What's new

Tony Miller Latigo Strop Pass Around

I probably can’t add as much depth as some, because I don’t have a lot of exposure to multiple strops. But with that said, I really like this strop. My comparison is based against my 2 1/2” TM Plain Vanilla.

This pass around strop has a thinner leather piece that is more supple and flexible than mine. The draw is fast and smooth. And the linen is very nice also and is really soft compared to my cotton strop. I really like this strop and enjoyed using it! You know Tony’s craftsmanship and everything about this strop just highlights that quality. I will have another of Tony’s strops in my future.

I will ship this out to @Ky K on Monday and I’ll post the tracking # for those following along at home. Outstanding work @Tony Miller and thank you for the pass around opportunity.

The strop is in hand. Just rubbing it with my palm and the leather is incredibly supple to the touch. The flax is Uber soft. The quality is what you would expect from Tony Miller.
More to come as I use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The package is on its way to Slash.

@Ky K - got it used it loved it shipped it.
on its way to @Slash McCoy
@FredGeorge

Tony Miller Latigo Strop

This is my first experience with one of Tony Miller’s strops and it’s everything you would expect it to be.

He says it’s only a test piece but I’d buy it and be in love. It’s beautiful.

The secondary piece on this is the finest I’ve ever used. Just incredible feeling on the draw. I have 3 other cloth components, 2 flax and none feel like this. This is silky.

The leather is both supple and firm tempered. It’s finished beautifully of course. The hardware is clean[emoji108] The entire thing is a little show piece.

For me it had a very quick light snappy smooth draw. I personally really like it. It is very thin compared to my horse. But really convenient and clean.
An interesting side note, for only having had barbers strops personally the shorter stropping area didn’t feel “small or crowded” compared to them.

Without keeping actual track (too many knives not enough time) I stropped 8/8 German extra hollow through Fili 13 and Wade wedge, finished on a range from Nani synth, diamond, and Jnat. The polish this put on everything was great.
The slight curve he put in the surface ensures full control and contact in your laps.
The hollow ground love this this piece.
I now need one of his strops.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Ky K, Glad you like it. The second component is my Flax Linen that I import from Europe. Really nice stuff but was hard to source.

The new Latigo is much different in feel than the Latigo I first used nearly 16 years ago. Much lighter draw and very smooth to use. Most of my strops are a little thicker than they first appear as I do bevel the back edge for neatness which makes them look thinner than keeping a square edge on the back. I try to always use 7oz or thicker but really go by feel rather than a set minimum weight.

Thanks for your feedback

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Strop arrived an hour ago. First impression is a good one. Surprisingly supple. Good attention to detail. Very well constructed. I will strop a couple razors on it tonight and in the morning whatever razor I shave with, before posting any more remarks but I think I am going to like it. Right now I have to catch up on the honeydew list.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wow this is still going?
Can I get in on it too please?

As far as I know, yeah. I'll take it upon myself to add you to the list. As of post #82 it appears that @FredGeorge gets it after me and is the bottom name on the list. So going forward, it would now appear to be:

@Slash McCoy (I got it now)
@FredGeorge (I'll probably ship to him Friday)
@life2short1971

I want to strop a couple more razors on it before posting my final thoughts.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Okay, I have now stropped I guess a dozen razors on it. It's nothing like my favorite compressed cowhide strops, which are pretty crisp and fast. This one is a bit slower than my Kanayama and a bit faster than an oily black Latigo I have. It's a good draw and it should suit most users. A very "stroppy" strop. You know that it is a specialized piece of leather when you take the first lap on it. As I said before, the hardware is great, the construction and finish are good, too. I don't use linen so someone else can rate that but it has a very cottage industry look to it, literally. You look at it and feel it and you know SOMEBODY made it, not just some corporation. I think it's a great strop. If you just got to have a fast draw, this particular model isn't it, but I bet Tony has others that will suit you just fine.

I've had the strop for about a week now, and am grateful to have had the opportunity to try it. I found recommendations for Tony Miller's products on this site; based on those I bought one, a horsehide. Both are beautifully done, first class in workmanship and hardware. I also own a buffalo strop, purchased on eBay, from Duke City. The reason that I am grateful to get to try this one, is that I am surprised and pleased at the difference in feel. I don't know that I would have ordered a latigo, but now am tempted, should they become available.
I've tried a few razors, half hollow and near wedge. My impression with all have been that the draw seems like I think velvet would feel. There's a feeling of stiction of blade to strop, but it's a pleasant resistance, not a drag. My horse and buffalo seem almost slippery in comparison. Again, I like this sensation. (It makes me curious whether Tony's roughout horsehide might be similar or even more pronounced.)
I ordered handles on my other strop, but like these D rings just fine.
Again, I really appreciate this opportunity. If it is not obvious, I'm a relative newbie, and enjoy new experiences.
I believe it is now time to send to @life2short1971?

I’ll have to pass on the strop. I’m a bit under the weather and there is no way I could say anything that hasn’t already been said Tony Millers strop.
He has always been first class all the way.
Thank you for the opportunity.

@Tony Miller
Thank you for the chance to try out the strop and your work. Getting to actually try something was a real treat and adds in informed buying. Having never tried Latigo I now have real info. Thanks again!

Top Bottom