What's new

Tonight's shave with my 1996 razor - Sensor

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
So have been helping my folks out a lot lately and when at their house I ran accross a razor of mine. I think this was from about 1996. The blade shown is what was in it. I'm going to use it shortly. I think this is the Sensor handle people lust after.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 54
So have been helping my folks out a lot lately and when at their house I ran accross a razor of mine. I think this was from about 1996. The blade shown is what was in it. I'm going to use it shortly. I think this is the Sensor handle people lust after.
From what I can see it looks like my sensor excel that I keep in the drawer as a reminder. Can you even still get blades?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The handle just says Sensor. But yes, pretty sure the head is Sensor Excel and yes, still widely available - a little more than $1 per cart most places. I wonder how many shaves I had on this one prior. Some for sure if you look at the lube strip. It cut like shave one tonight

Easy peasy DFS. You can forget your beard has grain. Direction makes no difference. Go ATG to get as close as possible, but barely feels any different than a WTG stroke. My upper lip which is difficult to ATG with many DE razors was easy with this. Also it's so slim and trim. Gillette could have stopped right here. Of course if they had many that complain about 3,4,5,etc blades would have never left.

A nice cart for sure, not as close as I have become accustomed too.

The handle just says Sensor. But yes, pretty sure the head is Sensor Excel and yes, still widely available - a little more than $1 per cart most places. I wonder how many shaves I had on this one prior. Some for sure if you look at the lube strip. It cut like shave one tonight

Easy peasy DFS. You can forget your beard has grain. Direction makes no difference. Go ATG to get as close as possible, but barely feels any different than a WTG stroke. My upper lip which is difficult to ATG with many DE razors was easy with this. Also it's so slim and trim. Gillette could have stopped right here. Of course if they had many that complain about 3,4,5,etc blades would have never left.

A nice cart for sure, not as close as I have become accustomed too.
I put 300+ shaves on one of those cartridges. I dried it and stropped it after every shave. I was trying to prove or disprove a theory that storing your razor wet was what dulled the blades. As best I could tell, that theory is correct. I think I had a track II before the excel, but that’s too far back for my fuzzy old brain.

Some fella on the bay is Welly one for $39.99....just the handle

I've gotten one in my cave. I buy the sensor disposal razors and remove the heads to use on my original handle. Works fine. Also over here in the UK while the original sensor handle is no longer available, supermax do their own version in either, 3, 4 or 5 blade carts. I keep a 3 cart pack in the den just in case.

Good to see an original in the wild as well.

I have the Taconic, mine fits the carts well and works fine, it is longer and heavier than the original but I like and use it. Taconic makes other Gillette cart compatible handles

The Sensor is far and away my favorite razor for daily use. It was my first non disposable razor when i was a teenager and after re-discovering it last year I have since bought maybe a dozen of the metal handles and a couple thousand cartridges.
The reason why i bought so many handles is that the only weak point in the design are the plastic tabs that hold the cartridge. One fell apart on me after only 6 months of daily use.

The Sensor is far and away my favorite razor for daily use. It was my first non disposable razor when i was a teenager and after re-discovering it last year I have since bought maybe a dozen of the metal handles and a couple thousand cartridges.
The reason why i bought so many handles is that the only weak point in the design are the plastic tabs that hold the cartridge. One fell apart on me after only 6 months of daily use.
Couple thousand that's awesome I've also picked up quite a few Sensor, Sensor Excel, Mach3, & SkinGuard carts

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
India/China have a handle that takes both Sensor and Sensor Excel carts I believe they call it the Gillette Vector 3
I am glad you posted! I bought one of these months ago, but haven't tried it. I dropped my original and have lots of Sensor carts. My wife thought I was nuts because I really only use DE most of the time. But the Sensor can't be beat for a fast close enough shave.

FYI have the Vector, which also goes by another name, it is all plastic and very light, though bigger than the original Sensor handle. Have looked for a while for a good all metal Sensor aftermarket handle and Taconic is the best I have found so far, if anyone has any ideas would really like to try something else.

Appreciate the suggestion.
Got a Personna handle, not sure if is the one you saw? it did not fit the Gillette Sensor carts well, the carts had difficulty pivoting.

Top Bottom