What's new

Tony Miller Old #2 Heirloom

Well I finally got my TM Heirloom Old #2 a few weeks back and I have to say this strop for the money is in a class of its own. Well made and quick shipping from a great guy.

I cannot figure why I took so long to buy one after reading post after post raving about this model.

Ive been considering one of these for a while now. I currently own a Portland Razor co. strop, love the leather but hate the poly-web that it has.

I have had lots of TM strops and liked them all but currently have just the one and it’s his Grandpa strop made with Italian bridle leather, it’s very glassy but it got used a lot when I shaved.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I have had lots of TM strops and liked them all but currently have just the one and it’s his Grandpa strop made with Italian bridle leather, it’s very glassy but it got used a lot when I shaved.

They were actually Spanish Bridle and started with a very smooth, glassy surface due to the waxes used in processing at the tannery. The antique coloring of that leather inspired the aged Grandpa's Strop idea. The slick surface is very similar to Horween's horse shells with a burnished, glazed surface. Just got a new steerhide with a similar finish, super fast but darker colored than the Spanish Bridle.

They were actually Spanish Bridle and started with a very smooth, glassy surface due to the waxes used in processing at the tannery. The antique coloring of that leather inspired the aged Grandpa's Strop idea. The slick surface is very similar to Horween's horse shells with a burnished, glazed surface. Just got a new steerhide with a similar finish, super fast but darker colored than the Spanish Bridle.

Tony thanks for keeping me straight, I simply love the Strop and will never part with it.

Here is it’s current condition and color, as far a draw as i stated it’s very glassy and to me the draw on it falls between my Kanayama 50 and Westholme Cordovan

14393625-E7F3-4F14-A743-21345BE6FA5A.jpeg

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Here is it’s current condition and color, as far a draw as i stated it’s very glassy and to me the draw on it falls between my Kanayama 50 and Westholme Cordovan

View attachment 946516

With the Westholme Cordovan having less draw or being "faster"? I have not had the pleasure of using either the Kanayama or the Westholme but know that they are very fine strops.

With the Westholme Cordovan having less draw or being "faster"? I have not had the pleasure of using either the Kanayama or the Westholme but know that they are very fine strops.

Tony,

The Westholme Cordovan is on the higher end of glassy to me than the Grandpa Strop and then the Kanayama is less glassy than the grandpa strop, I know Strop draw is all a perception thing and to some it may not be the same feel to them but to me it is and the strops you produce are on the same level of workmanship and quality and I have never been disappointed in anything I have purchased from you, yes I have tried lots of your strops and currently only have the one but it’s the one I get the most pleasure from using and I decided several years back i needed to pair down so I sold off all but the current ones I have

All I can say is buy one as they are very effective and well-made.

I couldn't hold out anymore so I ended up purchasing one. I however got one of his "rough out" stops to compliment my light draw Bridle leather PRC strop and my small 2" travel strop of his. Can't wait to get it and try it out!

I couldn't hold out anymore so I ended up purchasing one. I however got one of his "rough out" stops to compliment my light draw Bridle leather PRC strop and my small 2" travel strop of his. Can't wait to get it and try it out!

You will love his attention to detail and the quality. I totally have put my SRD strop to the side and it will go to my shop to hang from my barber chair for looks.

Top Bottom