a check in the mail to Craig and buy a pound of tobacco for $18) my eyes were really opened. I pretty much dry out all of my tobaccos now to some extent. I've been known to load a bowl about 24 hours before smoking it. Anybody else in this same camp?

Tobacco cuts are another thing. I used to love cube cut and ribbon cut. Really don't like either, anymore. D&R tobacco's shag cut and the smaller pieces like Prince Albert's crimp cut are my favorites now. MacBaren's Ready Rubbed isn't bad either- basically a broken flake that I can rub out even more to get what I want. What's your favorite cut?

And lastly, saw something interesting on P&C's webpage the other day. @SwamperWI sent me a nice sample of Butternut Burley. I looked up the reviews on the webpage and it said something to the effect of "because of FDA regulations this tobacco cannot be shipped already blended". So, they send you the blend in two separate bags and you have to blend it yourself. As far as I know, everything else they sell is shipped already blended- what kind of crazy legislation would stop them from doing this blend?

Anyhow, hope everyone is doing well today and enjoying their smokes.

Yes, I've been drying my tobacco since returning to the pipe in Jan. 2021. In the '80s when I first started, everything was about the right moisture level; pipe tobacco jars even came with a little humidifying disc inside the lid. Thinking back, I recall having tongue bite more often than not. Now I dry the leaf, 15 minutes to (sometimes) 24 hours, and everything goes very well.

Ribbon used to be my favorite, and I like it still with Sir Walter Raleigh and the Aromatic. Haven't tried cube cut. Flake is fine; I've even tried the fold-and-stuff method (worked okay). The ready-rubbed chunks of Edgeworth make loading my pipes a little tricky. I guess the broken flake seems to work about the best for me aside from the codger blends.

The blend description for Butternut Burley does not say what the components are that you have to mix yourself. So I can't imagine why the FDA is weighing in on this. (Nowadays I listen to less than nothing they have to say, anyhow.)

Last edited:
what kind of crazy legislation would stop them from doing this blend?
Not legislation at all, that's the biggest problem. It was a "regulation" drafted by an unelected power drunk dictatorial bureaucracy, the FDA. Their entire premise was debunked in subsequent studies, but here we are.

Long story short, that blend apparently wasn't on the market long enough before the arbitrary date set by the FDA to be deemed as "grandfathered." Even longer story short, that means it's dangerous to children, unless they send Uncle Sugar a nice fat check, in which case it's cool.

I do like the fact that folks are coming up with workarounds.

Top Bottom