What's new

Tony Miller Latigo Strop Pass Around

Apologies to all. While I guess I can not say things got crazy "at work" these days, work got a bit crazy this week. I only today got the stop mailed off to Doug57.

And I have received a notification from USPS Informed Delivery that it's on it's way with delivery by Tuesday. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Session 3.
Hart Steel 7/8. Quarter hollow (from back when they were making a quality razor about 10 years ago).
Again, consistently firm-ish (but not sluggish or harsh) draw. Very close to the Spanish bridle, tad slower but you have to be looking for it.

Session 4 (Final).
Brian Brown 13/16 bellied hollow. Nice draw...same as previously noted. Only (very minor) thing here was I really could not tell any significant difference here between the Latigo and Spanish bridle. None.....
So...my opinion here is that Mr. Miller's new Latigo product is "Everyman's Strop". Indeed a strop for all seasons.
Couple the easygoing feel of this leather with the well-established Tony Miller quality for which his strops are known....and you have a really nice bit of goods.
If your preferences lean toward a heavy draw as do mine (like an Illinois No. 827 or Heirloom Roughout), or a light-speed draw (Kanayama) you will probably not be as impressed with the Latigo offering here.
But...I can say this strop is quite capable of handling the task for which it was designed.
Good job Tony👍🏼.

Strop shall be heading to the West Coast Monday.................

So not anywhere near as light a draw as the Notovan. Good to know and thanks for the review

Signature confirmation is a must in pass arounds. I am a member to a big swimbait forum and that has cured any lost swimbaits.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
No worries guys. I started a new one today as a replacement. This will be a 3" "Plain" grade strop, one small cosmetic scratch and basic hardware as this is really just a tester strop so guys can get a feel for different leathers. I happened to have a piece of Genuine Flax Linen with a little wave I added as well so you get to try two new materials out. I will be able to mail this out early next week so the Pass Around can continue.

Just a note that these pass around strops were just made to test the materials, prototypes if you will and are not representative of my Artisan grade strops with heavier leather caps, more detail work and with nearly perfect surface quality (well, as close as a natural material can get).

I wanted to commend the guys on this group for being such stand up guys. Both the sender and the recipient have offered to pay for the missing/stolen strop which of course I declined. It is not their fault, things happen, but it speaks volumes to the type of guys these are. Thank you Doug and than you Alan for you offers, it was appreciated.

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Replacement will be on its way tomorrow and will hopefully get around to everyone still wanting a try with it. This one is a 3" Latigo with a piece of Genuine Flax Linen.

I've had a few days to try out the latigo strop.

First, the linen was a joy to use, smooth with a pleasant draw and lightly audible feedback. The weave is different than most vintage linen components, with the warp running very long and shallow diagonals and meeting in the middle very similar to fingerwoven sashes although it is machine woven. Vintage linens were mostly tubular woven, with straight warps and occasionally tubular woven on a diagonal. They were almost always coated in a sizing or compounds creating a stiff belt of cloth. I really like the un-sized and more flexible linen component.

The latigo leather had a creamy draw and was nicely finished for a plain strop, the edges of all the leather pieces show beveling and slickering. Strops without edge treatment is a big pet peeve of mine.

The hardware is heavy duty, solid and supported the strop well.

My only criticism is a slight crown, high in the middle, lengthwise, that necessitated an x stroke or a slacker strop than I prefer for the entire length of the blade to contact the leather. This is partly due to the 3 inch width. My personal preference is a 2 ¼ or 2 ½ inch width.

@Tony Miller Thank you for the opportunity to try this out, and I'm quite happy it worked out that the linen component came to me. Very good to see the workmanship going into the “plain” strop.

@Suhrim21
@HVenture138
@Jsanchez
@GreazyThumbs
@MilkCrate
@Ky K
@temjeito

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Glad you enjoyed it and got to try the real linen.

A note on the high center. For the most part I make all of my strops this way. I have found it is nearly impossible to have a flat strop stay flat over time and even slight changes in humidity have them cupping. I find the high center either flattens under many peoples stropping pressure or the natural "wobble" in most people's x-stroke still covers the entire edge at some point along each pass but may take extra passes to get the same effect. To me a high center is workable, high edges are not and then need work to try and flatten and seem to only stay that way for a while.

A truely flat strop would be ideal if one could get them to stay that way forever.

I apologize for not getting back to you. Can I be moved to the end of the list. Right now I'm trying to deal with my med issues and there is a good chance I could be unable to use or mail off the strop for a bit.

Top Bottom