What's new

tonic without high fructose corn syrup?

Mention has been made in these pages of the superiority of Mexican Coca-Cola over the U.S. stuff owing to the cane sugar the Mexicans use instead of high fructose corn syrup the U.S. uses.

I try to avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup and was disappointed to see that Canada Dry and Schweppes tonic water are sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.

Do the Mexicans make a tonic with cane sugar? If not, does anyone else?

Never found a tonic with real sugar, but I've had some Diet Tonic Waters and I can't tolerate any of those. And just of the record I don't mind any diet soda.

This stuff seems to fit the bill. Sweetened with agave. Kind of expensive, but I bet it tastes better than Schweppes.

Edited to add: Google results indicate that the house brand of Whole Foods tonic water (365 Organic) is made with cane sugar.

Last edited:
Check out Hansen's soda (www.hansens.com). In my fridge I have some of their ginger ale, which is sweetened with cane sugar. They make other flavors as well, but I don't know if they make tonic water.

Mike

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I prefer drinks sweetened with sugar as opposed to corn syrup, but then again, I've never done a blind taste test to prove that. Sounds like I have a project. :smile:

I have tried the Coke with cane sugar, and at first taste I think it did taste better. But I was curious about the concern over corn syrup. Is it only a flavor thing or is there some other concern?

I have tried the Coke with cane sugar, and at first taste I think it did taste better. But I was curious about the concern over corn syrup. Is it only a flavor thing or is there some other concern?

For me personally, it's flavor only. I can't speak for the OP.

First for me is the taste. I just think that pure cane sugar tastes better.

For the concerns regarding HFCS were first stirred by the fact that people perceived it as a "hidden" sugar. I think we all know that excessive sugar in your diet is not a good thing. As far as one being worse than the other, I don't know. I think that they are both basically the same thing fructose and glucose. IMO it is at least similar to choosing between butter and margarine. I don't need to eat a whole lot of either one, but butter is better :biggrin:

One concern I have is the potential for corn to be genetically modified. I am not aware of any such manipulation of sugar cane.

What's wrong with corn syrup? It's just a sugar that happens to come from corn.

Not quite. It is fructose, whereas regular sugar is sucrose. The main health concern is that your body is not going to convert the sucrose into fructose. Said bypass doesn't make you feel full, or that you had something sugary. This leads you to consume more of it.
check details on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hfcs

What's wrong with corn syrup? It's just a sugar that happens to come from corn.

And this high fructose corn syrup is an involved process to make. Regular corn syrup just makes things moist/sticky/gooey and is not evil.

That is the highlight as I understand it. Bottom line is that I just will not eat HFCS. It is a cheap-*** trick from manufacturers to make things sweet on the cheap. The fact that they make commercials saying "trust us, there is nothing wrong" says to me: it's WRONG :) I can just hope it will be avoided by the large crowd and force manufacturers to change, just like the trans fats.

And this high fructose corn syrup is an involved process to make. Regular corn syrup just makes things moist/sticky/gooey and is not evil.

That is the highlight as I understand it. Bottom line is that I just will not eat HFCS. It is a cheap-*** trick from manufacturers to make things sweet on the cheap. The fact that they make commercials saying "trust us, there is nothing wrong" says to me: it's WRONG :) I can just hope it will be avoided by the large crowd and force manufacturers to change, just like the trans fats.

I don't mean this is snide comment in any way, but how do you avoid high fructose corn syrup? It's in everything!*

*Not that I'm saying that's a good thing.

True, it is very hard, especially here in the US. I don't drink sodas anymore (rarely) that cuts out a big chunk. And there is not really an alternative in the soda department.. Juices or fine teas are a lot nicer anyway :)
But, if you are aware and check labels in the supermarket, you will be able to find alternatives without HFCS. Which are usually the more expensive better tasting kinds (ice cream, fruit jam etc)

Last edited:
I buy La Yogurt because it is the cheapest yogurt without HFCS that I can find at BJs (without almost doubling the cost and buying stoneyfield). If not eliminate, I try to at least reduce my intake.

If you have a Whole Foods near you, their 365 brand tonic is made with cane sugar and is significantly more affordable than Stirrings, Fever Tree, and Q Tonic.

Thanks for the tip about Whole Foods tonic. That should do it. A summer of gin and tonics lbeckons.

As for HFCS, there's still a lot of research going on. But apparently the body does not metabolize HFCS the same way as it does table sugar. Just Google "dangers of high fructose corn syrup" and see what you get.

Certainly the U.S. has an obesity problem. Check out the crowds in any European airport, then watch the human traffic in, say, O'Hare airport in Chicago, and check out the fat parade. Same basic gene pool, different nutritional styles.

When you taste a soda what has sugar vs. Corn syrup in it, it's rather startling.

I learned this in Mexico and the ocasional times I get thirsty for a soft drink, I buy the Mexican sodas.

Like nitrogen in my car tires, I soon became a believer quickly.

I would say that 99% of soft drinks are sweeten with cane sugar here in Australia. I have heard that manufacturers are only using it instead of cane sugar in America because it is cheaper.

I would say that 99% of soft drinks are sweeten with cane sugar here in Australia. I have heard that manufacturers are only using it instead of cane sugar in America because it is cheaper.

It's primarily a US thing you are right. It has to do with sugar prices and corn subsidies here. It's ridiculous IMO. :rolleyes:

We have a family friend, her son is severely allergic to corn. When I first heard that, I didn't think it was too bad. Avoiding corn, that's not too hard and then I remembered corn syrup. This poor kid can't eat anything processed. It's unbelievable. Poor guy. :frown:

Top Bottom