What's new

Tony Miller Latigo Strop Pass Around

When it comes to USPS, "Today" up here in East Pig Knuckle is always just a guess....

A47D489F-D7C4-43CC-886D-9F0D60B95C14.png

C59A0459-20D6-42E2-84D5-28FBEDD16A5C.jpeg

All righty. First session.
Immediate initial impression. This strop is VERY much like Tony’s Spanish Bridle which is an exceptional piece of leather. It’s a tad more firm but just very little. It does not have a lightning quick draw. For me, that’s fine.
One thing is that this grade of leather will offer the novice a goodly amount of “control” while stropping and hopefully prevent an errant razor edge from buggering it up.
The fine weave cotton component is the best of its kind. Linen? Nah this is a superior specimen.
The razor used today was a Rasoir Sabre “Campiono”. Very thin, very hollow.
Future sessions will include a Koraat half hollow, Brian Brown bellied hollow, Zowada and Hart Steel quarter hollows. And maybe a Ralf Aust just to round things out.
More to follow.

2nd session. Razor was a Koraat 7/8 half hollow. Same nice deliberate draw. Only difference was when stropping the Koraat alternately between the Latigo and Spanish bridle, the Latigo seemed just ever so slightly faster. Not enough so it would be noticed during routine use, but I’m concentrating while going back and forth with this pair. The subtle opposite of how both felt when using the Rasoir Sabre. Maybe the half hollow grind has something to do with it? Gonna run a quarter hollow on it next.

Session 3.
Hart Steel 7/8. Quarter hollow (from back when they were making a quality razor about 10 years ago).
Again, consistently firm-ish (but not sluggish or harsh) draw. Very close to the Spanish bridle, tad slower but you have to be looking for it.

Session 4 (Final).
Brian Brown 13/16 bellied hollow. Nice draw...same as previously noted. Only (very minor) thing here was I really could not tell any significant difference here between the Latigo and Spanish bridle. None.....
So...my opinion here is that Mr. Miller's new Latigo product is "Everyman's Strop". Indeed a strop for all seasons.
Couple the easygoing feel of this leather with the well-established Tony Miller quality for which his strops are known....and you have a really nice bit of goods.
If your preferences lean toward a heavy draw as do mine (like an Illinois No. 827 or Heirloom Roughout), or a light-speed draw (Kanayama) you will probably not be as impressed with the Latigo offering here.
But...I can say this strop is quite capable of handling the task for which it was designed.
Good job Tony👍🏼.

Strop shall be heading to the West Coast Monday.................

Update from USPS ... The strop left LA today. Since San Diego is only 2 hours south, maybe tomorrow? Maybe Friday? Maybe... ? Fingers crossed ...

Well ... The strop arrived yesterday and I was able to use it for my night-before stropping for today's and yesterday's razors.

General impressions:
  • First off it's not a full 3" strop! Didn't realize that, and to use it I need to concentrate on my X strokes.
  • Secondly, the hide thickness is thinner than both my TM Steerdovan and my WCS Latigo. That makes it more "supple" in use. Not a bad thing, just different from my other strops.
First use impressions:
  • This is a faster and smoother draw than my other strops. No "magnetic" feeling as far as I'm concerned.
  • The linen is smoother than the cotton secondary on my Steerdovan. Much less audible feedback.
  • All that said, it seems to get the job done in fine form.
This weekend is my usual weekly maintenance which means I'll be stropping at least 6 razors of varying steels, grinds, and designs. Should be a good test.

I was able to strop 7 different razors on the TM Latigo this weekend. Razors included antique wedges to vintage full hollows. Sheffield, Solingen, American, and Swedish steel.

First impressions above were reinforced by use on multiple razors in a single mega-stropping session. The strop has a very supple, buttery feel to it, both when handling it and in use. It aligns the edge as well as any other stop I've used (all razors popped hair at 1/2" plus and matched their treetopping ability from other strops). And the two edges I've shaved with have been smooth and keen. It is thus a fully functional stop and will do exactly what it is supposed to do. As usual, Tony's fit and finish are superb. This is a high quality strop, on par with everything Tony makes.

Bottom line: Excellent strop and nobody would make a "mistake" buying it.

So then it all comes down to personal preferences. Through using this strop I have found that I, personally prefer:
  • A wider strop (To avoid having to do X strokes. The narrower D-Rings on the 2 1/2" strop also required me to adjust my usual grip on the bottom of the strop.)
  • A cotton secondary rather than Flax Linen (I believe the primary use of the secondary is to dry and clean the edge before using the leather. Cotton does just fine for that. If you subscribe to the micro-abrasive theory, you may prefer the linen based on theory.)
  • A thicker hide (To provide a more stable stropping plane along the entire length of the strop. (I found that the strop would "twist" between the D-Ring and the hook, and so required more vigilance in the razor position relative to the strop.)
  • A slightly heavier or more "magnetic" draw
So there you have it. My impressions, FWIW. I'll make preparations to pass it along to the next person on the list, Doug57.

After trying to compile the individual comment in this thread, the current list is:
Acmemfg - Completed
RumpleBearskin - Completed

@Doug57
@joamo
@Suhrim21
@HVenture138
@Jsanchez
@GreazyThumbs
@MilkCrate
@Ky K

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Just some details on the Pass Around strop. It is a 2 1/2" strop not a 3" but if it goes to production there will be a 3" too as on all my models. The secondary component is cotton, not linen. The 2 1/2" cotton used is a firm, fine weave cotton, the 3" is a softer, medium weave cotton (the same mill does not weave both widths, hence different weaves). Flax linen is brown and feel completely different.

This is thinner, 6 to 7 oz. leather and supple. It can be made in 9 to 10 oz. but that is quite stiff and will not conform to a smiling edge razor. It is thicker than the Notovan, thinner than my others.

The earlier Dee Rings flared out a bit wider to 2 1/4" but the manufacturer changed the design so all are now at 2 1/16" for both 2 1/2" and 3" strops making the grip just a tad tighter feeling. (constant battle with slight manufacturer changes)

I have Tony's linen component, and both his medium and fine weave versions. The fine weave is (in my opinion) the finest cloth component I have used on any strop. Yes...I think it’s that good.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well, I got plenty of strops here at Chez McCoy. However, I have often recommended Tony's strops, but by appearance and reputation, without being able to authoritatively vouch for them on the basis of actual experience. So,

I'M IN.

Please put me on the list. I would be delighted to give it a go.

Apologies to all. While I guess I can not say things got crazy "at work" these days, work got a bit crazy this week. I only today got the stop mailed off to Doug57.

Top Bottom