What's new

Tony Miller's Old No. 2 Heirloom strop

I can’t wait. The strop and razor have shipped. I am really glad I found this forum because I was able to learn a lot and find out about some great companies. It really is mind boggling how deep and complex the straight razor world is.
One of the best forums in my opinion.
Most people are very friendly and helpful.

The straight razor world is very deep indeed.
Wait until you get into honing, another deep rabbit hole.

Everything is really fun though!

Hi everyone, didn't want to start a new thread to ask this, what would be the differences between the Veg Tanned Old Nº2 and the Notovan Old Nº2?

Which one would have a quicker draw, which one would you rather use for full hollow blades or, indeed, for less hollow ones?

I have pretty much decided to get one of Tony's strops but I can't manage to find this kind of info regarding the differences between the two strops.

Many thanks!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The veg tanned will have a much faster, slippery draw. The Notovan will be a bit slower and feel sort of magnetic, like the razors is drawn down to the strop but still fairly light, to light/medium. Each piece varies a little but I can usually pic one based on a customers desires. While I just started offering these again, this is the same two horsehides I have offered several years ago so older reviews you may find should still be accurate.

The veg tanned will have a much faster, slippery draw. The Notovan will be a bit slower and feel sort of magnetic, like the razors is drawn down to the strop but still fairly light, to light/medium. Each piece varies a little but I can usually pic one based on a customers desires. While I just started offering these again, this is the same two horsehides I have offered several years ago so older reviews you may find should still be accurate.
Many thanks for that, Tony, I actually sent you an email a few days ago asking you about this and telling you my preferences and "weapons of choice", but I decided to ask the very knowledgeable gentlemen around here in the meantime.

Cheers!
Stefan

After reading the discussion in this thread I ordered my second strop from Heirloom Razor Strop Co.

I purchased a 3" Artisan "Notovan" Horsehide Premium "Old No. 2" Strop yesterday and I received word that it has already shipped. I'm looking forward to comparing it to the 3" Heirloom Artisan Roughout Heavy Draw Steerhide Strop that I picked up in February. Both have the 3-ply handle. The contrast in strops and their draw should be nice to have. I'm confident that history will repeat itself and I'll enjoy the quality Notovan.

I’m thoroughly impressed with Tony’s work. I have a No 2 with linen, plain vanilla, and travel strop.

Thanks for making such a good product, Tony.

upload_2019-4-13_23-52-44.jpeg

+1. No complaints about my 3” Notovan.
Had the strop for a few weeks, stumbled across this.
Thanks Mr. Miller

Got my 3" Notovan strop yesterday, after a short stay at Spain's Customs. I am impressed with the excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail. Haven't had the chance to try it out yet but the quality is top notch, I am very happy, thanks @TonyMiller!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom