What's new

Tony Miller Latigo Strop Pass Around

Good Day Gents,

Tony Miller the Owner and Operator of Heirloom Razor Stop Co. contacted me to ask if I would test a strop he’s working on and I have been using it for about a week and now it’s time to pass it on so in the spirit of sharing I am offering up this strop free for a pass around, I would ask that you use it for say a week to ten days then offer to someone else.

This pass around is for CONUS only so sorry for those that live across the pond but shipping would be really high and take a long while to get to you during these crazy times so with that said let’s start a list for the pass around and the first person that responds and PM’s me with there name and address i will get off to local post by weeks end

Here is the strop

C0B93997-9362-44F5-BC86-FA3CA8B79BD5.jpeg
5A73105A-FE10-4CEE-9B12-C0A8C7346128.jpeg
71805343-3B35-4C81-B631-38638AB8DF12.jpeg

Will:
I will decline to be on the list as I have a T/M Heirloom Horsehide & Flax linen on the way tomorrow, to go w/ a T/M Notovan & F/L already in use.
For you out there that have always wondered about Tony's strops get on the list, his work is VERY good and his strops are a great value IMHO.

I have one on my list but for right now i 'am using an old cheap one until i learn to give my strop less nicks then i give myself for now. Maybe it's just the razor? Nah it's me just getting in hurry same as shaving. I have to remind myself to slow down with all this SR stuff, sure helps

That's something new he's working on? I've got a Latigo with canvas from him from 15 or so years ago. Didn't like Latigo then.. Have to try it after all this time to see if it's dried out. I don't expect I'll like it any better...

That's something new he's working on? I've got a Latigo with canvas from him from 15 or so years ago. Didn't like Latigo then.. Have to try it after all this time to see if it's dried out. I don't expect I'll like it any better...

I have used everything from Cordovan, to newspaper and this is not like typical latigo that has a heavy draw so don’t compare it to the heavier latigo oil tanned strops of the past, this particular strop that i tested and sent out has a almost velvet creamy draw with a very slight suction as in magnetic and I have used about 10 different blades going from 1/4 hollow to full hollow and from 5/8” to 8/8”..... I even honed a few edges and then did my normal 50/50 passes on it and the edge gets polished very nicely and the shave was excellent.

Strop length, witdth, draw and hardware are all personal choices we have to make and we can’t make that decision without trying different materials and I have tried pretty much everything and this particular strop appeals to me as it has a lighter faster and smoother draw than say the oil tanned HH from Scrupleworks so for those out there how is the time to test something you may or may not like for just the cost of shipping and in the end as I suggested maybe we can have a random givaway to those that have tested it.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…

Many people loved the heavy draw of those early Latigo strops (and a few did not like the draw) but this is a completely different feel. As time went on many tanneries went to a heavily waxed, nearly sticky latigo and I stopped using it completely as it no longer felt like what most enjoyed 10 to 15 years ago. Jumpo to today and I found this nice, smooth light draw Latigo.

This is smooth, light and has a sort of creamy feel to it. Been using it for caps and handles since spring and was impressed with the feel and quality of these USA hides I wanted to see how they did as complete strops.

Jnatcat is my usual tester (and occasionally Tim Zowada) as he has owned a large variety of strops and I can count on honest feedback good or bad from him.

Tony

Last edited:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Edited: Mods have given to go ahead for the Pass Around and Giveaway, kudos to them.

Once this has made the rounds to everyone interested in trying it out I will throw all the names in a virtual hat and draw a winner and arrange to cover postage to get it to whomever wins.

Thanks to Jnatcat for testing this one and initiating the Pass Around.

Last edited:
I would love to be in the pass around. I cant be part of the giveaway at the end since I won the last one it wouldnt be fair to be in the running for the giveaway this time. But this one definitely speaks my interest. I've had two "Latigo" strops and both were completely different so I would love to see how this companies to the blades grim/BOG latigo (they are exactly the same except for their logo stamp on the strop) and I had the Parker latigo strop.

But really no one needs a reason to want to try a new Tony Miller strop.

I would like to be added to the list. Sent a PM.

I would love to try out a Latigo strop and see how it compares to Tony's other strops, specifically his Notovan and Spanish Bridle strops.

Top Bottom