What's new

Tonic/Hydrosol recommendation?

Hi guys,

I'm a huge fan of the CAR aromatic spray tonics ... but I'm looking for a hydrosol/tonic scented in Rose (which CAR does not have).

So, who's got the best Rose hydrosol/tonic out there? I love the smell of Rose and would love to add it into my after shaving routine as a refresher.

Any recommendations?

Charles has a nice Rose hydrosol at QED that I like. Depending on what cream/soap I'm using, I either spritz it or his DiVinci water.

Jerry

DoubleE said:
Charles has a nice Rose hydrosol at QED that I like. Depending on what cream/soap I'm using, I either spritz it or his DiVinci water.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I just checked out Em's Place and it looks like she sells a Rose hydrosol as well ....

Does the QED stuff smell pretty close to a "true" rose scent?

Pretty close. I think Charles uses pure essential oils in his hydrosols so it should be close to what you're looking for. It seems I did hear good things about Emily's as well from someone. Maybe they'll chime in.

Jerry

Em makes great stuff, I have a collection of her hydrosols.

Jerry, I don't think Charles adds anything to his hydrosols; a hydrosol is the byproduct from steam distillation of a plant to produce essential oils. If someone is adding back the EO to the hydrosol, they generally indicate as such (like Em's "hydrosol plus"). In any case, they smell great, so who cares?

EmsPlace has a wonderful product called Rose Hydrosol +. It's a belnd of Rose Hydro, Rose absolute, and ome light facial oils. It's fantastic. For straight Rose Hydrosol try http://www.naprodis.com. They have a very consistent (fragrance varies typically in hydrosol) Bulgarian Rose (Rose Damascena) hydrosol.

Chris

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I haven't tried the Em's yet, but the cognoscenti seem to rate her products very highly, as well as QED's version.

I'll take a different approach and recommend Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel with Aloe. I know- not a true hydrosol, but it smells good and feels great going on. Puts out my fires in a hurry. Twelve oz. for around 8 semolians is a bargain, too boot. Since I discovered it, the Dickinson's goes on the BOTO's gams.

Mountain Rose makes real steam distilled Hydrosols, not just a byproduct like some manufacturers. But, anyway they have many "flavors" including two Rose scents.

I have tried a couple of their Hydrosols, in fact my wife is enjoying one of them now. Haven't tried the Rose yet though that's the next one SWMBO wants.
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

Cliff

Mountain Rose makes real steam distilled Hydrosols, not just a byproduct like some manufacturers. But, anyway they have many "flavors" including two Rose scents.

I have tried a couple of their Hydrosols, in fact my wife is enjoying one of them now. Haven't tried the Rose yet though that's the next one SWMBO wants.
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

Cliff

Cliff I checked the MRH link you so kindly provided. Egads, found they even sell GALLONS of the stuff. This got me started on a GOOGLE tangent for Hydrosol & found several places that sell by the pint, quart, 1/2 gallon & gallon.

Surfing those sites found some interesting things:
1) A lady I took a Herb Course from like 35 years ago in SF,CA apparently
came up with the appellation "hydrosol". Her name is Jeanne Rose. Geez, even 35 years ago she was a fount of knowledge about most things herbal.
Guess she got pretty famous in the crowd over the years. LOL...she was a danged good teacher too.

2) Several sites mentioned that the shelf life of "pure" hydrosol stored 'chilled' in glass container was generally about 2 years. That time was subject to degradation depending on how the "hydrosol" had been handled through it's production, subject to contaminants, etc.

Since hydrosol is basically water it was mentioned that after 2 yrs or less the
product can be a real bacterial/microbial growth factory. Just like regular water. It was recommended that hydrosols for "commercial" purveyance be treated with teensy weensy minute-minute amounts of anti-microbials/germicides for longer "shelf" live.

So that got me to wondering if our hydrosol vendors are selling 100% pure hydrosol or 99.999% pure + harmless perservative?

The only vendor I've bought hydrosol from (a highly respected person)labeled it "Ingredients: natural organic (flavor) hydrosol". No mention of additives, so am wondering if I should use this up PDQ ?!?!?

The other thing that struck me on my search-quest was wildly differing prices. For example take a GALLON of product from several vendors:

LAVENDER HYDROSOL GALLON $102.00 @ Mt Rose Herbs
LAVENDER (Bulgaria) GALLON $59.00 @ From Nature With Love
LAVENDER HYDROSOL GALLON $35.00 @ Organic Creations
LAVENDER HYDROSOL GALLON $180.00 @ Organic-Hydrosols.com

so on the Lavender we have differences of up to $145 a gallon !!!

ROSE HYDROSOL GALLON $105.00 @ Mt Rose Herbs
BULGARIAN ROSE GALLON $120.00 @ From Nature With Love
ROSE HYDROSOL GALLON $37.00 @ Organic Creations
ROSE HYDROSOL GALLON $216.00 @ Organic-Hydrosols.com

so on Lavender we have differences of up to $179 a gallon !!!

Am wondering how this can be? Guess, hydrosol isn't necessarily hydrosol !!!
I think that I read that the Bulgarian products are more expensive but the
non-Bulgo's vary wildly also.

So am hoping that someone knowlegdable (prehaps one of our Fab Soap Makers) may shed some light on my 2 questions.

1) If I buy a quart or a 1/2 gallon of "non-treated" hydrosol should I mix a little anti-microbial agent in there? What would the "mildest" yet effective anti-microbal be?

2) What's up with these crazy prices. Cheapest sure isn't always the one to
buy. Any feedback on the hydrosol vendors mentioned above.

I really wanna buy a couple jugs of Rose, Lavender & Witch Hazel to keep around. Heck, I bet most of us Wet-Shavers could go thru a 1/2 gallon of Witch a year easy !!! Buying a 1/2 gal or gal looks like huge savings over drugstore or e'tailer prices...BUT I don't wanna get sick from bacteria.

Really would like feedback about the above vendors. They all have nice, professional looking website but it's hard to swallow why one would charge
$35 for the Lavender and another $180 !!

Top Bottom