What's new

Toms of Maine, how do you dissolve the "nuggets"?

I still have 2 tubes each of Calendula and Mint. I love the stuff, it lathers up nice, makes a nice slick cushiony lather, the only problem is the extra work it takes to dissolve the little white "nuggets" that are in the cream.

Is there an easier way to dissolve these nuggets? sometimes the water gets cold and my beard gets dry before they get dissolved.

I hesitate to "knead" the tube since it is a metal tube and i dont want to make holes in the tube.

Try squishing them in a shave bowl with the back of a spoon. BTW, where did you get them?

That would take a long time the "nuggets" are small, they look like really small curds of cottage cheese, there was talk here that they were parts of the vegetable oils separating but people still used them and had no problems.
I ordered them on Amazon back when word broke here that they were being discontinued.

Last edited:
I do actually knead the tube, and haven't had a problem. I only had to do it once and the tube has been good ever since.

Well, the used tube is to kinked to knead, so i'll use the rest of that up then when i get to the new tube i'll soak it in HOT water to soften the nuggets then knead away

The tube of Peppermint I have has kinda solidified. I find I'm using it like a shave stick: rubbing the cream on my face and using the brush to bring up a lather.

Guess they didn't use any preservatives in the stuff, huh?:001_tongu

The tube of Peppermint I have has kinda solidified. I find I'm using it like a shave stick: rubbing the cream on my face and using the brush to bring up a lather.

Guess they didn't use any preservatives in the stuff, huh?:001_tongu

Cant call them out for false advertising though

I had my first shave today with Tom's of Maine Mint and it was a wonderful minty wonderland all over my face! I applied some to the top of my brush and then swirled it all over my face. Tons of lather and did I mention the minty coolness of the shave? :velva2:

I was a BIG fan of the Tom's Mint SC. Thing of it is, I never used it with a brush. I always just spread it on my face and went to it with my razor.

It was a great cream, available locally and was dirt cheap. I was totally depressed when I found out it had been discontinued. Thanks P&G!!!!!!

Beerman

Just noticed I have a tube of the stuff that's been sitting around since I picked it up at a Tom's Outlet store a couple of years ago. I'm eager to get started with it but sad to hear it's been discontinued...

I was a BIG fan of the Tom's Mint SC. Thing of it is, I never used it with a brush. I always just spread it on my face and went to it with my razor.

It was a great cream, available locally and was dirt cheap. I was totally depressed when I found out it had been discontinued. Thanks P&G!!!!!!

Beerman

I think it's a lot better with a brush. If ever there was a product for which I'd harass the manufacturer to restart production Tom's would be it. Stupid neo-hippies and their facial hair.

I think it's a lot better with a brush. If ever there was a product for which I'd harass the manufacturer to restart production Tom's would be it. Stupid neo-hippies and their facial hair.

I believe they are called "Hipsters"
Get a lot of them in the bar i work at in the summer, they always order PBR in a can, they wear jeans that look 2 sizes too small, they sometimes wear trucker caps and glasses in the bar at night.

Anything "retro" is good, and if everyone else likes it, they don't.

I believe they are called "Hipsters"
Get a lot of them in the bar i work at in the summer, they always order PBR in a can, they wear jeans that look 2 sizes too small, they sometimes wear trucker caps and glasses in the bar at night.

Anything "retro" is good, and if everyone else likes it, they don't.

No, hipsters don't necessarily care about buying the natural, organic, Earth friendly products from Whole Foods. They aren't mutually exclusive though.

Top Bottom