What's new

Tom's Peppermint

Mornin' Gents.

I started to use my newly acquired Tom's Peppermint this AM but could not get an adequate later from it. I'd appreciate any tips from users who get a good later.

I put about a pea-and-a-half size bit into to my warm shave mug (actually just a big blue coffee mug but it works!). I then started whipping it with my brush (Vulfix 2234). A lather appeared but it was a weak one so I added a few drops of water, but that still didn't help. I gave up, dabbed in some NB and watched it explode into a wonder lather.

Thanks,
Aaron

collinarose said:
Try using more of the Tom's.
Ditto. I usually go with an almond size dollop and have more lather than I can shake a stick at.

Also, if the Tom's is very thick in consistency (it can dry out a little bit over time) then you might try using your finger to mix a few drops of water into it before lathering.

Gracias.

I appreciate the experienced input. Why use trial and error when there is so much experience here?

I have a similar Vulfix and find that it generally takes more effort than my Saville Row or Simpsons (both of which have smaller, but denser knots) to whip up a lather - regardless of what type of cream or soap I'm using.

Ditto. I think that the 2234 is a nice brush but I'm just not getting great amounts of lather. I also notice that my lather is drying out quickly. I'm researching shavemacs and the saville row myself.

Any input would great....

Tito

Tito:

I have the SR travel brush and its great, my Simpsons Rover (bought it in a store while in Europe - never heard of it before) has a smaller not than the Vulfix (both in terms of diameter and height) and is miles better than the bigger Vulfix (my preference is for a smaller not 20 - 22 mm) for both soaps and creams.

If you're on a budget, the SR pure badger line is great value - as is the super badger - its just a matter of preference and wallet size.

If I had started off with the a SR pure badger as my daily brush, I would never have bought the Simpson (which cost about $70).

Just my two cents.

I find that I need to use a bit more product with the Toms shave cream than most others. Once I get enough cream in my bowl, the lather starts erupting.

Don't be stingy wit da cream, mon!

When I first started I had a problem getting Proraso cream to lather properly. My mistake was babying my new badger brush too much which I was swirling around the bowl until I got a carpal tunnel syndrome.:mad:

Try pumping the brush several times, swirl it around the bowl and then push the brush down and swirl some more. You have to be a bit more aggressive.

I think it is a fallacy that using more cream means a better shave, too much simply clogs up the razor and the shave will be rough. The size of 1 penny piece is more that enough.

I made a practice run last night using more product and got a fine lather... still not as thick and nice as most of my other creams, but still better than previously.

Aaron

I agree with finegelernt that you don't need a lot of product to make a good lather, but ada's initial post suggested that he might be using a *very* small amount of cream, and the easiest way to see if this was the problem was to try a bit more product.

Sorry if I confused the issue.:rolleyes:

I guess I finally found a cream I don't care for. I used Tom's mint cream and I found it characterless. It lathers well, but its lubricating characterisitcs are, IMHO, rather poor. The shave was unmemorable and the feel on my face totally forgettable. The cream smells like a chewed piece of Wrigley's gum: it has no cooling effect whatsoever. I love minty creams, but will pass on this one from now on. Verdict:
1. price - OK
2. Scent: my least favorite mint
3. Lubrication: Fair
4. Overall effect: forgettable
Tomorrow I will try their Calendula cream: the scent seems much more interesting. We'll see!

Tito said:
Ditto. I think that the 2234 is a nice brush but I'm just not getting great amounts of lather. I also notice that my lather is drying out quickly. I'm researching shavemacs and the saville row myself.

Any input would great....

Tito

Tito,

It may be a water quality issue. I use the Vulfix #2234 and always get great lather with it, whether using a soap or a cream. It is a bit floppy, but still a great brush.

Randy

Top Bottom