What's new

Tom's of Maine - "Refreshing Mint" Conditioning Shave Cream

Kyle said:
Bob,

Be sure to let us know what you think once you've had a chance to use it.
Very nice stuff and I love the natural peppermint smell. I put a dallop in my shaving mug on top of the Williams loaded my brush with hot water and whipped up a mug full of rich aromatic lather. Also test out my new HD which I also liked alot (different then a Gillette adjustable) and finish off with some Thayer Rose Pedal Witch Hazel also very good stuff. Guess I'll relagate the Dickinson's to cleaning the paint brushes. Lol. Bob.:w00t:

cooncatbob said:
Very nice stuff and I love the natural peppermint smell. I put a dallop in my shaving mug on top of the Williams loaded my brush with hot water and whipped up a mug full of rich aromatic lather. Also test out my new HD which I also liked alot (different then a Gillette adjustable) and finish off with some Thayer Rose Pedal Witch Hazel also very good stuff. Guess I'll relagate the Dickinson's to cleaning the paint brushes. Lol. Bob.:w00t:

I relagated mine to the trash bin. That Dickinson's stuff is putrid.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
I relagated mine to the trash bin. That Dickinson's stuff is putrid.

Randy

Not to be overly crude, but the smell of Dickinson's reminds me of cat pee.

I'm going to be a bit respectfully contrarian here.

I tried the Tom's. I can't say that I'm crazy about it. My criticisms:

(1) To me it looks and smells too much like toothpaste. I had to warn my wife not to accidentally load up here toothbrush with it.

(2) The lubrication is okay on the first stoke but seems to leave very little behind--it dries quickly so its a bit of a rush to shave or forces adding water along the way (which dilutes it quickly) or relatering even before I was done with the first pass.

(3) My gut impression is that it seems to dry out my skin and tighten it. It absolutely demands a moisturizing post shave balm.

It's not terrible--although it is pretty close if you try it without the brush as directed on the package. I will keep it for strange moods but when I run out (and since I won't use it often that'll be awhile) I won't purchase another tube.

Now, I hope not to offend because many of the people who have taught me so much have been very pleased with this product--but did want to express my opposite opinion of the potion.

Marc

MJB said:
Now, I hope not to offend because many of the people who have taught me so much have been very pleased with this product--but did want to express my opposite opinion of the potion.

Marc

No problem. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Thanks for sharing yours. :smile:

I for one, will never take offense to a gent's opposing opinions when they are well thought out and clearly stated (as your's are). True evaluation of an individual's experiences, good or bad, are of very high value to everyone who reads them.

Poorly thought out, snap judgments can, however, be very offensive and serve no purpose of value. When a person makes a simple statement (like, this product is bad) and they don't elaborate on what part of the experience was unsatisfactory or when they continue to beat the perverbial dead horse and restate their disagreement/dissatisfaction a multitude of times then they become nothing more than a town crier for their own ignorance.

The quality of your input (Marc and many others here) is what makes this site such a great place.

MJB said:
I'm going to be a bit respectfully contrarian here.

I tried the Tom's. I can't say that I'm crazy about it. My criticisms:

(1) To me it looks and smells too much like toothpaste. I had to warn my wife not to accidentally load up here toothbrush with it.

(2) The lubrication is okay on the first stoke but seems to leave very little behind--it dries quickly so its a bit of a rush to shave or forces adding water along the way (which dilutes it quickly) or relatering even before I was done with the first pass.

(3) My gut impression is that it seems to dry out my skin and tighten it. It absolutely demands a moisturizing post shave balm.

It's not terrible--although it is pretty close if you try it without the brush as directed on the package. I will keep it for strange moods but when I run out (and since I won't use it often that'll be awhile) I won't purchase another tube.

Marc

Marc,

I'm not saying you will ever learn to love this shaving cream. I have only tried it once, and I was underwhelmed. But I will try it again. If you have only used it once or twice, re-read item #2. It sounds like your water/cream ratio is not quite dialed in.

And as far as your opinion, bring it on. That is why we are here. To share information and discuss things. Never be afraid to speak up, even if your voice is a dissenting one. And ignore that Black Dodge Caravan that is now parked down the street from you. It means nothing! :cool:

Randy

I have only used this product twice, and both time I put it in my mug and whipped it up with the brush loaded with hot water so I can't comment on using it as per the directions. But there another shaving cream called Headslick put out by the same company that makes the Headblade (headshaving razor) alot of the guys on the headshaving forum love this stuff but I always found that in clogged my cartridge razor. Then someone on the board posted that they squirted some in their shaving mug on top of the soap and whipped up a mug of very nice lather. I tried it and have been using that method for the last several months. I say if you don't like it out of the tube beat it with a Badger brush. LOL. Bob. :tongue_sm

I tried the Tom's mint this weekend and I have a question: is the consistency supposed to be like toothpaste or harder? When I squirted my dab out onto the brush, it came out waxy and hard, not soft like toothpaste. When I lathered it, the bit I used was not even gone, as a bit was still in the bottom of my mug. Maybe I got a dehydrated tube??? :confused: :eek: :bored: :mellow:

What to do? Is this the right consistency or should I request a new tube?

Thanks!

RWelch76 said:
I tried the Tom's mint this weekend and I have a question: is the consistency supposed to be like toothpaste or harder? When I squirted my dab out onto the brush, it came out waxy and hard, not soft like toothpaste. When I lathered it, the bit I used was not even gone, as a bit was still in the bottom of my mug. Maybe I got a dehydrated tube??? :confused: :eek: :bored: :mellow:

Thanks!
Maybe it's seperated, try kneeding the tube.
Mine right out of the tube is very soft and slippery. It's also a little grainy with small white particles in a oil? Your's doesn't sound right.:eek:

RWelch76 said:

Thanks!
Deja vu all over again? Get with Marc (MJB) and commiserate. I believe you had a similar experience... Sounds like there is a bunch of old stock out there and the two of you lucked into some of it. Of course this is just my opinion based on both of your observations.
One issue is that ToM products are all natural, etc. Perhaps the absence of preservatives and stabilizers has a price too?

RWelch76 said:

Thanks!

This actaully does seem very similar to my description. It was somethat hard to push out of the tube and maybe was old.

I actually was strangely motivated to by a different brand herbal shaving potion from the same earthy grocery store--it's called J/A/S/O/N. The o is with an umlaut (two little dots over it) so should be pronouned 'uh'.

Its not a lathering cream but a lotion. It's very, very odd. It has a really wierd smell like astringent or medicinal tea (I usually dislike teas) and somehow it brings back memories of something called green soap which my elementary school nurse used to rub onto every cut and scrape. Strangley so far I like it but two shaves does not count except for a very initial impression.

Marc

MJB said:
This actaully does seem very similar to my description. It was somethat hard to push out of the tube and maybe was old.

I actually was strangely motivated to by a different brand herbal shaving potion from the same earthy grocery store--it's called J/A/S/O/N. The o is with an umlaut (two little dots over it) so should be pronouned 'uh'.

Its not a lathering cream but a lotion. It's very, very odd. It has a really wierd smell like astringent or medicinal tea (I usually dislike teas) and somehow it brings back memories of something called green soap which my elementary school nurse used to rub onto every cut and scrape. Strangley so far I like it but two shaves does not count except for a very initial impression.

Marc
Lovingly known as Booboo soap? My goodness! You have found the fountain of youth in a tube! Or was it the water fountain at recess?:001_smile
I am amazed by how evocative some of these shaving scents are. Never being one to buy into aromatherapy and other new age rage, I poopooed and piffled at such comments until I ran into the QED Pine and Cedarwood Shaving Soap!

Re: Tom's... I'm still searching for it. You'd think it'd be easy to find, what with "eight million STORES in the naked city" and all, but so far, no dice. The Tom's of Maine website's store guide hasn't been all that accurate thus far in my search...

My search continues.

NYLaw said:
Re: Tom's... I'm still searching for it. You'd think it'd be easy to find, what with "eight million STORES in the naked city" and all, but so far, no dice. The Tom's of Maine website's store guide hasn't been all that accurate thus far in my search...

My search continues.

Try the hippiest, crunchiest most granola like natural health food store you can find and look in the toiletries section, I'd be amazed if you couldn't find it.

www.drugstore.com has it on sale if you can't find it locally.

-Collin

NYLaw said:

My search continues.

Just wanted to update and say that I have used this shave cream a few times, now, and am very impressed. It has been very moisturizing and produces a slick lather. Today, I did not even require an ASB it has been so moisturizing. The cooling effect from the peppermint oil is a joy, especially on these hot, humid days in the south. This will definitely keep it's spot near the top of my rotation, esp. in the summer months.

Tom's site said that most of the walgreens in my area carry the shaving cream. Well, I've been to at least 5 different ones and none of them carry the shaving cream. I even went to 2 different health nut stores here and they had just about every other tom's product except the shaving cream. Guess I'll have to venture out to Whole foods and see if they got it. I just don't want to drive an hour just to buy a $5 tube of shaving cream.
proxy.php

Top Bottom