What's new

TOO close a shave?

Greetings Gents,

I'm in the market for some advice... Yesterday afternoon I did my biweekly shave with my Timeless .68 Ti SB/SC and a new Personna Platinum Chrome (blue) blade. My last shave with the Timeless was on Sunday, so 48 hours beard growth. All other variables remained constant with the exception of the lather was a little thicker and didn't disappear as quickly when on my face. It seemed like for the most part, I could barely feel the razor on my skin. I double-checked. Sure enough, the stubble was gone. On my upper and lower lip there was some blood. Nothing that the alum block couldn't staunch, but blood nonetheless. Those spots always seem to show at least a little blood. The thing is, there, my chin, my jaw and my neck I could barely feel the blade and I'm sure I was increasing the pressure/angle to generate some feedback. I have to shave without my glasses, so I pretty much am shaving by touch and rely on the feedback on the skin to know what I'm doing.

Admittedly yesterday was only Shave #5 down the double-edged road, so I don't have a clue yet. Yesterday did give me probably my closest BBS/DFS I've ever experienced. However... However my neck was and still is on fire. Could the 0.68 blade gap be the culprit here? Could it be making the shave so smooth that I'm causing myself grief by scraping harder? Would a larger blade gap help me or hinder me? I'm tempted to get the 0.95 regardless but what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
-Scott

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
How many passes are you doing? And what kind of passes (i.e., With the Grain, Across the Grain, Against the Grain)?

Just don't take too many swipes over the same area. And glide your razor over your skin lightly and slowly in sensitive areas.

Are you using an animal hair brush like boar? If you do, don't mash it down hard on your skin till you can feel the knot. Just mash it in lightly and don't let it splay too much. Excessive force when lathering can cause burns.

Typically do WTG, XTG, and ATG if I feel the need, which is more often than not. I don't do XTG around upper/lower lip though. As far as I can tell, my shaving patterns with a blade haven't changed. If I do need touch-ups, I try to be very conscious of them and keep the touch as light as possible. The problem is that if I can't feel the blade, am I actually doing anything but giving myself a massage?

Last edited:
Just don't take too many swipes over the same area. And glide your razor over your skin lightly and slowly in sensitive areas.

Are you using an animal hair brush like boar? If you do, don't mash it down hard on your skin till you can feel the knot. Just mash it in lightly and don't let it splay too much. Excessive force when lathering can cause burns.
It's a Vulfix Super Badger which I use to paint the lather on. I never face lather and up until just recently only made the lather in the mug the puck sits in. Now I use a bowl. Prior to the Timeless, I occasionally used a Harry's cartridge razor but mostly an electric my entire life.

IMHO, it's too soon to change your hardware. If you are getting irritation, it is more than likely your technique. You develop skill with practice, just like sports or playing a musical instrument.

The usual causes of irritation are applying too much pressure, using the wrong shaving angle, or not having good quality lather. Try to work on those things before changing up the hardware.

Congrats for starting your wet shaving journey! It is an acquired skill, and a process. The results, when you master it, will be more than worthwhile. You shouldn't have any brush burn with your painting lathering approach and brush. Vulfix in super, from the ones I have, are fairly soft brushes. I believe they have the same hair as Simpsons best. Given that, it's likely a pressure or angle, or both- as other posted while I've been writing this. IMHO the most likely causes for your irritation, in order of likelihood, and the basic fixes are:

1. Too much pressure with your razor, even if you think your not feeling the blade- just enough to remove virtually all the lather, nothing more. I'd recommend you avoid buffing and going ATG until you can shave irritation free for a week or so. I tell folks that after your pass there should be enough residual slickness on your face for you to feel when running a finger over the area you just shaved. If you've shaved to totally dry, it's not optimal.
2. Poor razor angle- weepers around lips and irritation on your neck may represent angle issues. An irritated neck is most often pressure or angle. Do you stretch your skin when you shave? You might try shorter strokes on your neck and a bit of stretching. Wet your fingertips and rub them on your alum to be able to grab on a just shaved area.
3. Lather was too thick to provide sufficient cushion/glide, or wasn't left on long enough to soften whiskers- try a slightly thinner lather and leave it on a minute before starting to shave. For illustration, canned foam looks fine, but works poorly.
4. Blade/razor combo off for you- some combos just seem to end up harsh. Try a different blade.
5. Reaction to a soap ingredient, for example lanolin- try a different soap/cream, there are many, but something like Cella Extra Extra Bio, or another vegan option that's nice for sensitive skin.
6. Reaction to aftershave product- too much alum, which is a salt, can occasionally be irritating. Try something simple like cold water then witch hazel, and use your alum only to stem weepers. Wash it off with cold tap water after about a minute or so.

I can't really comment on the current DE razor market, as I've been away from it too long to know the current offerings. On the vintage side, a mild, dependable Gillette Tech has always been the starting point for me when helping folks get into DE shaving. Mild razors and a decently sharp blade can usually work well enough.

Good luck, you, like the rest of us, will get there in a reasonably short time.

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Lots of great comments and advice....I will say that if I attempt to go "across the grain" on my lower neck or lip, then I will can end up with enough tiny bleeders that make me look like I contracted measles. For me, I stay with WTG and XTG on the lip, and mostly WTG on my neck. Just a thought.

Several thoughts:

First, congratulations on your progress!! ’Traditional’ wet shaving is a skill that takes time to acquire.

Second, the usual causes of irritation are pressure (think ‘NO pressure) and/or poor razor angle. Focus on your technique, read through the Wiki, watch a few videos and keep at it! Your shaves will improve.

In sum, technique trumps most anything else in ‘traditional’ wet shaving. I suggest you keep your current set-up for awhile while you work through the logistics of prep, optimal lather, NO pressure, etc.!

Stick with this and you will get the shaves you want! :clap: :clap:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Congrats for starting your wet shaving journey! It is an acquired skill, and a process. The results, when you master it, will be more than worthwhile. You shouldn't have any brush burn with your painting lathering approach and brush. Vulfix in super, from the ones I have, are fairly soft brushes. I believe they have the same hair as Simpsons best. Given that, it's likely a pressure or angle, or both- as other posted while I've been writing this. IMHO the most likely causes for your irritation, in order of likelihood, and the basic fixes are:

1. Too much pressure with your razor, even if you think your not feeling the blade- just enough to remove virtually all the lather, nothing more. I'd recommend you avoid buffing and going ATG until you can shave irritation free for a week or so. I tell folks that after your pass there should be enough residual slickness on your face for you to feel when running a finger over the area you just shaved. If you've shaved to totally dry, it's not optimal.
2. Poor razor angle- weepers around lips and irritation on your neck may represent angle issues. An irritated neck is most often pressure or angle. Do you stretch your skin when you shave? You might try shorter strokes on your neck and a bit of stretching. Wet your fingertips and rub them on your alum to be able to grab on a just shaved area.
3. Lather was too thick to provide sufficient cushion/glide, or wasn't left on long enough to soften whiskers- try a slightly thinner lather and leave it on a minute before starting to shave. For illustration, canned foam looks fine, but works poorly.
4. Blade/razor combo off for you- some combos just seem to end up harsh. Try a different blade.
5. Reaction to a soap ingredient, for example lanolin- try a different soap/cream, there are many, but something like Cella Extra Extra Bio, or another vegan option that's nice for sensitive skin.
6. Reaction to aftershave product- too much alum, which is a salt, can occasionally be irritating. Try something simple like cold water then witch hazel, and use your alum only to stem weepers. Wash it off with cold tap water after about a minute or so.

I can't really comment on the current SE razor market, as I've been away from it too long to know the current offerings. On the vintage side, a mild, dependable Gillette Tech has always been the starting point for me when helping folks get into DE shaving. Mild razors and a decently sharp blade can usually work well enough.

Great advice! Definitely+1. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a Timeless .68 and it is pretty forgiving. You are most likely using too much pressure while shaving your neck. I struggled with that when I first began shaving.
I agree. If the .68 is causing irritation you are using too much pressure.
Several thoughts:

First, congratulations on your progress!! ’Traditional’ wet shaving is a skill that takes time to acquire.

Second, the usual causes of irritation are pressure (think ‘NO pressure) and/or poor razor angle. Focus on your technique, read through the Wiki, watch a few videos and keep at it! Your shaves will improve.

In sum, technique trumps most anything else in ‘traditional’ wet shaving. I suggest you keep your current set-up for awhile while you work through the logistics of prep, optimal lather, NO pressure, etc.!

Stick with this and you will get the shaves you want! :clap: :clap:

More great advice! 👍

Keep at it and you'll find the irritation will go away with a positive increase in technique.

Personally I just avoid the ATG pass altogether.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Greetings Gents,

I'm in the market for some advice... Yesterday afternoon I did my biweekly shave with my Timeless .68 Ti SB/SC and a new Personna Platinum Chrome (blue) blade. My last shave with the Timeless was on Sunday, so 48 hours beard growth. All other variables remained constant with the exception of the lather was a little thicker and didn't disappear as quickly when on my face. It seemed like for the most part, I could barely feel the razor on my skin. I double-checked. Sure enough, the stubble was gone. On my upper and lower lip there was some blood. Nothing that the alum block couldn't staunch, but blood nonetheless. Those spots always seem to show at least a little blood. The thing is, there, my chin, my jaw and my neck I could barely feel the blade and I'm sure I was increasing the pressure/angle to generate some feedback. I have to shave without my glasses, so I pretty much am shaving by touch and rely on the feedback on the skin to know what I'm doing.

Admittedly yesterday was only Shave #5 down the double-edged road, so I don't have a clue yet. Yesterday did give me probably my closest BBS/DFS I've ever experienced. However... However my neck was and still is on fire. Could the 0.68 blade gap be the culprit here? Could it be making the shave so smooth that I'm causing myself grief by scraping harder? Would a larger blade gap help me or hinder me? I'm tempted to get the 0.95 regardless but what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
-Scott

The Timeless Ti 0.68 is an exceptionally smooth razor that clamps the blade securely in place. You won't hear as much aural feedback from a well supported blade.

Try minimal pressure and see how it goes. I would also skip the ATG pass until you familiarize yourself with how the Ti 0.68 feels and sounds.

I can't really comment on the current DE razor market, as I've been away from it too long to know the current offerings. On the vintage side, a mild, dependable Gillette Tech has always been the starting point for me when helping folks get into DE shaving. Mild razors and a decently sharp blade can usually work well enough.

I could not have written this any better myself. These were all the thoughts swirling through my head, as well. The only thing I would encourage beyond those points are:

- Use/try a pre-shave product to give your skin elasticity before dragging a blade over it. I have tried what feels like every product imagineable and have settled on three pre-shaves that I think tower above all else:

1) Grooming Department Pre-Shave
2) Sweyn Forkbeard Shaving Oil
3) Crux Pre-Shave Oil

- Play with the order in your pre-shave routine. Most here and elsewhere will tell you to shower and then shave. For me, the big break came when I went with shave first then shower. Don't be afraid to try things.

Thanks all for your great advice! It really means a lot to get feedback like this! :001_smile A few responses to your comments:
  • re: pre-shaves - I do have a pre-shave, the Blades Grim Smolder. I've used it a couple of times with no detrimental effects. My only complaint is that it leaves my hands greasy and have to wash them (again) before picking up the razor. Sometimes I use it, sometimes not. Depends on the mood I'm in.
  • re: lather thickness - I thought thicker was better and it seemed to stay on my face longer than before, so it seemed I was going in the right direction. Another variable to tweak. :001_unsur
  • re: after shave products - I don't use aftershave per se, only skin conditioners, currently Thayer's original aloe astringent. With the astringent containing alcohol, I was expecting a pretty serious burn which surprisingly did not materialize. I use the astringent instead of the toner because you could sink a well into my skin and the oil produced would rival the production from Texas or Alaska and astringents are supposedly better for that type of skin.
  • re: razor/blade synergy - I've been reading up a bit here on the Personna blades. Some love them, some hate them, YMMV. It is my first time trying that blade, but I think the most powerful variable in my equation, above blade type, is shaving technique. Which brings me to...
  • re: shaving technique - Yep, I figured the main problem was the idiot staring back at me in the mirror. I need to learn to trust the hardware. I seem to consciously remind myself to lighten up on the pressure, after the fact. I'm sure that's why there was blood on the razor. My neck seems to be predisposed for being sensitive. Even electrics can cause it to flare up, but running a sharp blade over the skin numerous times just made things worse.
I really need to slow down, concentrate on what I'm doing and be in the moment. Forget about what I need to do once I'm done shaving. That time and event will surely come, I don't need to worry about it right now. Great comments guys, thanks again!!

Thanks all for your great advice! It really means a lot to get feedback like this! :001_smile A few responses to your comments:
  • re: shaving technique - Yep, I figured the main problem was the idiot staring back at me in the mirror. I need to learn to trust the hardware. I seem to consciously remind myself to lighten up on the pressure, after the fact. I'm sure that's why there was blood on the razor. My neck seems to be predisposed for being sensitive. Even electrics can cause it to flare up, but running a sharp blade over the skin numerous times just made things worse.
I really need to slow down, concentrate on what I'm doing and be in the moment. Forget about what I need to do once I'm done shaving. That time and event will surely come, I don't need to worry about it right now. Great comments guys, thanks again!!
I think you are on the right track. There is a learning curve and the whole consciously not applying pressure thing takes a little time to master. Shaving the neck area is something everyone struggles with in the beginning. That area is more sensitive than most other areas and most people have hair growing in different directions in different areas on their neck. With the Timeless .68 I usually go 3 passes with touchups or 4 passes to achieve BBS and I usually don't experience irritation. YMMV. Map the different directions that your hair grows on your neck so you can do the WTG, XTG and ATG properly for each area. Maybe this weekend when you have time experiment with your lather. Feel it when you rub your fingers together to see how slick it is then add a little water and mix then check it again. Repeat. It takes some experimentation. Different soaps/creams require different amounts of water so maybe stick with just one for a while until you get the proper ratio for that soap/cream figured out. You will get this.

Great advice here. The Timeless .68 is a fairly mild and forgiving razor. That having been said, it is efficient. Make sure you don't make too many passes over any given area. Also...lather with every pass. The lather is your protection. I lather for touch up strokes. No lather = No protection.
I definitely remembered to do that. The problem is it felt so. damned. smooth.! It can't be doing anything, right? :adoration: Trust in your hardware, idjit!!

Top Bottom